Thread: CZ 550 Am. Safari Kevlar in 416 Rigby: 5+1?

Default CZ 550 Am. Safari Kevlar in 416 Rigby: 5+1?

I see a number of these on Gunbroker, where the NIB Kevlar ones, and only the Kevlar ones, are listed as 5+1 (5-rd magazine). E.g: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=155087892; and http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=155063860

Two different sellers bnoth say that they are 5+1.

Yet, the CZ website seems to indicate that all of the CZ 550s in 416 Rigby are 3+1. Does anyone know what gives?

Are the modieifed somewhow? Am I just confused by the CZ site? Or are the Gunbroker descriptions wrong?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Easiest thing to do is to give CZ a call.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Easiest thing to do is to give CZ a call.
    I thought about that, but they are not open for a couple more days, and I thought someone on here might know the answer.

I apologize for being a little impatient.

Just from looking at the pics it doesn't look any bigger than my .375, so I can't believe it would hold 5 in the mag, but who knows...if you can't wait for CZ to open, you could give Bud's gunshop a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Just from looking at the pics it doesn't look any bigger than my .375, so I can't believe it would hold 5 in the mag, but who knows...if you can't wait for CZ to open, you could give Bud's gunshop a call.
    Thanks for the comments. I agree it might just be a mistaken description.

Are you familiar with Bud's?

I was more likely to call the Sportsman's Safari. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them in the past without incident, and they have a modest discount for veterans. I have zero experience with Bud's, but when I Googled them, there was a nightmarish list of links to negative comments about Bud's from past customers. I Googled SS, and nothing bad comes up about them, at least on first blush.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I agree it might just be a mistaken description.

Are you familiar with Bud's?

I was more likely to call the Sportsman's Safari. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them in the past without incident, and they have a modest discount for veterans. I have zero experience with Bud's, but when I Googled them, there was a nightmarish list of links to negative comments about Bud's from past customers. I Googled SS, and nothing bad comes up about them, at least on first blush.
    I've talked to a rep at Bud's one time, and aside from trying to push me into a tricked-out 1911 on "sale" for some ridiculous price, they were pretty decent when I asked about finding a used Sako. Sportsman's Safari has always been good to me, but they're closed Thursdays and weekends, which is why I didn't suggest 'em.

No worries anymore though...CZ should be open tomorrow and we'll all be wiser for your shared knowledge

The 375 H&H Am Safari I had was 5+1.

I assume the 416 Rigby rilfe has a lower capacity than the 375 H&H due to the fatter 416 case.

I e-mailed Sportsman’s Safari the question. They responded:

“The capacity is 3 according to the CZ Website, linked below. I believe yjis means 2+1. Thx
    http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-american-safari-magnum/

The linked CZ website actuallyt says “Magazine Capacity ... 3.” Shouldn’t that mean three in the "magazine"—i.e., 3+1, not 2+1, right?

Anyway, I’ll call CZ today and find out.

Thanks for the comments.

It's gotta be a mistake. That 416 is a bulky cartridge to be able to hide two more in there without an obvious size difference in the stock.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

As the .375s hold 5 in the mag, I'd bet the Rigby will hold 3...

Guess you'll just have to buy one so we can all know the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    As the .375s hold 5 in the mag, I'd bet the Rigby will hold 3...

Guess you'll just have to buy one so we can all know the answer
    Bingo. On both points.

I e-mailed CZ-USA yesterday identifying the sellers who confusingly claimed anything from 2+1 to 5+1 (I partly was wondering if there is some modified option available from CZ or otherwise). Today, CZ responded with an e-mail simply saying "Don't count on any more than 3+1 in the Rigby."

FWIW, here's an interesting favorable article about it (also says 3 in the mag): http://www.realguns.com/archives/175.htm

But then there are some (not all) guys on the Africa Hunting forum (which disgustingly does not ban political discussions, so I rarely ever like to look there) who seem to think some of this stuff (http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm) needs to be done to be done to bring the 550 up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    But then there are some (not all) guys on the Africa Hunting forum (which disgustingly does not ban political discussions, so I rarely ever like to look there) who seem to think some of this stuff (http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm) needs to be done to be done to bring the 550 up to par.
    About the only thing I don't like about the CZ 550 is the safety. It feels cheap and plastic, because it's, well, plastic The trigger is a bit rough to start, but after a few hundred dry-fires and a few boxes of ammo, it smooths up nicely. The bbl band is a personal preference, although it looks nice as does the snazzy front sight. For my money, the factory front sight works just fine and is actually one of the better ones I've seen.

I really don't think there's much work required to make the CZ 550 a competent weapon.