Thread: Kadake Bay Cabin?

Default Kadake Bay Cabin?

Does anyone know anything about this cabin? More specifically what is the access and fishing like. Behind the Karta cabin, Fish and Game ranks this as the most productive steelhead cabin in SE. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this cabin? More specifically what is the access and fishing like. Behind the Karta cabin, Fish and Game ranks this as the most productive steelhead cabin in SE. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
    I have been there recently. As it says on the USFS website, you do indeed normally get dropped off by boat/plane 1.5-2 miles from the cabin and need to plan non-motorized means to get the rest of the way through a tidal bay to the cabin, and back for pickup. The cabin is always very difficult to reserve for prime steelhead season.

By non-motorized do you mean walking? Or is there a better route. Also is the second week in October regarded as the best steelhead time as with most of the other cabin locations?

Thanks,

Matt

I tried very hard to rent that cabin for early-mid september of 2008. I had no luck. No matter what I did or when I went on the reservation site I struck out.

Non-motorized transportation I was told means a raft, loaded with your gear and walked up the channel. There are obviously other means but this seemed the easiest. Beats the heck out of putting it all on your back.

I used a raft as stated. Steelhead in southeast AK run mainly in the spring.

I stayed there several years ago. Nice cabin. The creek had changed channels and didn't run next to the cabin. There were losts of snags and blow-downs in the creek and it was difficult to wade and get around. I fished in the fall for coho.