Thread: 22 LR Case Failure

Default 22 LR Case Failure

I was plinking off the front porch today with my Win 52A with Remington bulk pack ammo, when I got a face full of smoke. I have shot quite a bit of 22 ammo in my life and never heard of, or had this happen before. Really got my attention, for sure know I don't want it to happen with a centerfire. Anybody else ever had this happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's never happened to me, but this isn't the first time I've heard about problems with the Remington bulk stuff. I'm glad you weren't hurt, did it damage your rifle at all?

Just an idea - post the lot number as a warning to others who might be using it. Might want to give Remington a heads-up too.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The plastic case says, "Made in England".

Is that where Remington 22 RFs are made now, or was it just the plastic case?

Nope, never hoppen to me.

I did get hit by a richocheted fragment from a 22 Mag. 25 yards away.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Most Rem ammo is US made although they do import some Eley from the UK. I would recommend shooting that batch of ammo in a different gun, or not shooting it at all until you determine the cause of the failure.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Rem. rimfire ammo is ****.... I have had soo many bad primers and missfires it not funny...

CCI and Federal is where its at

Default .22 RF ammo failures

I recall a few failures of .22 LR ammo over the past 40 yrs or so but I don't recall any details other than a bit of smoke where the case ruptured at the very edge of the rim. I guess with the many billions of rounds of .22 LR manufactured there are bound to be some failures.

I've always found Remington .22 ammo to be very dirty leaving a lot of unburnt powder and gunk in semi-auto guns. Winchester Super-X and CCI Mini-Mag always seemed to work the best for me.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default I have seen it

As already said with so much rimfire loaded every year, theres buond to be a bad one sometime. If not the ammo your rifle could be out of headspace, (yes it can happen with a rimfire), or you have excessive firing pin protrusion, pinching the odd thin casehead too much and putting a hole in it which subsequently ruptures.

Probably just a bad cartridge, but goes to show you why it's important to wear safety glasses no matter what we're shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Winchester Super-X and CCI Mini-Mag always seemed to work the best for me.
    Me too, love the Mini-Mags best!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Rupture

The rupture was about 90 degrees away from the firing pin imprint, and have compared imprints with another Win. M52A.....No noticable visible difference that I can see. I think I am just the "lucky" one to get a bad round. Will proceed with caution and safety glasses.
    I agree Rem. bulk packs are dirty and inconsistent, some worse than others, but my 10/22 likes them, and they are cheap and available. Have some Rem. Eley and CCI and am always keeping my eyes open for more.....THNX

Default Once...

I had a similar failure, about five years ago. BUT, it was in an absolutely filthy semi-auto, that blew the entire end of the case off, which then fell out into my hand. When I disassembled the rifle, the firing pin had been dry fired so many times that the end that was struck by the hammer had peened out and wedged forward. Couple that with the added friction from the filth, AND a similarly filthy chamber that added a bunch of resistance to the case, that, well, the cartridge most likely worked just like it should, just without the benefit of being completely chambered. That is, mechanically induced gross excess headspace.
    I can imagine that it wouldn't take much of a flaw in the brass to create the failure you experienced......In any event, Remington SHOULD get a jingle and an explanation of the event.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    As already said with so much rimfire loaded every year, theres buond to be a bad one sometime. If not the ammo your rifle could be out of headspace, (yes it can happen with a rimfire), or you have excessive firing pin protrusion, pinching the odd thin casehead too much and putting a hole in it which subsequently ruptures.

Probably just a bad cartridge, but goes to show you why it's important to wear safety glasses no matter what we're shooting.
    My guesses as well -

... Or the rifle has been dry-fired so many times that the firing pin has hammered away at the interface of the .22lr case rim and outer edge of chamber, thus creating a potential slight 'un-chambered' escape for some energy.

I had a case from a remington bulk pack split all the way down the side.
    Was a little louder than the rest, so I took a better look at the case.
    thing was really messed up.
    I shot that thing out of a henry lever action.