Thread: Where to send your friend starting out

Default Where to send your friend starting out

Flying thru Anch next week, got a day and a half to kill and am wondering "where you guys would send your friend if he was starting out reloading," what shops with cool owners or Excellent folks working for them who know what they are talking about, Good deals on equipment, etc.

Really NOT looking for the Walmart of Sporting Goods stores but the Local guy who everyone respects and appreciates for helping them get started.

At this point I don't know anything, but determined to get started soon and figure Anch will have lots of stuff and good folks to talk to in comparison to starting out here in Kodiak,

You who are shop owners also, don't wait for someone to mention your shop, you know if you are into it and know what you are doing, I'd really appreciate some help finding a variety of info while there and no time to wander around.

Thanks, semi directions to your fav shop is appreciated also

I haven't bee there yet, since I live in Wasilla and I rarely got to Anchorage, but Wild West Guns seems to be one of the most popular gun shops in all of Alaska. The Kid is here on the forums, and he works there.

Here's a link with a map:

Wild West Guns

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Go to Great Northern Guns... I have never been to WIild west guns...

I think Great Northern Guns matches best what you're seeking. Here's a link that may help:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...ed=0CAkQnQIwAA

GNG has been around for many years, and it's a guy's place to hang around and talk for sure. I've been a customer there for many years. Boondocks in Eagle River is also a fine store that I use...not too much of a drive out there. Both carry reloading equipment and supplies. Alaska Custom Firearms is a sponsor of this forum...I've been in there a few times, but not much.

Realize that these locally owned and operated stores are not necessarily your best price performers, but sometimes they aren't too far off. I personally like to spread my money around to the local guys. However, I also shop SWH, and I do mail-order stuff from Cabela's and Midway.

The basics of handloading are not hard to learn. I pretty much taught myself the basics, like many others have. Buy an RCBS kit and get going with one cartridge to start out. It's when you start handloading for extreme accuracy and/or velocity that it becomes very interesting and much more complicated. That's when you'll want to hang around here and other places to get further information beyond the basics.

Doc

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for these responses guys, I have had a great experience at Great Northern Guns, went ahead and bought the RCBS kit there even though it was a bit cheaper at SW I felt the guys at GNG went so far out of their way to help me with the most obscure questions I had to spend my money with the local guys. Even when the store was packed with customers someone always came over and began answering questions. Man, JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR

Been back for several items to fill out what I need and the help continues at a high level. I did fiind a wide variety of bullets at Sportsmens and one guy who knows what he is talking about to help so I have spent some there also.

Something about the big chain store though that even with savings I feel like I am supporting somebody who doesn't appreciate the business as much as the local guys,

Glad I asked you guys, and Thanks Again for your advice

Nicely done and thanks for the follow-up post, sir. Keep in touch with the guys (and gals) here...a boat load of questions will develope as you pursue your new hobby.

Doc