Thread: In-tank water absorbers

Default In-tank water absorbers

Can anyone suggest a brand and a place to buy them on-line?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I run Heet and refill my tank after I'm done riding. Keeping your tank full eliminates condensation--a major source of ice in the fuel

Default I run red Heet too...

... but I'm interested in the type you drop into the tank on a string. I'm always a bit worried when I add fuel and Heet to the tank, that the ratio will become too much or too little. Seems that a way to soak moisture up would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I run Heet and refill my tank after I'm done riding. Keeping your tank full eliminates condensation--a major source of ice in the fuel
    I will agree with running the HEET occasionally but I am here to tell you that keeping the tank full is no where near a gaurentee to a mositure free tank. You always have some air space for expansion and I have seen my tank sweat while riding. Next time you are out check your cap after riding for a while and you may find moisture droplets on the lid.

On my Cats when I am near empty I will tip the sled to one side and use a brake bleeder to vacumn out the water that collects at the lowest point in the tank. Loved the Firecats with the in tank fuel pump, made removing moisture a breeze. Rev and XP owners when I find a solution for your tanks other then total disassembly I will let you know. Every spring I remove 1 to 3 ounces of water from my tanks even after using HEET every couple of tanks. Most times this water collected in the lower portion of the tank where it will not be pulled into the fuel system.

I have kept track of water collection in my fuel cans over a winter season and was astonished at the amount of water I collected. I kept a 30 gallon can as my fill source and used 15 gal cans to keep it full. All cans were filled from one gas station with little to no expansion room. I put roughly 650 gallons thru the 30 gallon can and removed almost 8 ounces of water at the end of the season from that one can plus quite the collection of numerous other little bits of debris.

Not scientific but a good case for a little extra maintenace step during the season.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... but I'm interested in the type you drop into the tank on a string. I'm always a bit worried when I add fuel and Heet to the tank, that the ratio will become too much or too little. Seems that a way to soak moisture up would be better.
    i gave you a link to Jackovich... i get them here in Fbk i know you can call and have them shipped from anch to you...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Unhappy Well sorry Vince

Just a little lazy to go diggin' on that home page. I'm not sure what to look for, cause I don't know what they are actually called.

LOL call anchorage office.. tell them what you want.. give them a cc # and they will mail it to you...

meet on face book here

I've yet to see a tank tampon absorb ice. That's what water turns into at the temps your snowgo runs in. I doubt there's a drop of fuel that ever goes through my sled engines that isn't laced with isopropyl. It works.

Your biggest threat of ingesting water is through the airbox when you suck up fine snow crystals that melt. When your carbs are frozen the next morning a bottle of Iso is your best friend.

Default After many issues with water/ice

in my trapping sleds, I filter all my gas through the black airplane filter and use red heet regularly. Before I did this, I had many issues. Also, what Mr. Pid says is true about water in carbs. I have restricted the amount of snow that comes into the hood on my fan cooled machines. Has seemed to help also as my carbs would totally ice up once it dropped below -15 and breaking trail. Not anymore.