Thread: million dollar ?

Default million dollar ?

this is for yall that moved to alaska with family>how did yall go about the move .ive got teenage girls ,small farm ,good job .but still cant stop tryin to figure out how to pull this off.an get out of the RAT RACE.im tired of it not worth it.dont have time to stop n enjoy .wearen me out. guess this may be more of a vent than a ? i dont know.thanks yall .

If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. Have you talked to your family about it? What do they think about the idea? I know the economy is worse in the lower 48 than it is in AK. That's something to consider if you try to sell your place.

If you are serious about making the move though - start searching for jobs in AK, send out a resume, sell everything but what you plan to bring along and just go for it.

I did it the easy way. I enlisted in the army and they handled the move for me. Now I aint leavin'.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default they say

no way school n basketball n freinds n family.i dont want to mess up there lives by my wants is the big thing i recon.an wife says shes stayen wright here .

Have you visited Alaska with your wife? Bring her up for two weeks in June or July. See some areas and just enjoy the trip. If she's interested in the idea by the end of the two weeks, then start looking at it more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
    no way school n basketball n freinds n family.i dont want to mess up there lives by my wants is the big thing i recon.an wife says shes stayen wright here .

You cannot always make your dreams their dreams, it's a sad reality.

That said....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M
    Have you visited Alaska with your wife? Bring her up for two weeks in June or July. See some areas and just enjoy the trip. If she's interested in the idea by the end of the two weeks, then start looking at it more seriously.
    Brian has good advice here, but I would add bring the WHOLE Family up for a visit (if they haven't been here). Spend the time researching things to do that hold the interests of every Family Member. Don't sell them your dream.....give them the chance to make their own.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

My wife worked a summer in AK before we met, and we came up for our honeymoon. I fell in love with the state before our honeymoon was over, and we said let's move up here. It took 3 years, and two vacations up here before we were able to move. Fortunately our kids were babies, and we were a young couple so didn't have much to take with us.

I will say in the 13 years we've been here, I've seen an aweful lot of guys at work that after 1 or 2 years, their wives say they are moving south, with our without the guy.

For us, it was the best choice we could have made, and I can't imagine living in the lower 48.

Default well she decided .

You cannot always make your dreams their dreams, it's a sad reality.hippie thx made me think .

there not moven any time ! (quote).ok she decided for me to save my vac,sick days and go one a few wk trip . were would yall go for a good stay .like to hunt an fish but dont know if i could fit the bill no clue on how much money im looking at .?thanks yall guess when you get 40 somthin n have wife n kids n BILLS .my dream days are over should have bit the bullit an moved when i was young .i just didnt know i would still have the want to .to go to alaska . id like to go an be able to live like i used to when i was a kid here in alabama.life was slow ,i could come n go any were i wanted as far as hunting or fishing in ponds or in the tn river.run my dogs ,not have to worry about them not knowing were some one property line was.shoot ive treed in ol man pasture woods at 2 oclock in the morning an him come out on porch n listen to the dogs tree.never said one ill word .freindly folks are far n few inbetween here seems .people fuden over prop lines ,putting gates up with locks .signs every were no hunting or tresspassing .recon why they dont stay in city .maybe im just a abit slow n cant figue out how to get with program.had man from atlanta ga move here an bought 90 acers told me that .i was squirrel hunting with my cur dog.sorry for all the long winded hot air .thanks yall guess ill not be yall GOOD neighbor. dont let folks change your ways .it will be like here after a few yrs.enjoy the peace an freedom

Getting that way up here already...
    BTW, we just moved a friend and her Daughter up here from Tampa area. They are like children, just in awe of this place! The Daughter is 13 and made friends immediately at school. We have all of the same sports, and if your kids are good down in Bama they will be very good up here. I was born in Birmingham to a long line of coal miners. My dad had enough of that life, loaded up an old 70's cougar and headed north. I loved growing up here, it was much as you described your childhood. Hunting grouse in the yard etc. It does get cold, but there are clothes for that and you can't go sledding in AL! We live a normal life up here, if you have it in Bama we have it up here... Well cept the snakes, crickets and whitetails.

Take a trip, do some fishing and see this place. Drive around Anchorage and the valley see how people live. It's another state, not another planet

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ... We have all of the same sports...

There is no football in Alaska. There are a few people running around with an oblong ball. Repeat: There is NO FOOTBALL in Alaska!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default another ?

what about the train .would it be a good thing for me to do starting out to see more of alaska in short period of time?when i go .read were you can get off train n catch it on the way back in a day or so . or how would yall go about your 1st trip .to help decide were you might start lookin for a place.

Default ireckonwhatyouzguyssayisgoodnuffforme

mountainboy just geter dun and muv up here i reckon you can mmuve yer dogs up here under a porch too yall hav a gud trip and member to drawl up a batch of eats when the time is gud nuff luck good trip

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    There is no football in Alaska. There are a few people running around with an oblong ball. Repeat: There is NO FOOTBALL in Alaska!
    Barrow not only has a football team but, they put in a real football field and have uniforms. This is the link I believe:

sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=tundra

Default Finding freedom in Alaska?

It sounds to me what you want Alaska to be, may not be at all. That slow and full of freedom that you think you want in your life, I believe it's a state of mind and can be had anywhere. That said if you live here and live simple, I know for a fact that a great life can be had here. If you are like most people who can never get enough stuff and want that big house and fancy truck right away its going to cost you here a lot of $ and your freedom. I don't know maybe 60,000+ people have to drive that trip in and out of the valley every day, dodging the trucks that just can't seem to get there without flipping up side down in the ditch like every day of the winter. I think there have been so many people coming here of late that just want to bring their same comfortable life with them and they don't really want change in there life other than they want it to be pretty to look at. Alaska is pretty to look at but there are much easier places to live than here and yet I don't see myself living full time anywhere else.
    It's so easy if things aren't just right where ever we are to want to dream of a better place. Alaska is a dream place but know that night mares are some times part of that dream.
    Life's good and the fish will be running soon. I'd say don't sell your place until you come up and see if bumper to bumper traffic is what you want. And that's just to get to your fishing hole.

I think Phish is referring that there is no quality H.S. football up here. Several Alaskan's have made the NFL and considering the small amount of players up here, that says a lot. I'd say your odds of playing college ball coming from up here are as good as anywhere else per capita.

Now..I have teenagers. I put my dreams aside for them every day. There is NO way I would pull them away from their friends and their school. Four years is a very short time to wait and give your children what they want.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
    what about the train .would it be a good thing for me to do starting out to see more of alaska in short period of time?when i go .read were you can get off train n catch it on the way back in a day or so . or how would yall go about your 1st trip .to help decide were you might start lookin for a place.
    Fly into Anchorage, rent a car, drive E to GlennAllen, take the tok cutoff N all the way to Fairbanks, head S on the Parks hwy back to Anchorage, keep going S to Homer, hit Seward on the return to Anchorage. That's roughly 1600 miles, and the best way to see the state. The train only goes from Seward to Fairbanks, so you'll see alot more driving that route. That trip can be done in a week, and you can camp out the whole time (in the summer) so save quite a bit over hotels or bed and breakfasts. The train is pretty spendy, I bet if you compared a rental car for a week and fuel vs. 2 train tickets from Anchorage to Fairbanks and down to Seward and back the car wouldn't cost any more, may actually be a fair bit less.