Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Where To Live?

Default So Where To Live?

Hey guys
    I will only have to drive to my work twice a week. I figured this means I could live a fair distance from Achorage. I very much prefer to live in a rural area but I will have to be able to get into Anchorage, I don't mind a long drive but I have to be able to do it in a 4x4. I want to be as close as I can be to where there is good small game hunting and even more important fishing. Any suggestions?

Default The Valley is where it is at...

If you want hunting and fishing and still get to Anchortown. I have commuted for over nine years and I had to do it about six days a week. You are blessed by your schedule.
    Does King , coho,sockeye, and chum salmon, trout, pike and rainbows wet your fishing appetite? Well, I have that within 20 minutes from my house, for salmon, 2 minutes for trout, in downtown Wasilla. I shoot small game birds,rabbits and moose within five minutes from my house. Can a person ask for more than that? I don't know but I'd sure wager a big NO!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Go South, Indian.......Bird Creek.......Girdwood. Your welcome in Sunrise, Alaska anytime........

The Valley is nice but growing. You still have decent hunting, fishing, ATV access, etc.. Knowing what I know now, I'd live Big Lake, Houston Area. Didn't have a cystal ball to see how much it would grow and loose backyard access to the great outdoors. If I could move, which I will in 5-6 years, I am heading for the Kenia Peninsula. Can't wait for 30 minute access to the boat harbor.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default IMO

I would say somewhere around Sutton would be nice. Every time I drive through that area, I am amazed by the trees. Great firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Go South, Indian.......Bird Creek.......Girdwood.
    I agree. Bird is a great go-between. The valley is crowded.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'd live in Moose Pass if I only had to drive to work twice a week. Close to Seward, Kenai River, excellent small game and bear hunting opportunities, and LOTS of backcountry hiking and skiing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd live in Moose Pass if I only had to drive to work twice a week. Close to Seward, Kenai River, excellent small game and bear hunting opportunities, and LOTS of backcountry hiking and skiing.

oh no kidding were i single again....!!! i have looked at the lodge for sale up in turnagan also.. but moose pass is a pretty place to be. and hour any direction and your set.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Another vote for south, anywhere between Moose Pass and Cooper Landing. Yeah, there may be avalanches to deal with, but wow, the bonus points. It would be over an hour's drive, but you'll have less than 1&#37; of the people to deal with compared to going anywhere within an hour's drive north.

Sunrise, Alaska....Sunrise, Alaska.........more bears than humans. Only 11 humans in lovely Sunrise, Alaska located on Turnagain Arm, at the terminus of lovely Six-Mile Creek, home to the finest white water rafting in all of North America. All of the men are rich and handsome. Only 11 summer residents (9 winter residents), lots of Wolves in the yard, bears are seen daily on the mountains which encompasses lovely, charming, Sunrise, Alaska. It is 37 miles closer to Los Achorage that Moose Pass (Which is almost 1/2 as charming as SUNRISE, ALASKA.

Located in the Heart for the staggering awesome Chugach National Forest, on a paved road, with electric and phone service available. From your front door you can view Mt. Goats, Black Bear, Brown/Grizzly Bears, Wolves, Moose, Caribou. and only 100 yards to world class trout, salmon fishing. Did I happen to mention that all of the men were rich, handsome, charming, outdoors men, and that there are NO women.

For kicks and giggles you can go into Hope, Alaska (9 miles by road) for breakfast, or to the U.S. Post Office. The only negative about Sunrise, Alaska is that one Billionaire is buying all of the land because with a bridge from Bird Point to Sniper Point, Sunrise, AK. becomes 33 miles from Los Anchorage. I kind of like Sunrise, Alaska. Can you tell.....????? Did I say that all of the men were handsome........and Charming.......????????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sunrise, Alaska....Sunrise, Alaska.........more bears than humans. Only 11 humans in lovely Sunrise, Alaska located on Turnagain Arm, at the terminus of lovely Six-Mile Creek, home to the finest white water rafting in all of North America. All of the men are rich and handsome. Only 11 summer residents (9 winter residents), lots of Wolves in the yard, bears are seen daily on the mountains which encompasses lovely, charming, Sunrise, Alaska. It is 37 miles closer to Los Achorage that Moose Pass (Which is almost 1/2 as charming as SUNRISE, ALASKA.

Located in the Heart for the staggering awesome Chugach National Forest, on a paved road, with electric and phone service available. From your front door you can view Mt. Goats, Black Bear, Brown/Grizzly Bears, Wolves, Moose, Caribou. and only 100 yards to world class trout, salmon fishing. Did I happen to mention that all of the men were rich, handsome, charming, outdoors men, and that there are NO women.
    *** LOL! SOunds great but on the city data site they list the polulation at 19, 9 men and 10 women! http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunrise-Alaska.html
    If what you say is true why do all those men want to live without any women around? Doesn't that seem, well sort of weird?
    I am starting to get the feeling that there are few girls around in Alaska.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    *** LOL! SOunds great but on the city data site they list the polulation at 19, 9 men and 10 women! http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunrise-Alaska.html
    If what you say is true why do all those men want to live without any women around? Doesn't that seem, well sort of weird?
    I am starting to get the feeling that there are few girls around in Alaska.

keep posting photos like the one in your into... and you will have many proposals forth coming your arrvial...

it is not as bad as it sounds or appears... heck i been married and divorced a few times before i met my current..( granted i imported her from ID) but there is only a shortage in area's that most avoid more due to remotness then population surveys... Sunrise/ hope AK... where the men are men and so are the women if you get my drift....

OH btw ... 9 people 19 personalities
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

[QUOTE=PMFB-RN;657189I am starting to get the feeling that there are few girls around in Alaska.[/QUOTE]

Yes there are few. More than what there used to be though it seems. The latest saying I am hearing is, "The odds are good, but... the goods are odd!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ... Sunrise/ hope AK... where the men are men and so are the women if you get my drift.... -- I expected that one

OH btw ... 9 people 19 personalities --But didnt see that one coming
    nicely done Vince, nicely done

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

[QUOTE=PMFB-RN;657189 why do all those men want to live without any women around? Doesn't that seem, well sort of weird?.[/QUOTE]

The Moose have such deep brown eyes, and long legs.........

keep posting photos like the one in your into... and you will have many proposals forth coming your arrvial...

*** (sigh) I picked that one for it's modesty.

it is not as bad as it sounds or appears... heck i been married and divorced a few times before i met my current..( granted i imported her from ID) but there is only a shortage in area's that most avoid more due to remotness then population surveys... Sunrise/ hope AK... where the men are men and so are the women if you get my drift....

*** LOL! You guys are a crack up. Are people in ALaska going to be as friendly when I get there as you guys have been on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post

*** (sigh) I picked that one for it's modesty.

*** LOL! You guys are a crack up. Are people in ALaska going to be as friendly when I get there as you guys have been on this board?

Yes, that's why many of the gals carry concealed weapons.

It is a medical condition called "Cabin Fever". A 20 foot stare in a 10 foot room sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    It is a medical condition called "Cabin Fever". A 20 foot stare in a 10 foot room sort of thing.

mine's padded

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

LOL, ya'll are gonna scare her off! Emily - only you can really know what kind of place you'd want to live in. I would suggest you find a short-term rental at first in or near Anchorage and just spend your free time for the first few weeks looking around the surrounding areas. That will give you a good "feel" for where you want to settle in.

For what it's worth, I live across the Cook Inlet from Anchorage, about ten miles outside Wasilla. It's fairly quiet, I like the area for the most part but it is growing and the current population has outgrown the road system. Good luck turning left on Knik Goose Bay Road anywhere near rush hour!

chico99645 suggested Big Lake or Huston - if you want more seclusion and fewer people, that's probably a good suggestion if you decide on the valley. Maybe even Willow since you only have to go in twice a week. Anchorage would be about 2 hours one way from Willow. And you'd be right where the "real" start of the Iditarod happens each year.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast