Thread: Nice Steak Marinade

Default Nice Steak Marinade

We have been working on some really nice moose ribeyes and loin steaks lately and I recently came across this marinade. It is my new favorite BY FAR!

In a large, flat ceramic dish (caserole or cake pan) mix:

1 large shallot minced
    3 cloves garlic minced
    2-3 tablespoons sesame oil
    1/2-3/4 cup soy sauce
    2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2-3 tablespoons Heinze chile sauce
    1 teaspoon ground pepper

Marinate steaks for about an hour or so turning ever 15 minutes. For 1" thick steaks cooked medium rare grill over hot coals for about 4 minutes per side until you get a nice carmalized finish on each side.

I have been cooking these up along with a moose roast every weekend and my wife is asking when moose season opens again! You guys need to try it.

Default Heinze?

That sounds really good - except maybe the Heinze chile sauce part. Any word on availability of that? Or what else it can do? Or reasonable substitutes?

Chile sauce works great in cocktail sauces and most jamaican sauces. Mixed with ginger, molasses, curry blend, lime juice, and a few secret ingredients yields a wonderful punch to shrimp or light fish.

That marinade is screaming for some extra acid!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like to marinate my moose steaks in Panko and fry till golden brown and smother in country gravy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That sounds really good - except maybe the Heinze chile sauce part. Any word on availability of that? Or what else it can do? Or reasonable substitutes?
    I know what you mean and thought the same thing as well, but it is really quite good. The chile sauce is found near the ketchup/mustard area in the market. Sometimes I will do a 50/50 mix of Heinze chile sauce and asian hot chili sauce if I want to kick it up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i like to marinate my moose steaks in Panko and fry till golden brown and smother in country gravy
    Country fried steak meets japanese panko. Talk about asian fusion cooking!!!

A good country fried steak is hard to beat sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    That marinade is screaming for some extra acid!
    I agree if it was a tenderizing marinade, but this is purely a flavoring marinade. It is sweet and tangy and really grills up nice.

Sounds great. Will have to try it for grilling. I usually just pan fry my steaks in carmelized garlic and butter, then make a Hunters Gravy and smother it in gravy with garlic whipped potatoes. Its my comfort food!

Chisana that sounds like an interesting marinade and one I will try out in a few weeks!

I have been using the same marinade for years now and need to branch out. Just been using Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, olive oil, ground mustard, and montreal steak seasoning.

Chico a mans comfort food is supposed to be a cold beer didn't you know that?

BroncoBuddy

I know your gonna freak, but I'm not much of a beer man. I six pack in my house can last months,especially now since my son left for Airforce Tech School. I'm a white semi sweet wine drinker, Preferably German wines like Auslese, reisling etc... A little wine for what I'm cooking and a little wine for me, but would be glad to share a beer with you when you get back from the Rocky Sandbox. You'll be home before you know it.

Default simple

Worchestire ( Spelling ???) black pepper and onoins. Marinate for 3+ hours.

Then I use a store baught steak seasoning that perfect on moose. Coat both sides and grill to Med.

If you want to know the steak seasoning just ask. I was suprised on how well I like this specific brand,

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Chisana that sounds like an interesting marinade and one I will try out in a few weeks!

I have been using the same marinade for years now and need to branch out. Just been using Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, olive oil, ground mustard, and montreal steak seasoning.
    I think you'll like this marinade a lot Rob. The mixture you mentioned is pretty close to what I have also used over the years.

I tried it on chicken strips tonight and it was really good on the grill

We had it tonight on venison backstraps and also stuck some mushrooms in the marinade and we enjoyed it quite well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmmmm steak, chicken, mushroom marinade....

i better go get some bottles...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks guys you all have me drooling for some real food!

Two more weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Thanks guys you all have me drooling for some real food!

Two more weeks!
    I heard your flight is going to be delayed a few weeks.

Glad you guys liked the marinade. It is a good one.