Thread: Jiffy Auger FAQ

Default Jiffy Auger FAQ

For those of you already using or considering buying the new Jiffy auger, here is what I know and have heard so far.

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? The new 2500 and 3500 series motors are 4 stroke.

How well does it cut? They are very fast, and the new 3500 series is faster than last year's 3000 series.

Is it loud? It is very quiet, because of the 4 stroke.

Does it start in cold weather? This is the million dollar question. It does start; it is a different procedure than a 2 stroke engine. At -10 or colder, prime it 15 times, then pull it over. That's right, 15 times. The primer bulb on the new models does not push as much gasoline as on the older models. Be prepared to feather the throttle or continue priming it as it runs, until it warms up.

Are the seals tight? I had one looked at that was reported to be leaking gasoline around the tank. It wasn't. What happened was that it had been flooded, and gas leaked out of the carburetor. The new breather cap design will also let out a tiny bit of gas sometimes. They do flood easily when they are warm, as they need very little choke to get started.

Is it worth the money? So far, the guys I've talked to that own them have all said yes, very definitely.

There ya go- that's pretty much what I know about the new Jiffy's so far. Any other experiences, put 'em on here!

Rock on dude!

I remember posting to others to NOT buy the older modle jiffy. my only beef is i see more plastic on the new jiffy.....not cool

I would also like to add that the new one has and "EZ" type connector system on the shaft and it doesnt work out too well in the cold. some users have taken it off and welded a nut back on one side so that they can use the traditional allan head screw to attach the shaft/and/or extensions. Hat's off to Jiffy......they conquered the absence of tecumsuh, did so successfully, and evolved with the times. The old 3hp tecumsuh was def. one loud mo fo! it almost didnt even have an exuast.....just a lil baffle.....it would totally mess with my peace and serenity everytime i fired it up. I can't wait to own the new jiffy......but i will modify the throttle handle.....i cant stand brittle plastic junk.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Motorized Augers?

No way. Living out in the bush, they are to bulky to carry around and to many things can go wrong with them. I depend on my good ole hand made ice chipper. It never breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    No way. Living out in the bush, they are to bulky to carry around and to many things can go wrong with them. I depend on my good ole hand made ice chipper. It never breaks down.
    I remember snowshoeing out to lakes not acessible by road with a hand auger broke down in my packbasket. The hand tools never do break down quite as often....now do they?

Right on dude.

"amishbushrat"

Default Jiffy, huh?

I'd never buy an auger that sounds like a brand of popcorn.
    Eskimos rule the north!

I have a 5 yr old jiffy 3110 and honestly really love it. Made the big mistake of thinking something was wrong with it and screwing with the high and low mixture screws when it turns out it was the idle screw (didnt know about it till recently) that had backed out. Set it back to the factory settings on the low end (never did mess with the high end screw) and wamo, she runs great again!

Filed the pilot point and now she's chipping ice like new yay!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'd never buy an auger that sounds like a brand of popcorn.
    and they're yellow too....mmmmm butter

still think an auger race is in order....lol...

how does 52 holes, less than 10min, 15+ inches of ice sound?..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

There is an aftermarket quick disconnect sleeve for both the Jiffy and Strikemaster now, called the Kwik Koupler. It attaches with allen wrench to both the shaft and auger, and allows you to just unscrew the auger attachment, with no moving parts to lose, and costs about $35. 3 Rivers carries them.

Default Sat the 29th, Knik Lake

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    and they're yellow too....mmmmm butter

still think an auger race is in order....lol...

how does 52 holes, less than 10min, 15+ inches of ice sound?..
    Haul your auger down to Knik Lake the 29th before 8 am, and Paul Reed will help you set up an auger race. He expects 200-500 kids will be there to participate in the "getting jiggy with it" derby. 1st guy to 50 holes (properly spaced, so a kid can fish at each one,) wins a prize!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Haul your auger down to Knik Lake the 29th before 8 am, and Paul Reed will help you set up an auger race. He expects 200-500 kids will be there to participate in the "getting jiggy with it" derby. 1st guy to 50 holes (properly spaced, so a kid can fish at each one,) wins a prize!
    way ahead of ya....already got a spot picked out for my kiddo's to fish that day...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....