Thread: honey bees?

Default honey bees?

can yall raise honey bees there?and if so do you have to do the hives different.as far as the cold ? just wounderin

Default Yes on the bee question!

Yes, there are beekeepers all around the state of Alaska with a large number of us here in Southcentral. I've never kept bees in the lower 48 so don't really know how we compare. I expect the biggest difference is that a lot of us don't "winter over" our bees here but choose to order new ones every spring. Some people try to keep them from year to year but it is difficult to do and they are not always successful. I order bees in 4 pound packages from California. I placed my order for 2010 last week and they will arrive in April. Last summer our weather conditions were excellent for bees. From our 5 hives we harvested about 400 pounds of wildflower honey. I keep bees in partnership with my granddaughters and we have a great time!!

Default bees

thats good. i cant keep mine somthing is killing my hives out .mights or mothes not shure i put strips out .seems to be problem around here .thx bet thats some fine honey n great thing for kids .