Thread: 7mm mag/30-06

Default 7mm mag/30-06

About to get my first game rifle; T/C Encore. Want to get a rifle barrel for it in either 7mm mag or 30-06.

Very new to the hunting world, only have shot birds previously, so some have recommended the '06. It seems the '06 has a larger selection of bullets/weights.

Use: Axis deer in Hawaii and Alaska use: black bears, deer, moose caribou (are they available to us out-of-staters?)

Leaning towards the '06; need to decide in the next few weeks (hunt coming up March 12 and need to practice!)

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by Big Jim; 01-23-2010 at 09:11. Reason: added info

Tomato Toma'to both will do what you want on the game you specified as long as you do your part and put the bullet where it needs to go. '06 ammo is more prevalent and probably cheaper if that matters.

With all the different ammo options out there, there is no real advantage either way. Great calibers that would both serve you well.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

LuJon got it right... in the field you'll notice no difference in performance between the two. I've never been a 7mm fan but there are plenty of them to counter anything I'd say.

You'll find more variety of loads in '06 but there is certainly no shortage of 7mm loads to speak of. Truth be known there are probably more loads in either than you'll ever encounter in a lifetime of shooting.

Assuming you will be using factory ammunition, I would go with the 30-06. It give you a wider variety to ammunition to try. With more ammunition options, come higher chances of finding a load that your gun likes.

That being said, I have a 7MM Rem Mag and I love it.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I would lean towards the '06 for same reasons mentioned. Also, loading for '06 if you ever want to get into reloading is a real easy cartridge to get started on.

Default 30-06 all the way.....

Since this is your first big game rifle, 30-06 is perfect choice. If memory serves me correctly, the Encore barrel is 24" long. That length, with modern HE factory loads, or handloading with modern powders and bullets gives you "magnum" performance of 40 years ago. We've heard the saying "good for mice to moose", and that fits 30-06 with today's ammo availability.

Many polls on this forum and elsewhere of "if you only could have one rifle..." usually end up with more -06 votes than any other.

I remember one article by Ken Waters where he listed his "favorite" calibers. 30-06 was not among them. The clincher though was at the end of his article he stated if he was limited to only ONE rifle for EVERYTHING he would choose a 30-06!

Many of us on this forum own many rifles, but I bet almost to a man that they are not without a 30-06 in their battery and will never be without one.

Have I sold you on 30-06 yet for your first big game rifle??!!!!

I am a big fan of the 7mm mag. I also will agree for the choices you have posted the 30-06 will also do a good job. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these two calibers. I would choose the one I could get the best deal in.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    About to get my first game rifle; T/C Encore. Want to get a rifle barrel for it in either 7mm mag or 30-06.

Very new to the hunting world, only have shot birds previously, so some have recommended the '06. It seems the '06 has a larger selection of bullets/weights.

Use: Axis deer in Hawaii and Alaska use: black bears, deer, moose caribou (are they available to us out-of-staters?)

Leaning towards the '06; need to decide in the next few weeks (hunt coming up March 12 and need to practice!)

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Jim

I have a 30-06 for longer shots and a couple 45-70's for closer/brush work! My savage 30-06 is probably the most accurate gun i own! Great gun not very much money...but they make a 7 mag too...so I guess it is still up to you, which ever group you like better.

With Hornady's new Superformance Ammo, you'd probably get as much power and accuracy you could ever need.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Yep, sounds like the 30-06 is for me unless I get a deal on a used 7mm barrel.
    Thanks for the help!
    Jim

Big Jim,

The 30-06 is very versatile and the 7mm shoots very flat. Both cartridges will work with any of the game animals that you listed.

I have not handled the TC Encore so I toured their site. I noticed that a 300WM is available. That cartridge has a ton of production ammunition choices as well. When loaded with light bullets it's just as flat as a 7mmRM and doesn't kick any harder. When loaded with heavier bullets it will out preform the 30-06 and could be used on larger game with a little more confidence.

Sorry to jump off your listed choices, just my opinion.

Cheers,