Thread: Ice Fishing Etiquette

Default Ice Fishing Etiquette

I'd like to try some ice fishing next weekend, but don't have an auger. Is it cool to use a previously drilled hole? I have a "digger bar" I use for dirt work and think it may be easier to chip through a previously drilled hole that may not be frozen back yet, instead of chippping through new ice.

Was also kicking around using a chainsaw, but am thinking a guy might get kinda wet while cutting.......Any thoughts??

If I see someone packing up and leaving I have no problem going over and using their old hole. I have done it a thousand times over. It goes the same when the roles are switched. I dont care if someone takes my hole when I leave either.

If I see a skinned over hole I wont even think twice about re-drilling it. I just do it. Its not like the driller owns the drilled hole.

While I have never done it for fishing, I have stabbed a few bars through the ice. Try to score out your hole pattern (all the way around) as deep as possible, before you break through to the water. When the water fills the cut, just stand off to the side as most of the water will shoot off the bottom rear of the bar. Done correctly you might end up with a little water on your boot.
    Make a big hole and git a bigun.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default drillin

No problem at all jumpin on abandoned holes, your bar could be useful there, as for the chainsaw I tried it once out of curiousity, more of a pain in the butt than anything. I'd suggest spending 25-30 bucks and getting a hand auger, with good blades they're almost if not as fast as power augers, depending on your conditioning haha. Much easier, lighter, and no ice/slush/water rooster tails. Luck

Default one more thing

if you get the auger avoid redrilling old holes, I've found it's a lot harder on your blades than just making a new one, something about how they refreeze I think...

Default So true!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    if you get the auger avoid redrilling old holes, I've found it's a lot harder on your blades than just making a new one, something about how they refreeze I think...
    Not to mention all the foreign matter that people kick into their holes when they leave (nit wits leave beer bottles, cans, cigarillo tips, etc.) which may not be easily seen. Up on Skilak last year people had brought out rocks to hold down the edges of their tent, then kicked them in a hole. Just ask me what that does to an auger blade. On second thought, don't.

Also, old holes can drag your auger in one direction or another and just about twist your arm off!

Default And P.S.

Chainsaws are not only a wet proposition, but it is hard on the blades and worst of all may leave an oily sheen that detracts fish from biting.

About all chainsaws are good for in regard to icefishing is for making square holes for spearing.