Thread: New Gardner in Fairbanks

Default New Gardner in Fairbanks

My wife and I are going to put in our first garden this spring. We have a nice spot with lots of sun. I cleared the land last summer and tilled it. I am planning on tilling again this spring and then planting.
    Just wondering what we should really plan on growing in our first year garden? Are there certain plants that would do better?
    I hear potatoes grow well so I am definitely planning on those and some carrots.
    Any help, ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

May I ask why you're planning to till the dirt? I'm new to this gardening thing too, but I've done a lot of reading, and more and more gardening experts are recommending against tilling the soil. Tilling destroys the structure of the soil and the microbe foodweb that benefits your plants. When we plant this spring we'll be rolling the roots of the starts in some mycorrhizal fungi and planting them straight in - no tilling required. We'll also add some compost, but otherwise that's all that is needed from what I understand.

One of the best books I've read on the subject is Teaming with Microbes - A Gardeners Guide to the Soil Food Web. Might be worth a read during these cold winter months.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Brian Tilling up here is nearly required to work the garden.. most our soils left hard pan will shed the water when dry, make weeding extremely difficult as well stall growth of your garden. tilling allows you to MOUND your rows to get a warmer root base. allows you to water that particualr area and lets the sun in better. not to mention maint is cut considerabley in a mounded row rather then flat ground.

your potatoes will definatly need to be tilled and heaped as they grow to support goot root and tuber growth.. if it runs out of room.. you will have 3-4 large spuds instead of 12-15 large spuds per plant.

but as i stated already... WARM mounds by the sun in short growing areas is critical..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Go to Holm Town Nursery and get some seed potatoes in April. They all grow good--get several types. A 5lbs bag of seed potatoes, each cut in half, will plant a 50' row spaced about a foot apart. Mound dirt on them when they are 6-10", then again when 6-10". You can keep potatoes in your crawlspace or garage all winter no problem.

Get some carrot seeds, too. Nantes or Danvers do the best for me. They freeze and can well.

Can't go wrong with lettuce.

Cabbage and cabbage family do good but really attract the moose, so be warned.

Gardening in Fairbanks is extremely rewarding. Our silty soil needs lots of fertilizer and water. Keep on tilling in grass clippings, leaves, etc... and you'll have a good garden in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tarp View Post
    Go to Holm Town Nursery and get some seed potatoes in April. They all grow good--get several types. A 5lbs bag of seed potatoes, each cut in half, will plant a 50' row spaced about a foot apart. Mound dirt on them when they are 6-10", then again when 6-10". You can keep potatoes in your crawlspace or garage all winter no problem.

Get some carrot seeds, too. Nantes or Danvers do the best for me. They freeze and can well.

Can't go wrong with lettuce.

Cabbage and cabbage family do good but really attract the moose, so be warned.

Gardening in Fairbanks is extremely rewarding. Our silty soil needs lots of fertilizer and water. Keep on tilling in grass clippings, leaves, etc... and you'll have a good garden in a few years.
    I agree that Holm Town Nursery is a great place to go.
    I'd also suggest going to Risse's Greenhouse off of Chena Hot Springs Road. They have a soil mixture there that has coconut in it and it grows plants very rich. We used that soil last year and our vegetables and flowers came out very nicely.

I agree that gardening in Fairbanks is very rewarding. We had lettuce from beginning July until September. We had some amazing chocolate cherry tomatoes for quite sometime. We had nice califlower and broccoli and quite a few other very successful vegetables that we started from seed.
    My husband encouraged me to plan some of my favorite flowers and they were beautiful last year! I am glad that he encouraged me to do that. This year I plan to do more flowers in the front of our place.

We start our plants every spring break. This means that we will have to start this next week. Our seeds we get are called Territorial and we purchased it from Holm Town Nursery. The corn started well, but we took a huge hit on it.

About 2 weeks ago, we had a moose finally come around, eat our pumpkins that we had in the garden and the moose dug into our garden for the tomato vines.
    Lurker.