Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhawk 5.5" too heavy, S&W?

Default Redhawk 5.5" too heavy, S&W?

Anybody else think about trading in their Redhawk .44mag for something a bit lighter? Not looking for a scandium per se, but holy crap! Maybe I need a better holster situation for my Ruger. I'm currently using a Bianchi leather hip holster and I've carried this on and off for 3 years now and It's about as comfy as strapping a brick to your side.
    I use this primarily when fishing and something has got to change. Any thoughts? Anybody else have the same issues and go to a Smith and Wesson?

Mountaintrekker

I swap back and forth between my Redhawk and my 4" 629. The Smith is a little lighter, but I don't really notice any difference.

I can bet though, that your problem starts with your belt. Wider and stiffer will probably solve all. I notice that either of mine seem "heavier" with a light belt or even a stiff one less than 2 1/4" wide. If all else fails, pick up a shoulder holster. I've got several older leather Bianchis, and I'm not even aware of the gun when I'm wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I can bet though, that your problem starts with your belt. Wider and stiffer will probably solve all. I notice that either of mine seem "heavier" with a light belt or even a stiff one less than 2 1/4" wide.
    I agree, a good wide stiff belt makes a huge difference, even when used for a little concealed weapon.

Agree with good belt and nothing wrong with hooking a pair of suspenders to it. To tight a belt can cut off blood or put pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Default Chest holster

Try a chest Holster. It's what I use. I fish all the time and it's very nice. It's in a good location should you need it and it has a cross strap that spreads the weight out. Also MAN UP.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I guess I'll be looking into a new chest or shoulder holster. "Man up" That cracks me up motorboatn!

Mountaintrekker

I carry a 4 inch Redhawk in a Simply Rugged Pancake holster and practically forget it's there. I can't imaging an inch and a half more barrel would make it that much heavier. I think these guys are steering you right. Belt and holster.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Anybody else think about trading in their Redhawk .44mag for something a bit lighter? Not looking for a scandium per se, but holy crap! Maybe I need a better holster situation for my Ruger. I'm currently using a Bianchi leather hip holster and I've carried this on and off for 3 years now and It's about as comfy as strapping a brick to your side.
    I use this primarily when fishing and something has got to change. Any thoughts? Anybody else have the same issues and go to a Smith and Wesson?

Mountaintrekker
    yup... i traded mine in for a ~5lb .44 magnum Desert Eagle!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up Buy two!

Weight vs other shooting characteristics: Half as heavy is a noticable difference. A friend I used to fish with frequently "forgot" his revolver, a S&W .357. This persuaded me when I decided to buy a revolver, to buy a light revolver that I would carry. What I remember about the 329PD the salesman showed me was that the Redhawk next to it weighed almost twice as much. The 329PD is very good for a hiker's gun -and half as light is noticably lighter. I didn't mind carrying it. And from posts by AOD member, "Hiker", it seems with magnaporting, the 329PD can be a reasonably shootable gun.

A few specs on these revolvers:
    Redhawks: 47oz, 49oz for the 4", 5.5" bbls listing for $890
    S&W: 629 41oz and 45.5oz for the 4", 5" bbls at $1,000-$1,100
    S&W: 329PD 26oz (now $1,300 with HiViz sights)

Shootability: However fine a lightweight .44mag revolver might be to carry, I found they can challenging to shoot comfortably or well. I like shooting and spent time learning some of the tradeoffs of different .44Mag dbl action revolvers. A new 5.5" Redhawk should be a different gun, strong, capable but heavier.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67444

Whatever and why-ever one chooses, I'd echo comments by others that the weight is best loaded onto a wide (leather) belt or maybe a good shoulder harness system.

1. Belt: I agree a good wide...leather belt works best. From the Simply Rugged website: "The most overlooked piece of gear, the belt." For all day wear on a 5-10 day float, a good wide leather belt was much more comfortable.
    2. Shoulder straps too: On an extended trip, I found the sportsmans holster great except for the single narrow shoulder strap. Any .44mag revolver plus 2 speed loaders weighs enough to cause some chafing if there's only one strap bearing the load. I found using the sportsmans holster on a wide, leather belt the most comfortable carry, but a good harness design with 2 wide shoulder straps might work well too.

The simply rugged stuff is tuff to beat. You could save some weight by going to a 4" 629, or maybe a Ruger SBH .45 Colt (They have an aluminum grip and ejector housing). I wore a 6 1/2" 629 in a chest rig for many years w/o a problem until I decided I wanted to wear something on my hip, thats when I started paying attention to gun weight.

I've got a friend who carries a S&W 500 with the 8 and 3/4" barrel in the guide's choice chest holster from Diamond D. He said it's perfectly comfortable all day. That's what I plan to get for my 460V.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

My loaded SW 500 in the holster weights 5 pounds even. In a chest holster it is very comfortable.

Smile good choices...

The chest holsters from Simply Rugged or Diamond D should distribute the weight better for you. A true cross draw holster will also center the weight more. I have a couple and the one Mernickle makes with the bear paw on it is pretty neat looking. I ordered one for a J Frame .22 and tell everyone it's my bear gun. You have to order it and specify the gun and belt loop size. I have owned a bunch of .44 mags. over the years and prefer the 4" S&W Mountain Revolver over all I tried. No free lunch though, as weight goes down recoil goes up. My favorite belt width is 1.5". Custom belts are expensive. One of the best deals I have found is the "double thickness" belt from Filson. I have been carrying hand guns on them for quite a few years. After you do all that then "Man Up". Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post

Mountaintrekker
    Mountaintrekker,
    I was actually thinking about trading or buying out right a new Ruger in the 44. I have an older 44 Colt Anaconda S.S. with a 5 barrel. I have been told that the Anaconda will not hold up to some of the custom full power loads out their. I did notice that the new Rugers had a substantial mass to them.
    Montana

BTW-

If you want to try a heavy belt "on the cheap," go by the Tandy store in Anchorage. Don't remember the exact price, but they're under $20 and I'm almost certain under $15. The store has a nice selection of unfinished belts with the snaps already installed. And it's about the best heavy leather I've ever seen in a belt. It's the only 2" belt I know of that's stiff enough for carrying a fairly heavy handgun. My pick of the litter is their 2 1/2", but it won't fit in all pant loops, so I compromise on the 2 1/4".

You don't have to be real handy to work with them either. Hack the blank off to length with a pocket knife or anything sharp, and you can drill the holes with an electric drill if you don't happen to have any punches around. Tandy has some great dyes and finishes, but if you want to stay cheap any shoe dye you have or see in a grocery store works just fine.

Redhawk, built like a tank......Strong as a tank........carries like a tank!
    I had a couple of them, 5.5" stainless and 7.5" blued, they were never on my hip! When it came time to walk out the door I grabbed a 29 Smith.
    I have tried about any 44 mag style you can name(revolvers only).
    As far as i'm concerned there was/is only one consideration when it comes to a 44 mag revolver, and that is the S&W 29/629.
    Yes, i've tried the 4" Taurus too.

Default S&Ws

The weight advantage of the S&W forged frame shows up when ounces count. I''ll second the motion for a 629 as a houster carry gun and a 329 PD for a pocket gun. I also carry a .500 S&W if I'm fishing at night or when there are few people around and the odds for a bear encounter are higher.

If you get a chest houster watch where it places the gun. If you are tugging on a pole the center of the chest can be in the way. The housters that place the gun under the arm in a horizonal position work best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Redhawk, built like a tank......Strong as a tank........carries like a tank!
    I had a couple of them, 5.5" stainless and 7.5" blued, they were never on my hip! When it came time to walk out the door I grabbed a 29 Smith.
    I have tried about any 44 mag style you can name(revolvers only).
    As far as i'm concerned there was/is only one consideration when it comes to a 44 mag revolver, and that is the S&W 29/629.
    Yes, i've tried the 4" Taurus too.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Simply Rugged also makes an adapter to use with their chest harness on your holster. I use it on my 329PD in a Galco holster. I also use it on my Simply Rugged pancake for my Super Redhawk.

Default Great choice

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I've got a friend who carries a S&W 500 with the 8 and 3/4" barrel in the guide's choice chest holster from Diamond D. He said it's perfectly comfortable all day. That's what I plan to get for my 460V.
    A 460v in a Guide's Choice w/ 2 reloads...very handy.
    Attached Thumbnails

gritlife, thanks for the pics! That looks like a perfect setup. I'll be picking one up for mine.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast