Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some info on POW Island

Default Need some info on POW Island

I need some info on a peice of property on the NE side of POW at Luck Luck (Luck Pt.). My wife and I are interested in buying a lot in the Etolin View Subdivision south of Coffman Cove. Is anyone familiar with this sub? My understanding is it is still fairly undeveloped.

The information I have say's the sub is right off of FR 3030 near the end of the road, and that there may be some wet areas (poor drainage) on some of the lots. Has anyone been out this direction? It looks like there is a creek that runs down to the channel in the sub there, too (not eagle creek), does anyone know if any fish run through it?
    OK and last question, I promise; Is there a "Drier" side of POW Island (I understand that I just lost 50 pt.s on my mancard for asking, but my wife is insisting that I ask this question).

Thanks for any info I can get on POW.
    Grits

Can't help on your specific questions, but thanks for the laugh regarding the "drier" side question.

Really, no matter what people will say about a specific subdevision, you need to visit the land during different seasons of the year to find out exactly what issues you'll have to deal with. I think breakup (spring thaw) is one of the best times to visit because you'll see where the runoff goes, or doesn't go.

My wife and I looked at some property a couple of years ago right off 3030 and the grade was too steep for us and decided against it. Remember is SE you'll find "wet areas" where ever you go. It'll either be standing water from the heavy rains, streams and/or muskeg.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Grits Hardway View Post
    I need some info on a peice of property on the NE side of POW at Luck Luck (Luck Pt.). My wife and I are interested in buying a lot in the Etolin View Subdivision south of Coffman Cove. Is anyone familiar with this sub? My understanding is it is still fairly undeveloped.

The information I have say's the sub is right off of FR 3030 near the end of the road, and that there may be some wet areas (poor drainage) on some of the lots. Has anyone been out this direction? It looks like there is a creek that runs down to the channel in the sub there, too (not eagle creek), does anyone know if any fish run through it?
    OK and last question, I promise; Is there a "Drier" side of POW Island (I understand that I just lost 50 pt.s on my mancard for asking, but my wife is insisting that I ask this question).

Thanks for any info I can get on POW.
    Grits

Yeah, I bet your right. I'll just have to figure out a way to look at it alone first. My wife see's mostly in "Yep, it'll work" or "Nope, don't even ask me'. I tend to think in terms of "2 days of missed fishin' while I'm digging and bedding drain tile" and "Well if I build the cabin using post and pier, and make the posts real tall, then the mosquitos won't seem so bad to my wife.... Besides, I'll know what pattern to use down at the creek"

Default wet and wet

Just remember, on the Island, if it's flat it's going to be wet. Even if it's not flat it's still wet. Some places are just less wet than others.

The recent paving job has given new life to Coffman.

But like Paul mentioned you should never settle on a place, especially on the Island, without looking at it first. There are lots of places to purchase, now-a-days, and compare.

Still laughing over this response. I think our sense of humor is going to fit right in up there.

Default Etolin View SD

Hey Grits,

I live next to the new Etolin View 'Subdivision'. The creek that flows through it comes from the old dump right off the 3030, it is about a foot wide so no fishes. Most of the lots are very steep and wet which is why there are so many still available. We looked for one to put a new barn on and passed. No power out that way as well so something to think about. If your wife is worried about rain you may want to move her closer to Craig or Klawock so she has something to do if it's nasty. More jobs that way too.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default the old dump

I was thinking that was the creek below or near the old dump .... it was there for many years and still is, under the cap. I wouldn't think being down stream would be very sanitary for you health ....

Like I mentioned there are plenty of other lots, in Coffman / Nakuti / Thorne Bay / Hollis and even like Gooch says Klawock and Craig or remote ... for sale and to compare.

Seems like properties are holding value ... there are just more available right now than usual.

Thanks Gooch. The search goes on. I was surprised to hear that there were any jobs available on POW (except it looks like a person could find work if he knows how to work a bear hide. I guess we'll keep lookin'. We were just thinking that we would buy a lot up there that I could build a cabin on and park a boat at, that way we could just take a short flight over, drop the boat in, and do some camping/fishing/relaxing. My little girl is 4 and has really taken to fishing. My boy is 12 and wants to start hunting and is always up for fishing.

Looks like most folks live off the grid out there which suits me fine, as I am finishing my degree in renewable (Wind Energy, etc.) energy technology. We are trying to get back to the PNW as our families are in NW WA. ST. and we are older (My wife and I are "older", so our parents are very "Older"). Having a cabin up there would allow us to keep track of the folks and still have a place to relax and take the kids.
    So here's a question: Is there a repair shop on the Island? My background is in electro mechanical repair and I thought opening my own shop up there would be alright (as long as it didn't interfere with hunting and fishing too much).
    Thanks for the input on Etolin View,
    Grits
    P.S. Are you hunting bear now with the warm weather, or chasing feeders in the sound?
    Last edited by Grits Hardway; 01-25-2010 at 05:04. Reason: spelling

Thanks Muskeg. Yeah, my wife kinda had a very definate opinion about buying a lot in a subdivision that is downstream from the landfill. It went something like this.... "NO"!
    We're planning on coming over in Aug. for a week and checking things out. I am knee deep in school until middle of May, so I am tryin to do some prelimenary research right now.
    I have been flying into Alaska over 4 decades and somewhere in there, between AF tours, I worked a few years fishing up there. In all that time, I have never had a chance to just hang out and relax in Alaska and enjoy it (except for the odd visits to Stormy's Elbow room when I was fishing, or the bar crawls down on Cherry Ave in Anchorage when I was flying. And I'm not countin' those..... Especially in front of "She who must be obeyed"). Even though my wife hates the rain with a passion, I have finally softened her up to the idea with promises of jewelry and a cheap timeshare down in Hawaii. She has agreed to buying a lot on POW cause she loves to fish and hunt, and I know she has a personal vendetta against Blk Bears, but that's another story entirely.

I've also been eyeing this subdivision. How does the rain compare to Juneau? I lived there for about a year. While there was, yeah, tons of rain, it never felt like too much or too bad to me. I'd walk outside and not realize it was raining till I saw the drops in the puddles: usually pretty light, and not too windy at all in the valley.

OK, there's a land-fill, but I guess in SE you've got some options for drinking water.

If I'm not completely discouraged, might come check it out this fall or next. I'm still trying to decide between SE and Northern, but I don't think the woman would appreciate the Northern winter.

Default POW rains

Well the rains in the KTN / POW and Juneau do not even compare.

Juneau is like a desert to KTN / POW ... of course they just measure rain in a few places and there is quite a difference + or - between KTN and POW and even on POW ... different micro-climes not many miles apart.

So for in Jan ... KTN airport has had just over 20 inches. There are places on POW Island that has had more some have had less.

And calling the old logging camp dumps a 'land fill' is kinda funny. At least to me.

The alternative water source (to surface water) in this area is a rain-catch system. Most (subdivisions) on the Island don't have a water (or sewer) system. Actually using the term subdivision is also kinda of funny also.

[QUOTE=muskeg;657500]Well the rains in the KTN / POW and Juneau do not even compare.

Juneau is like a desert to KTN / POW ... of course they just measure rain in a few places and there is quite a difference + or - between KTN and POW and even on POW ... different micro-climes not many miles apart.

So for in Jan ... KTN airport has had just over 20 inches. There are places on POW Island that has had more some have had less.

And calling the old logging camp dumps a 'land fill' is kinda funny. At least to me.

The alternative water source (to surface water) in this area is a rain-catch system. Most (subdivisions) on the Island don't have a water (or sewer) system. Actually using the term subdivision is also kinda of funny also.[/QUOTE]

Looks good to pull in the suckers.

Not sure how to respond to the "Drinking water options" since we're talking about a stream that comes out of a landfill. I imagine if your drinking water gives you heartburn or some kind of rash, that could be interpreted as a bad thing =\

Our first winter living near Yellowstone we got 625" of snow, and winter lasted for 8 months. And I mean an actual 8 months of winter, not the soft shoulder season that could maybe, kinda be considered part of winter. I mean a full on 8 months of blizzards and sub zero temps (6 weeks under 0, 3 weeks under -30, and 7 days at christmas where the temp never rose above -45).
    Still, I would not have moved if my daughter didn't get so sick. She caught a lung virus that almost killed her. So we couldn't live above 3,000' anymore. I met a guy at the grocery store (Idaho side of Yellowstone) who was from Fairbanks and asked him what he was doing in our neck of the woods. He said his company recruited from where we were living because the people there were already adapted to working in extreme cold and crappy conditions, and the North slope was not much of a change for them. Too funny.
    I guess the bottom line is that my wife will do extreme cold and "Real" winter faster than she will do rain. She has a serious adversion to the stuff. Maybe it's because she grew up in Western WA. Who knows?
    I'm not like a big rain romantic either, but it doesn't bother me as long as I'm hunting or fishing in it. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Steelheader, so I really don't think about it too much, unless I'm not dressed right for it, or I've just painted the house or something (or I'm if i'm trackin something I've shot).
    We'd probably be looking in Homer or thereabouts if it wasn't a longer flight and more expensive to get to/from there from the folks' places in case they took ill or got hurt.
    My only real criteria is that it (the lot) be on a road system so I can store a boat on it- which we can get to by (car)taxi or walking from the airport or ferry terminal, that I be able to pay cash for it, and it be able to have a little 1,000 sq' cabin built on it, and it has to be safe enough and level enough for my little girl to play in the yard. My wife on the other hand probably has an entirely different set of criteria that I am supposed to mentally osmose by standing in close proximity to her. But I'm not going there, either.
    Grits
    Last edited by Grits Hardway; 01-25-2010 at 12:20. Reason: accuracy

Hah, OK, points well taken. I was figuring on rain catchment. I guess if Juneau isn't bad, and POW is worse, I'll just have to put on my boots and find out how much worse.

Ahhh, an old logging camp. Well, I agree that's different from a landfill. LOL
    No, it really doesn't matter. We're going to come up there and my wife will see something or feel something (or imagine something) that will get her emotionally attached to a piece of dirt, and it will become my responsibility as the husband to move H#ll and high water to make it happen. Trust me. This is not my first rodeo, and I know most of you boys have been kicked by that old mule once or twice as well. I think it's part of the fun and it keeps my sense of humor stocked with fresh material.

"Actually using the term subdivision is also kinda of funny also.[/QUOTE]

Looks good to pull in the suckers. "

And on this note, I can assure you, I don't have to be pulled in =). I usually just wander in by myself. Sometimes, they don't even have to put the crumbs on the trail... I'll just show up and step knee deep in it. I'll usually already have my name signed on the bottom of the check as I'm wondering "Man, that sure seems expensive for a "Secondary, secondary, kinda ocean view possibility lot. And what is that **** smell?"

Hi,
    I sent you a few messages.
    GBS

Over the past 25 years, I've flown to all the communities on POW easily hundreds of times. These are just my opinions below:

Coffman Cove was a wonderful logging camp...not sure how it is to live there now that all that state land was sold and other folks (non-loggers) have moved in. Coffman has ferry system access and regular float plane access, so it's easy to get into and out of. And of course, you have the road system. Coffman's closest to Wrangell, so that would be your "big town", though a lot of Coffman folks fly to Ketchikan for shopping,.

Thorne Bay was also a great logging camp and in years past I've seen land for sale there, too. It's bigger than Coffman and closer to Ketchikan, which would be the "big town" that you'd get your supplies from.

Hollis has had land in the land sales and there you'd have the ferry access and floatplane access. Not much in the way of amenities, but most folks fly to Ketchikan for shopping.

On the west coast, Craig is nice little town and not a rowdy as it was back in the logging/fishing days. Regular floatplane access and you can drive the road past Klawock Lake to Hollis and catch a ferry or floatplane ride (if the weather is bad on the west coast and the planes can't get through any of the passes, you have the option to drive to Hollis as many time the planes can get there).

I personally would avoid purchasing land in Naukati. In its day, it was a nice little logging camp, however, I'm basing my comment on many people's comments to me. Now, if someone on here is from Naukati, they probably have a different take on the community....I'm just saying from what I've heard, I wouldn't want to live there. Each to his own.

There's been some property for sale up in Port Protection, but they're asking quite a bit of money. Good floatplane access up there and I think the road goes all the way up to Point Baker or Port Protection now.

You've got to be sure you don't mind not seeing blue sky and sunshine for very long periods of time. POW is a rainforest kind of environment...very beautiful with all the big trees, but it is overcast/rainy/windy a lot of the time. You'll spend a lot of time in Xtra-tufs and rain gear. The good side is, it's a lot warmer there in the winter....a lot of the time it's in the 40's or upper 30s.

I spent 30 years in southeast Alaska and if you dress right, you won't get wet and cold. I moved up here to southcentral Alaska a couple of years ago, and I have to tell you, it's really nice seeing the blue sky and sunshine so much throughout the year. And I like the cold.

Hope this gives you a little bit of info on POW. There are other communities there but above are the major ones (for size).

NB1, thanks for the input on POW.
    Well, we had considered the KenPen just for the rain reason, but decided on SE because of the short commute to the Grandmas and the camping/fishing is really right out the front door (I guess that could be just about any place). The fishin' really blows my hair back and It is a darn amazing place to us, overall.
    About Nakauti, do you think that the fact that "it is just one big Home Owners Association" has anything to do with it's rep.? (When I see things like that, in places like there, it makes me think of folks who are trying hard to bring their home state up there with them because they have the need for everything and everyone around them to be "Just So"). My feeling is that they do this under the excuse of "Guarding their property value", or "insuring the school stays open", but I know for a fact that there are better ways of doing both of those. In my opinion, having an HOA misses the point of living in Alaska, and the "Singularity" of it. In all the years, I've been going to Alaska, I've seen more people "throw themselves against the rocks" trying to get Alaska bend to their needs, than I have seen Alaska actually bending.
    To me it is just folly (trying to be tactful on this point). To me Alaska is where you go to experience the rawness, the "big"ness, the wildness of it. And the price you gotta pay for all that - that will feed your soul, is to get a little (and sometimes a big) chunk taken outta your hide. I happen to think that's fair.
    One of my biggest dislikes is having people tell me what to do with property that I own. Which is one of the reasons we are attracted to Alaska (among many reasons) because most folks up there seem to realize there are bigger battles in life to fight than "His house has not had siding on it since he built it 2 years ago" and "Gawd! I can't belive he feels the need to hang moose antlers off his garage".
    I feel we are good and responsible people, and since I'm footing the bill, that should be enough. IMO.
    Yeah, the rain is a detractor, because like most folks, we like fishing and camping in the sun more than the rain. But if it was sunny up there all the time, the place would be covered up in homeowner's associations and we might as well live in the San Juan Isl's in WA ST. (A Big "NO THANKS").
    In all honesty, we're not really settled on any one area of POW. I mentioned in a previous post that "she who must be obeyed" (she actually has a coffee mug that says that... Which is kinda humorous, 'cause she's a whopping 4'11" tall and weighs about 95 Lb.s. LOL) will lay eyes on something, or feel something, or whatever, and decide we will buy "X" property. Usually for reasons known only to her and some cosmic womans intuition network. I'm at least smart enough to know that I'll take what I get and design accordingly. But I like that.
    Now, I'll go ahead and sign off of this post so I can take a thrashin' from the HOA people on how wrong I am, and how it is me who misses the point. And in my defense, I will state ahead of time that I haven't missed the point... It is right there on top of my head where it's always been =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast