Thread: Do you need ice scratchers with studs?

Default Do you need ice scratchers with studs?

Sorry for the dumb question. I picked up a set of ice scratchers this fall and never got them put on. Then I decided to stud my machine and put 54 studs in pairs of 2 down the middle of the track. Should I still install the ice scratchers now that I have the studs or should I just sell them? I end up riding on a bare/ patchy snow river a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question. I picked up a set of ice scratchers this fall and never got them put on. Then I decided to stud my machine and put 54 studs in pairs of 2 down the middle of the track. Should I still install the ice scratchers now that I have the studs or should I just sell them? I end up riding on a bare/ patchy snow river a lot.

Thanks
    If you have them use them. They will help save your Hyfax. Studs will help keep a liquid cooled machine run a little cooler when running the hard pack and in combinaton with the studs help even more.

Can you mount them on your ski's? If so that is the way to go. The studs should help keep your engine cool and ski-scratchers will keep your hyfax happy.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Can you mount them on your ski's? If so that is the way to go. The studs should help keep your engine cool and ski-scratchers will keep your hyfax happy.
    for the older sleds with the exchangers on the running board is the way to go... if they are in the tunnel only.. then scratchers are not necassary at all..

also 54 studs down the center may lead to some cornering issues..

your sled uses the edges of your track to turn and the center to drive; with the center pushing you may find your not turning quite as well as you should or are using more ski pressure than is necassary... one stud in each second or third pad down each side would make a large difference in your traction and turning
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I have both

I have a 2006 crossfire w/ 136" track. I studded it last year. I still needed my ice scratchers down to kick up additional snow when towing at low speeds on hard pack trail. I dropped the scratchers and my temp light went off soon after...

But when trail riding or faster, the studs break up the pack enough to keep it cool.

The machine is fan cooled. I have noticed with the studs down the middle it doesn't turn great but usually I'm riding rivers where super tight turning isn't a huge deal. I did notice the other day I might have heated up my slides a little bit, might as well put them on.

If you've got them put 'm on...it's an easy install.
    If your hyfax gets hot enough it will begin to melt and when you do stop the hot plastic will glue itself to your track clips. If this happens you then have to roll the sled on its side and break the track free.

Scratchers prevent this by keep a spray of sow and ice dust blowing into the rear suspension which lubricates the hyfax, and provides some extra cooling for liquid cooled sleds.

If your machine has reverse don't forget to put your scratchers up before backing up. (and use lots of loctite when installing them or they'll vibrate loose...ahem)