Thread: Tikka T3 WSM opinions

Default Tikka T3 WSM opinions

I am thinking about buying a lightweight mountain rifle for this years hunting. I have been told by a few folks to look at the tikka t3 Stainless. I am pretty set on a 300 WSM. What are your opinions on this rifle? Accuracy, durability, value and overall shootability, how would you rate it? In the $700-$800 (not including optics) price range what else would you recommend?

Not sure about the Tikka's, but for $850'ish you can get the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. I just picked one up in .325 WSM. Can't tell you how it shoots yet, but I'm impressed with the fit/finish.

I have a Tikka in .30-06. I don't think you could fine a better rifle for the money and it's just as accurate as it's reputed to be. Everyone that hefts mine says "nice sheep rifle".

Just remember that Tikkas regardless of caliber all have the same length action. So if you're looking at the .300 WSM because it's shorter it won't make a difference with the Tikka.

If you decide to get one I suggest considering swapping out the Tikka scope rings for something else. Most folks go with Talley. I put a set of Warnes on mine. Either will work well.

I would also suggest swapping out the OEM recoil pad for either a Limbsaver or Kick-Eez as that lighter weight translates into a sharper jolt on your end.

I put a Limbsaver on mine. Although it's only a .30-06, I shoot Federal HE out of it and after a couple mags off the bench it starts becoming a meat tenderizer. The Limbsaver tamed it right down. I imagine a .300 WSM would be a bit more brisk.
    Now what ?

Default Tikka

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 wsm. STEVELYN - is accurate with his description. Mine will shoot under 1'' groups at 100 yds (most of the time). I researched that rifle pretty heavily before buying it and most owners said Tikkas are very accurate, great trigger, great value. I agree and couldn't be happier. It's the only big game rifle I use here in Alaska for sheep, caribou, moose, grizzly - so far so good. I also installed a Limbsaver because it does kick pretty good. At the range, I put a scok or some extra padding on my shoulder. By doing so I can shoot as much as I want and have'nt developed a flinch - I recommend it. Good luck.

Tikkas are probably one of the best values for the money in the rifle market today.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

The overwhelming reports I read about Tikkas are very good and you will probably be happy if you get one. However, a lemon will show up now and then and when it does, your screwed. I bought a Sako Finnlight (same Baretta Parent Co) in 300 WSM and it shoots 2-4 MOA. Sent it back to the factory twice, and twice they sent it back saying it was fine. They told me they would charge me if I sent it back to them again. I tried a lot of loads, both factory and handloads in this rifle and nothing works. The way their action/recoil lug system is designed it's very difficult to do any bedding or stock mods. Most owners of Tikkas and Sakos owners are happy, but there are few that are not and they get no satisfaction from Baretta.

If I was going to buy a WSM, I would get a Sub MOA Vanguard. They have a very well built action and a solid quality pillar bedded synthetic stock unlike the cheap plastic crap that Sako and Tikka put on their rifles. They come with a factory shot target with real bullet holes in it that will measure .75 MOA or less. I've seen a couple that were about .3-.4 MOA

Good shooting and good hunting,

Mark

Thumbs up Good buy

You can get them way cheaper. I bought 2 of them used (like new). One was $475 bare gun with sling. The other, $600 with Leupold VX1, sims pad, sling and 3 boxes ammo.

Haven't shot the 2nd one yet, but the first one is very accurate. I like them.

Pros: Reasonably lite, fairly cheap, generally accurate, butter smooth bolt/feed

Cons: Plastic cap on the back of the bolt is kind of cheap, fairly cheesy safety, drop out mag is expensive to replace, horrid factory rings (get Talleys), poor recoil pad (get limbsaver), no short action available to take advantage of the WSM cartridges

All that said I have one in 270 WSM, it is a joy to carry and to shoot and not bad on the wallet.

No short action. If you want a Tikka, you might as well choose a long action cartridge.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ....no short action available to take advantage of the WSM cartridges
    I really like the feel of the short action in my Sako but it doesn't allow me to seat bullets to the lands and load them in the mag. It's about .14" diff which is a big jump. More of a jump for factory ammo. So with the Tikka, you can load to the lands.

And ya gotta ask yourself why they put a plastic shroud on the bolt

I dont mean to knock the Tikka owners. I have a good friend who has a 270 WSM and he loves it. It shoot.s .5 MOA Just dont count on Beretta to back their product and you get what you get. Very little after market parts and accessories for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    No short action. If you want a Tikka, you might as well choose a long action cartridge.
    Incidentally, mine shoots .578 inch groups with my hand loads.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Thanks guys

The Tikka's sound delicious, but I think I'm going to forgo a little more paycheck and spring for the Kimber Montana. Any thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    The Tikka's sound delicious, but I think I'm going to forgo a little more paycheck and spring for the Kimber Montana. Any thoughts on this one?
    Stick with the Tikka

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    As to the Kimber... None I have fired matched (or came close to) any T3 in the accuracy dept.

At SHOT show interview - sounds as tho' Kimber Pres. (like Ruger CEO) is taking an important notice listening to what customers want and going after it. The newest Kimber light-weight models may be better. Newest additions are wood/blue so far, yet expect the typical wait for stainless/synthetic.

For a mountain gun the T3 Lite stainless/synthetic is a good choice and would be my preference over the Kimber based on ergonomics and accuracy. If I wanted rugged reliability and accuracy... Pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - 1956 is perfect!

New Winchester seams heavier --- is is not?

I believe the Tikka is a better gun for the $ spent.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

hap

I agree with LuJon on his description of the Tika, but think he was far too kind about the plastic parts and their propensity to break. I have personally seen two broken shrouds. I despise removable rifle magazines, personally.

The Kimbers are very nice rifles and I would opt for them over the Tika every time.

The weaknesses I see in the Kimbers are cosmetic. The wood to metal fit is not good. Take a look at the bolt cut-out and notice how wide the stock slot is compared to the metal slot... and how they are all over the place for mating up.

If you look closely that will not be the only issue... But it is cosmetic and if you think it is pretty, it is...
    art

I had a Tikka 300 WM (because I didn't gain an advantage as the same standard action if I went with the WSM and ammo is much more prevelent). Its a great gun and don't really think you can go wrong with Tikka. However, I wanted to go with a CRF and 3 position safety and drop over a pound of overall weight so I sold the Tikka in favor of a Kimber Montana in .308. It fits me better and I like the feel of the stock on the Kimber over the Tikka.

I've heard horror stories of Kimbers feeding poorly and being horribly inaccurate. However, despite these stories I chose to roll the dice anyways and buy the Kimber. Well I lucked out and got a good one. Feeds just as smooth as the Tikka and shoots better than I do. Can't tell you what the MOA of either rifle is as they are both hunting guns and I'm not a bench shooter. Once it hits 2" high at 100 yrds consistently with that ammo selection I'm shooting prone, sitting, and standing. Actually I don't own a single gun I'd call a bench shooter for that matter. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Both are great value IMO. Good luck in your next rifle choice.

Default tikka

I have never shot a kimber but have 2 tikkas i would bet would shoot with any kimber! As others have said they are hard to beat! I dont agree with the comment on the stocks, mine fits me better than any gun i own and has an aluminum bedding block to boot! Take a borescope and compare a kimber barrel to a tikkas, I will bet the tikkas look like they have been hand lapped... mine do! but hey you cant go wrong with any rifle they are all fun! good luck