Thread: Jet ski to Montague

Default Jet ski to Montague

Before I get any posts about people telling me I'm insane, let me first say, I'm not going to do it, ever. This is a curiosity post.....

A few years back I recall an article about some guys that got lost in the fog and had to be rescued because they decided to JET SKI out to Montague island to hunt blacktails. I recall someone saying they just ran out real quick, hunted and ran back....

Has anyone ever done this? If so, I'd love to hear about it...

Default Jet Ski to Montague

I sorta remember this....seems I remember that they got lost/stranded on Lone or Naked (can't remember for sure!) and got rescued. It's doable, no doubt...and you don't have to be crazy, just better prepared. I've got a couple of Kawasaki STX-12F's in my boat collection and they are very seaworthy (I've run them in 6' seas) and dependable (4 cylinder, fuel-injected four strokes) and good range (95 miles at full throttle and probably around 130 miles at cruise). We're in SE now and planning on runs from Juneau to Haines, Sitka and Petersburg this next season. Two South Africans took Yamaha's from Homer to Mexico last year - no support boat....(they might have been crazy!).

I know a guy and his buddy that have done it several times. I told him they were absolutely nuts although he disagrees. They actually have there jet ski's set up with GPS, radios, depth finder, etc. etc. but you are still open to the elements if it gets nasty. I have also seen 2 other jet ski's leave out of Seward more than once. I don't know where they went but they headed on out. They had rod holders etc. set up on theirs. I don't know but dry suit or not that water is to cold for me to risk ending up in it.

Default Doable

I was launching in Whittier while a group of six jet skis were putting in also. They were heading to Valdez. Said they've done it a few times now.

Default Lets go with this

Okay, so lets keep kicking this around

Lets say I'm insane enough to think about it. To head out, summer time, on a jet ski and skim out to one of the outter islands, grab a blacktail, fish some streams, whatever (obviously, I'm not going to be halibut fishing from it)...

What does it take? If we were planning a trip, how would we do it?

No offense intended, but I'm thinking those with the ability to pull it off don't need pointers on how to do it, and those that need pointers, really shouldn't be undertaking such trips.

Personally I don't see how you could carry enough gear, and carry back the meat on a jet ski.

I could see two gus on a 16' inflatable as a prudent minimum.

There is a difference between adventure and a dumb stunt.

Default Jet Ski to Montague

Without getting too far into the weeds, one can safely assume that there will be two "basic" posts on this subject: Those who have little/no experience on Jet Skis and those who do. I think it's safe to say that opinions stated by those with little/no experience on a Personal Water Craft (Jet Ski is a brand name belonging to Kawasaki....kind of like calling your SUV a Jeep, even if it's made by Toyota!) shouldn't be held in the highest of credibility, if you know what I mean. Armchair experts abound and I've heard them on this forum before. That being said, I don't consider myself a PWC expert. I have been riding PWC's for about five years and am a qualified PWC instructor/examiner for the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I ride about 40 hours a year in salt water. My STX-12F Kawasaki's are quite capable and more than seaworthy enough to make the trip from Whittier to Montague and return. I can easily haul a deer (or two) and enough equipment to safely make the trip. Yes, I'm open to the elements (just like a skiff, eh?), but unlike most all other boaters, I'll be wearing the same gear I always wear when I'm "Jet Skiing"....a Kokatat Dry Suit, Type III impact rated PFD, polypro undergarments, helmet, gloves and goggles. I carry a fixed mount VHF radio, a gps, depthfinder, survival gear, heaving line, tow line, PEPIRB, Throwable type IV, cell phone, water, etc. For a trip like Montague, I would carry extra fuel and probably throw in my sat phone, plus file a float plan and travel with another PWC. Now, Paul H, I ask you, is this an adventure or a dumb stunt? I must say that the two guys on a 16' inflatable (without good preparation and working within the limitations of the environment and their equipment) may be even less likely to survive especially if they have only a single outboard and no redundancy (remember, I'm taking two PWC's on this trip).

Often, I think people assume that since they haven't/wouldn't/couldn't do something, that it is crazy/insane/stupid to do....well, it might be. For them.

For me, it's an adventure. I'll send you pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

I suppose you put that very well Mike. I never thought they weren't a seaworthy craft. After all they use them from the beaches in Hawaii etc. where the water is alot more rough than most of use boat in. Now that you put it the way you did I would compare it to skiing in the sense that I enjoy downhill skiing but I would never entertain the idea of jumping off some of the mountains that the extreme skiers do. Its just not my cup of tea nor probably the rest that have commented on the insanity about taking PWC to Montague. As for the comments about PWC vs Jet Ski well you are correct but for Pete's sake its just a term that has a simple meaning that everyone understands brand or not.

Dixiedog, if you decide you are up for this don't skimp on gear. I would take what Mike posted and be sure that you are prepared for the weather.

Let us know how it goes. That should be one heck of a trip......

as i recall the mentioned incident they were hunting knight island. and the guy left his gps at home ....poor planning and prep. ended up on lone island. even if they had just a regular old compass and alittle knowledge of PWS they should have been able to get back. i'm not a user of this type of craft. but i would have no problem doing that type of trip with some experience on one and the right machine and gear. in my younger years i had made many a trip in my 14 or 16 foot inflatables that some thought was crazy but i was prepared and even to the point of carrying a small kicker for the case that my main motor went TU.
    Very do able trip and i think it would be a blast.....if properly experienced, prepared and equiped.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

A trip to Montague can be dreadful, even in a 40-footer. The worst feeling I ever had was crossing the Montague Strait in rough seas, only to find no safe anchor once there. Montague can be one of the most unforgiving places in the world.

Although it might be adventuresome and audacious, going from Whittier to Montague on a jet-ski for a lousy deer wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. I think jet-skis have a purpose, and Montague isn't one of them. Keep in mind that deer season is in the fall/winter. The weather can be horrible, with unexpected week-long blows. Even if you leave in nice weather, the chances of that weather holding out is slim.

I certainly wouldn't to the Naked Island route. Too much exposure to open water. I'd skirt around the edge, crossing Cochrane Bay, through Culross, accross Nellie Juan, over to Main Bay, inside of Crafton Island, through Dangerous Passage, on to the enterance of Icy Bay, over to Chenga, and then cross Knight Passage to Knight Island. Then you still have the worst left...crossing Montague Strait and dealing with finding a place to beach on Montague witout tearing your jet-ski up on the rocks. I suppose an alternative would be to shoot up to Green and then over to Montague. It isn't worth a deer, or permanently leaving your wife and kids.

On the other hand, two years ago I saw a group of 4 jet-ski's traveling up a remote river on the west side of Cook Inlet. They were geared-up with dry suits, etc. One was pulling some type of trailer/boat thingy that was hooked directly to the jet-ski. It had fuel and gear in it. One of the other three was riding double. They were traveling what I would say 1/4 throttle at about 25 mph, probably to save fuel. They beached to say hello, and said that they had come accross Cook Inlet from Anchorage. They looked very tired and beat. They could barely crawl off their machines. Their eyes were trashed from the salt. But they were proud of themselves. I've never seen a cup of coffee enjoyed so much.

I also remember talking with two fellows who jet-skied from the mouth of the Kenai River over to Kaligan Island. They did it twice. The first time it was calm and fast. The second time they ran into rough weather and a rip full of logs. One guy fell off and couldn't get back to his jet-ski because of the tide. They said they'd never do it again.

I met a guy in Hawaii that films surfers on those huge waves. He was testing a new Honda prototype. He said he had run (surfed) a 90-foot wave at speeds near 100 mph with it and had pictures in a local shop showing it. He said if you don't know what you're doing, you can sink one in rough weather very easily. This guy was nuts.

I jet-ski. I can tell you they can fill with water, stall the engine, and sink. If you fall off one in the tide, you take a huge risk of not getting back on it. And if you get in rough water with them, especially breakers, you better know how to ride and jump from wave to wave...for hours on end. In other words, you better be in shape.

I say no thanks.