Thread: Kodiak Island question.....

Default Kodiak Island question.....

Alright guys, I've been to Kodiak many times and throughout the different seasons. However, it was all for work purposes and I've never been off the black top there. I've seen plenty of sea ducks and a few divers while steaming in and out of Women's Bay, but are there any puddle ducks there worth noting? I would imagine that there must be some mallards there. I've seen speckle bellies as well. Are there any teal or mallards around. Possibly some widgeon. I'd think if they were there that most of the shooting would be on the salt or at river mouths where they drain into the bays. Has anyone ever seen any Eurasion widgeon or Aluetian teal on the island? That might be a stretch!

I'm just trying to figure things out before I decide that I want that to be my next duty station.

Default yes & no

Yes there are teal & mallards there. A couple spots that have some ponds that allows some puddle duck hunting.
    Has anyone ever seen any Eurasion widgeon or Aluetian teal on the island? No, can't help you on that one.

I will send a pm sometime with a little more info, and if you go this time I will have to make it over while you are there.

Well just like when I was in Cordova.....You know you're welcome anytime.

I'm looking at Seattle, Kodiak Island, Ketchikan, and Juneau. I've got three years left here in Florida to decide which location I want to be hunting in next. Kodiak and Seattle are at the top of the list. I really want Kodiak so that I can get my eiders and possibly a shot at a king!! Seattle would offer some sea duck hunting along with both puddle ducks, divers, and geese though. I'm thinking Kodiak would be easier to get since not too many guys want to go there.

I've already secured permission from the wife for any of those locations so now it's just up to me to decide.

hap

There are lots of mallards and the shooting can be incredible... BUT... Kodiak mallards are simply the nastiest eating duck you can possibly imagine! I will eat mergansers before those mallards. Right now they are hanging out in the streams eating salmon eggs and have been ever since the salmon dropped them.

Ordinary widgeon, a few GW teal early, even fewer pintails early, and mallards are about all you will see for puddle ducks.

Divers are heavy to both goldeneyes, quite a few bufflehead, and some scaup.

Sea ducks you already have figured out, obviously. The specks you saw were not likely specks... Emperor geese are almost undoubtedly what you saw. No season, obviously, and I miss that.

The duck shooting is not even close to a shadow of what it was just 20 years ago...
    art

Talking

I saw a juvy Speck on the Olds River the first week of the season last year. I have seen a Eurasion Wigeon a couple of times off of Mission Beach and Gibson Cove. If you have a boat and can get into Gadwall, Pintails, Teal, Shovelers (rare) and of course countless divers.

If and when I get there I'll have a boat. I'm looking at probably bringing up an 18' Lund Alaskan with a 90hp on it. I know it's not a big water boat and it won't allow me to run around on the outside for deer hunts and such, but it'll at least get me around in Womens Bay and near town. The Coast Guard has morale boats that I can borrow, but they only run them in the summer time. No way I can let all those scoters, eiders, old squaw, and harlequins just fly around right there within view of town without giving them some kind of hell! Besides, I think the Lund will still be decent enough to do some halibut fishing out of as long as I don't go too far and watch the weather.

Default nastiest eating duck ???

Wow Hap I guess my taste buds must be off cause I love our mallards. While I like most ducks there is nothing better than our mallards except for those emperors.