Thread: Remote Living

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Remote Living

To me, there could be no other lifestyle. I enjoy the idea of oil lamps, candles, hanging a bucket fitted with a shower head to keep clean, a bucket and a plunger to wash clothes, hauling water after taking the time to chip the water hole open by hand.

I enjoy the idea of cutting wood to keep me warm in the winter or to make things I need. I like the idea of smelling it when the aroma escapes the wood stove and the water on top heating up for that nice cup of tea, hot chocolate or whatever, watching the flames dancing around.

I enjoy waking up in the morning and making fresh coffee and smelling the eggs cooking with sausage or bacon. Making flapjacks on the cast iron griddle. Smelling that fresh baked loaf of bread in the oven and thinking about the butter melting on the bread followed by your favorite jam.

I enjoy the occasional visits from friends who have cabins a ways from you but, find time to travel the wilderness just to make your time and theirs meaningful. They may stay a couple of hours or a couple of days, no schedule to stick to. Sit around and B.S. while sipping some brandy or a good tasting whiskey.

I could go on and on forever but, I want to leave the rest up to your imagination. Maybe reflect on your dream or share it with us. But, always remember:

"THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME"

Default Hello! Hello! Hello!

Anybody here? "WOW"...I must have stumbled onto the most remote site on ODD.

are you using hugesnet? what kind of generator are you using? I am going off the grid, and wonder how well it works.

Default Internet

At the moment, I am using Starband but, will go to Hughesnet when I build my new cabin. I have a Honda EU2000 generator. I use. I don't need anything much bigger.

Default Off the grid.

Where abouts are you planning on building?

In the hi desert area, northern nevada or oregon

I lived on Lake Clark back in the 80's. A man will never starve to death living on that lake, awesome country.

Default Lake Clark

It is beautiful but, there are too many people moving around here and not much is safe if you go away for a while. That's why I am building on the land I have up North and a bit more remote.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    It is beautiful but, there are too many people moving around here and not much is safe if you go away for a while. That's why I am building on the land I have up North and a bit more remote.

That is why I left that country, A certain group of people think what is yours is theirs. It is Too bad.

Default Life is good

This summer will be great, now that I am retired and building a new cabin. Away from most people.

My wife and I have been talking about going "off the grid" for a while now, to the point that we've made a plan to pay off all debt, we're looking for property and I'm reading everything I can find on the subject. We have four kids though, ages 10 and under. Because of the kids, we want to be within a reasonable distance to a town so they can still interact with other kids their age. My wife has always wanted to design her own house and I've always wanted to build my own house. This would allow us to do just that.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

My wife and I have an agreement to buy a property on POW near Whale Pass that has been homesteaded for 25 years. All the tools, gear, odds and ends etc. . . stay with the property. It has its own hydroelectric system, is hooked onto to the community electrical system. It comes with three boats, one is a good tough skiff with a 60hp yamaha, another is a 22' C-Dory with a 90hp yamaha. Three miles to town by boat. Crab and shrimp pots, halibut rods, a planer, chainsaw mill, gravity fed water, greenhouses, gardens. You know, enough to keep us busy and out of the bars for years!

Congratulations Wynot, I would say you found the Mythical Holy Grail.

Default AGL stop making me laugh.............

.......I already found the grail by the way. Now I am looking for the fountain of youth!
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    To me, there could be no other lifestyle. I enjoy the idea of oil lamps, candles, hanging a bucket fitted with a shower head to keep clean, a bucket and a plunger to wash clothes, hauling water after taking the time to chip the water hole open by hand.

I enjoy the idea of cutting wood to keep me warm in the winter or to make things I need. I like the idea of smelling it when the aroma escapes the wood stove and the water on top heating up for that nice cup of tea, hot chocolate or whatever, watching the flames dancing around.

I enjoy waking up in the morning and making fresh coffee and smelling the eggs cooking with sausage or bacon. Making flapjacks on the cast iron griddle. Smelling that fresh baked loaf of bread in the oven and thinking about the butter melting on the bread followed by your favorite jam.

I enjoy the occasional visits from friends who have cabins a ways from you but, find time to travel the wilderness just to make your time and theirs meaningful. They may stay a couple of hours or a couple of days, no schedule to stick to. Sit around and B.S. while sipping some brandy or a good tasting whiskey.

I could go on and on forever but, I want to leave the rest up to your imagination. Maybe reflect on your dream or share it with us. But, always remember:

"THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME"
    It certainly IS a beautiful ideal. I would love to live this way. Unfortunatly, I must have an income to live so currently must live and have regular access to an area of population to do so.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default Bringin' it all back

man, that's a great thread starter, bringing all the memories back of some of my greatest years, living the life you describe but up river from Talkeetna near Larsen Lake.

One of my best memories was of the "Absolute Silence" that sometimes was so complete that it made your ears seem like they were "Reaching Out" for sound,

then a flock of Chickadees would come flowing through the woods and seem like they were filling every tree, heck maybe even every branch of every tree as they came through all chattin' away. Shortly they would keep moving on and it would go back to that Silence that just would feed your soul.

I aso loved the smell of a bit of woodsmoke escaping the stove and curling across the ceiling...
    A rare visit of a friend from cabin upriver a ways stopping by to tell stories for a while...
    the 1/4 mile walk to the spring for water that stayed open all winter and was the best water imaginable
    and working in -25 splitting wood, that "Crack" of a nice chunk of Birch flying apart.
    Man, Thanks for the replay, it's been quite a few years now and makes Kodiak feel like city. I do still heat with wood anyways

but splitting in the rain is not the same ...somehow