Thread: copper river

Default copper river

Tell me about the Cooper river.I have fished the Kenai about 30 days a year for the past 10 years but never been down at the Cooper.Any one have any pics?Is it a big river.Is it clear?What is a good place to stay?I have a wife and two small kids.

sorry I should have said Copper river.

Fixed the title for you so that you'll get more input. I've never personally fished the Copper, but I do know that it is a very large river, not clear at all, and is generally not targeted for sport fishing. If you want to know about dipnetting opportunities in the Copper River, check out the dipnetting forum. There's lots of info there on where to fish, what to expect, and services to use.

Default Copper river...

Elim...Once you get around Chitina hike or ride a 4 wheeler (or you use to be able to drive a high clearance vehicle) down to the Haley Creek.
    It's a beautiful creek which crashes through the wooded hillside and under railroad trestles. The fishing can be fabulous at the right time--usually July 10th or so.

I've caught five fish species (sockeye, grayling, dolly, rainbow, and whitefish) on one egg-sucking leech in one afternoon...
    You can cast pixies and catch sockeye (and rare kings) there too...although sometimes it is more 'mouth-snagging' than anything. They often stage/stack there in the eddy pool of the Copper and Haley.
    Watch for black bears.
    Proud to be an American!

I may have to check that out FullCrl thanks..only 20 min away..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The Copper river is big, fast, and muddy. Here are a few shots from the lower canyon area below the bridge and of Haley Creek mentinond previously. Not sure about the sport fishing but the dip netting provides some of the best fish there is.

Looking across the Copper to the mouth of Haley Creek.

The mouth of Haley Creek.

Looking up river from Haley Creek.

In The Canyon.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Elim...Once you get around Chitina hike or ride a 4 wheeler (or you use to be able to drive a high clearance vehicle) down to the Haley Creek.
    It's a beautiful creek which crashes through the wooded hillside and under railroad trestles. The fishing can be fabulous at the right time--usually July 10th or so.

I've caught five fish species (sockeye, grayling, dolly, rainbow, and whitefish) on one egg-sucking leech in one afternoon...
    You can cast pixies and catch sockeye (and rare kings) there too...although sometimes it is more 'mouth-snagging' than anything. They often stage/stack there in the eddy pool of the Copper and Haley.
    Watch for black bears.
    Frank? when is the last time you hit that trail? the road has washed out in several places and and ATV ride down it is a good way to get a fast close look at the river.

if you have never been to the copper... the only bodies it has given up were wearing wet suits and life jackets. if your not tied on and fall in, chances are greatest, your not coming back
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not much sport fishing?Any hunting off the river?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Frank? when is the last time you hit that trail? the road has washed out in several places and and ATV ride down it is a good way to get a fast close look at the river.

if you have never been to the copper... the only bodies it has given up were wearing wet suits and life jackets. if your not tied on and fall in, chances are greatest, your not coming back
    '06 Vince.

That road has always been a pita...

Could be that it is fubar-ed for good though.
    It would still be worth a quick boat ride (even with a local charter) for that slice 'o heaven called the Haley....

Elim, goat hunting is nearby...are you an AK res?
    Proud to be an American!

fullkurl,

No very sad to say I am not a AK res. yet.I badger my wife every day about it.

Talking Horrible /Bad / Ick

Nothing at all not worth trying worse I have ever seen.
    You should consider other areas of the state like Homer.
    Nothing to see there just move along!
    Fishing is so bad and restricted you need a plane to get to the good spots.
    I would not waste my gas to get there not to mention all the bad roads!

Nope Nope would not even try there.

PM Sent

Enjoy the data.

Sounds so bad it makes me want to fish it :-)

Default Nah!

It's so bad there people get lost!

On a more positive note the area has lots to offer however it requires dedication and work compared to the fishing from the Valley to the Pen.

If someone is willing to take the time and do a little research there are some hidden gems in the area but you have to invest the time and money to find them. Couple nice floats in the area as well but you have to be committed to the hard parts of those systems and spend money on a plane ride.

For the first 10 years back in AK my wife always asked how can you put so many miles on your truck in such a short time just fishing 287K. Simply put there is a lot to see and do and so little time.

Elim - Also don't expect the same services you would find South with the exception of Glennallen there is not a whole lot over there compared to the City Fishing you find on the Kenia.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Richard Mousseau
    BMR