Thread: X-C ski packs?

Default X-C ski packs?

I replaced my dearly departed snowshoes this weekend with a set of backcountry XC skis. So far they're a hoot and I'm finally getting the hang of it. On snowshoes I usually pulled a small pulk sled but I need to revamp that set up for skis.

In the interim I'm looking for suggestions for packs (thinking large daypack, 25-30L to accomodate bulky gear and strap skis too?) to wear while I ski from those of you with more experience...

Any ideas?

If I plan on strapping my skis to my pack at all I like the packs that are specifically designed for hauling skis. I have been using a North Face Off Chute 25 for a few years, but they're just one of many companies who make quality ski packs. I look for one with specific pockets for shovel and probe, as well as a strap system designed for skis-not snow boards.
    Beyond that its a matter of how much volume you require. Also I've found that having extra straps on the exterior top and/ or bottom of the pack is handy for the layer you want as soon as you stop moving.
    m

Default Why lose the pulk?

Why not just keep your sled for skiing? When we do overnight ski trips, we use our home-made sleds. We tried skiing carrying a pack and it was a real non-starter for us. We use plastic sleds with rigid poles attached to military web gear shoulder harnesses, and they work great. I'd try skiing with your pulk first before investing in a pack.

-Tom-

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Why not just keep your sled for skiing? -Tom-
    I don't want to lose the pulk- I just need to modifiy it for skiing with more rigid poles that are long enough to ski in front of. I've been looking at several homemade and one commerical pulk($$$) setup.

What did you use for poles from harness to sled? I've got fiberglass now and they're OK but not long enough to ski with (fine for snowshoes though).

I did try to ski with a pack that I currently have but its not really big enough for very much bulky winter gear. Even at a pretty light 15lbs it did make balance a little more unstable. I'm just a beginning skier so I'm sure that will get easier.

I thought a pack might be more convienent for lunch and an couple of extra layers. For more weight I'm convinced a pulk is the way to go.

Default Pulk poles

We used conduit and rented a bender- worked really well. I can take some photos and post them to give you an idea. We've skied with ours for years and the system works like a charm.

-Tom-

VAUDE SNOW RIDER 20 WINTER BACKPACK - 1220CU IN
    Description: Vaude designed the Snow Rider 20 Winter Pack for unparalleled freeride comfort. This ultralight ski pack features welded seams and a removable stretch hip belt. The main compartment fits your shovel, probe, beacon, and lunch.
    Added: 2010-01-26 @ 17:34:04
    Price: $42.99 [$109.95]
    Deal Count: 3 time(s)
    Steep And Cheap - 2009-12-10 @ 10:30:06 - $49.99
    http://www.gearforsports.ca/index.ph...w&pinf=feature