Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg--- Junk?

hap

Default Mossberg--- Junk?

On another thread I mentioned Mossberg and someone took exception to the location of my comment. So I thought I would open a new thread and see what happens.

I despise Mossberg for several different reasons but the politics and concern for customers is enough for me to stay completely away from the company. In 1996 Buck McNeeley on his show was shooting at a trap range with his sponsored Mossberg shotgun. There were repeated safety violations and general garbage in his show, but at one point he is holding the shotgun by the toe of the stock in his palm with the muzzle rsting on the concrete pad. He then proceeded to twirl said shotgun on the concrete while yammering away.

I sent a letter to Mossberg stating their sponsorship was not a good plan and listed a number of things Buck had done. They never responded in any way.

A month or so later Buck was arrested for shooting caribou, same day airborne, here in AK. He was never prosecuted in AK, just answered the Federal complaint and is now back on the air. Savage was sponsoring him for a while after his return, but I have no idea if Mossberg has sponsored him since his conviction and I do not know if Savage still is sponsoring his show.

Anyway, after his arrest there were several more shows of his on with Mossberg as a sponsor. I wrote another letter to Mossberg and it too went unanswered. I have written to most manufacturers about many issues over the years and Mossberg is the only company that has not responded promptly. Frequently the response has been a head-shaker, but the response was a start.

That is enough for me to unequivocably refuse to have anything to do with mossberg, even if their guns were not garbage.

The 100ATR bolt has been the subject of a number of catastrophic failures. Savage uses a similar system but has better quality control and parts. Anyway, the pin holding the bolt head on has been known to break. The shooter is not aware the lugs have not rotated into battery and when shot the bolt can come back with serious force. Faces and hands have been lost.

The ATR is the old Raptor and it has a long history of failures. There are plenty of other issues with the ATR in general and Mossberg bolt actions in specific, but that is enough for me to stay completely away from all Mossberg products.

Their pump shotguns are not in the same league with other brands for relaibility or handling. I currently have pumps from Browning, Remington, Ithaca, and High Standard. I have had a number of Mossbergs including the 500 and some of almost all makers. I am not guessing about what they are like. I have had fairly good results with most makers. An 870 I still have broke a firing pin in the area relieved for the retainer pin. Every once in a while it would have a light primer strike and a failure to fire. By the time I found the source of the problem the pin ends were peened to the point it had stopped having the occasional failure. I have also had stops that had not been staked properly (my fault) come out and cause a jam. After many, many thousands of rounds that shotgun is still going strong.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg and I used it for quite a few years...

Mossberg replaced the bolt on a 500 because it was cracked. They replaced a new coated special edition which I believe was a 535(?) because the finish was only covering about 90% of the metal. I have repaired a bunch of Mossbergs with function issues and now refuse to do any more. With significantly less history I have seen more problems with Mossbergs.

So my point is not to just bad-mouth Mossberg or make anyone feel badly about their guns. My point is to inform on real issues with Mossberg, the company, and Mossberg firearms.

From the serious standpoint I would not consider shooting an ATR from my shoulder, period.

I suspect some will take exception to my comments and I apologize in advance for hurt feelers, but these are not little things to me and it would take a lot for Mossberg to come around.
    art

I have never had any of their rifles but have and do have many shotguns. I have never ever had a single problem with any of them due to them being poorly made. In fact the only issue I have had was losing the adjustment sleeve off a choke after I took it off and put it in my pocket like an idiot. The 500 consistently passes the reliability and durability tests required by the military and does better there than the great model 870. In my view (and many others) the 500 is the Chevy of pump shotguns, not flashy but a dang good working pump for a reasonable price. I have 5 of their shotguns now ranging from 5 90 years old and all function flawlessly every time.

I do understand and respect your view, I myself have a similar distaste for GM products over my experience with them while many others swear by them and drive them every day with no trouble.

I don't know about their PR skills since I have never had a need or other reason to contact them. However I would say just because they did not reply does not say you were not heard or ignored by them. Do you answer 100% of the mail that comes to your door, I know I sure don't but I do look and evaluate 100%.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've had a 590 Mariner since shortly after the model was introduced. It's my primary bear/moose/bad guy defense gun aboard the boat on the salt, or by the cabin door. It gets packed around and knocked about alot, and receives little or no maintenance. I shoot it regularly and have had zero issues.

Don't have a TV and don't know or care who Buck McNeeley is, so can't comment on that.

I don't take offense to your post, and appreciate your opinion and experiences, but from my experience I can't say anything bad about the product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mossberg pump gun.

I have to admit that I've never heard of Buck McNealy either.

Haven't bought any Mossbergs recently, but all I own deliver excellent service and quality within their price range. Kinda reminds me of Stevens shotguns of old. Everyone pointed their nostrils skyward when they were available, but now that they're gone they bring pretty good prices if you can even find them on the used market.

If Mossberg has problems, they'll get the message and fix them quick, or they'll be off the market too. Nothing in their current line interests me, as a matter of fact, but I got my eye open for a couple of older pieces. Maybe I oughta pickum up before the price jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Stevens shotguns of old. Everyone pointed their nostrils skyward when they were available, but now that they're gone they bring pretty good prices if you can even find them on the used market.
    Got a Stevens 20g pump and they are good but the wife went and picked herself up a 500 in 20g because she (like me) likes the 500 much better, the Stevens is just not near as slick and fast as a Mossberg. If you know someone needing a Stevens 20 gage pump using gun send them my way and I will give them a good deal on it.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think most of their 500 series shotguns come across from Mexcio like their Mavrick always has. Lots of T.V. folks are jerks like Tom liveing off his dad Grizt name. I feel the same way about HS percission useing the AH that murdered Vickey Weaver as their spokeman of how well their rifles work

Default None taken...

Far too often, I see people bad mouth a brand and have no reason why, or at least don't provide one. Mossberg is always one of tose brands that gets trashed. Before I started working in the outdoor media, I sold guns. I had people come in all the time and say this or that. Thing is, I sent back more Remington 870s than I ever did Mossbergs.

I totally respect your opinion on the subject. You've given a lot of solid reasons why you don't like Mossbergs and to each their own.

Not ever Mossberg is a good gun. They had the 695 bolt slug gun that was sub par. Early ATRs were less than spectacular and their lever gun is laughable. I see no point to the 535 either, but who am I to judge?

The 4x4 rifles have so far shown to be solid and their 835/935 shotguns are really solid workhorse guns.

Buck McNeely is a black eye to the hunting world and how that idiot ever got a show or sponsors...

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Surely there would have been a recall if the bolt was defective. I know they recalled a bolt-action shotgun but never heard of one for any of their bolt rifles.

I wouldn't consider any of their products to be top shelf but they're serviceable at their price point. You do get what you pay for.

As for their poor decision made 15 years ago on whom they sponsor, that alone should hurt them more than any internet forum attack.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

best shot gun i ever owed was a $109.00 Mossberg maverick from the Kmart...pumped & fired every time i asked it too... sounds like some personal issues with them... but then again... i could possibly understand them not answering .....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    Buck McNeely is a black eye to the hunting world and how that idiot ever got a show or sponsors...
    Sounds like I haven't missed much in not knowing who Buck McNeely is!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sounds like I haven't missed much in not knowing who Buck McNeely is!
    Me too, but if he's anything like the guy that had the PHONY Southern Accent, Something, Tucker?? we CERTAINLY didn't miss much.

Here's a quote, "An what an exciting time we Hay'yud." And, that wasn't the worst one either. Hearing him talk, was enough to gag a maggot. IMO, it was "Put-On".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Most repairs on Mossberg shotguns are for the action bars that can break by hard pumping. Also if your safety button hasn't broke keep up the good work.JMHE

hap

My point is to explain why I think Mossberg is bottom tier gear and why I would not own it under any circumstances. There are a number of easily Googled lawsuits on most Mossberg firearms with detailed descriptions of the issues.

Buck McNeeley is a real piece of work. I have only been able to stomach a couple of his shows for the duration, but he is beyond pathetic... On a black bear for example he decided to shoot the first bear on the bait though he had said he was holding out for an 8' boar. After the first bear he said he was going to hold out with his second tag for a monster... And then shot the next dink in the barrel... So he called it an 8' bear!

I believe it is bad practice to buy new junk when quality used stuff costs about the same.
    YMMV
    art

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    best shot gun i ever owed was a $109.00 Mossberg maverick from the Kmart...pumped & fired every time i asked it too... sounds like some personal issues with them... but then again... i could possibly understand them not answering .....
    Vince
    I would suggest you refrain from directing barbs at me. If the maverick is your best shotgun I can just imagine the competition.
    art

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Vince
    I would suggest you refrain from directing barbs at me. If the maverick is your best shotgun I can just imagine the competition.
    art
    imagine you may.... but you make my own point..

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

hap

...and you, mine.

Probably the bad rep for Mossberg rifles comes from the old 800-810 series of bolt actions. They were pretty crude compared to the rest of the herd in their day. Most common repairs on 500 series shotguns are the previously mentioned weak sister safety button, just buy a steel replacement now. Actually rarely repair or replace action bars on 500's. Winchester 1200 series are the culprits there,with bad, small spot welds. Maverick action bars are much weaker than a 500 due to the attachment point at the forend being molded plastic as opposed to steel. Also on a 500 the front of the trigger guard is retained by two small tabs of plastic, which will break off if the trigger guard is mashed or hit from the bottom, leaving the trigger housing floating around and unable to do its job. I've replaced dozens over the years. Of course, most of these problems are wounds that are self inflicted by the user. I could point out problems on any pump shotgun, none are perfect, and we all have our preferences, sometimes even the best companies squeeze out a lemon. But, for my money, I'll take an 870 any day of the week.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Here's my philosophy on the subject: I've learned that many people have very strong opinions about which product is the best, or worst and some of them have good reasons, others don't. Some who are very vocal about their reasons have a good deal of experience on the subject, and are good folks to learn from. Others are simply vocal for the pleasure of hearing their own voice.

So how does someone who is honestly seeking information on the quality of a product decide which is which? Particularly when the advice being given is read on a computer screen? The answer - you can't know. You have to take everything with a grain of salt, and you're much better off getting advice from someone you know and trust.

That is what I did when I was deciding which shotgun to purchase. I don't have a lot of money, and I wanted to be sure whatever I bought would serve me well for many years. The shotgun that was recommended to me by someone with a great deal of experience, someone who I know and trust and who I know would never intentionally steer me wrong: The Mossberg 500. I have a few thousand rounds through mine so far with zero issues. I've shot everything from 2,3/4 low-brass to 3" breneke 600 grain slugs and it has never skipped a beat.

As for Mossberg's politics and failure to respond to you hap - well, that disappoints me. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. I have no experience with their customer service because I've never needed to deal with their customer service.

I'm afraid if I looked that closely at every company though, there would be some issue I did not agree with, and some skeleton would come out of the closet. If I used politics to determine which companies earned my business, I would have to make everything myself.

I am happy with my Mossberg products, for what it's worth.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Not badmouthing the brand necessarily, but I've owned 3 Mossbergs. One, is is a 590 Mariner, and the magazine tube is flawed, or has the wrong spring. It only chambers 2 rounds, and then the mag spring hangs up. You have to hold it vertical to chamber the next round, since the follower is stuck in the tube.

The other two 500's work fine, as long as they're clean, so I guess I'm 66% in favor of Mossberg's.

I personally have not had time, or patience to send it back to get fixed, and will give a **** later on what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    If I used politics to determine which companies earned my business, I would have to make everything myself.
    Amen! (oops, that was almost religious... my bad )

This statement just about sums it all up very nicely. Well said.

As for not hearing back from a company... approach dictates response. Based on some of the "approach" used around here, it's no wonder the company didn't respond.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast