Thread: homer hunt

Default homer hunt

lookin to hunt for some blackies along the homer coast line by glassin from an 18ft boat, then beach it and stalk up on it. probably gonna take three with us, two to stalk, and one to stay with the boat so it doesnt walk off. ive heard its a pretty effective technique so we're game to try. we got a 35 hp jet motor and we wanna make sure itd be enough in the open waters.

we're brand new to this technique and any pointers from anyone who knows the area would be much appreciated. not lookin to step on anyone's toes, just looking for a fun hunt. thanks

-andy

I won't take my 17.5 foot boat out with it's 90 horse jet. A lot depends on your boat but in my opinion I wouldn't take any boat out into the ocean much less open water w/ a jet that small. Bay running w/ an 18 foot skiff is not uncommon but most run a 50+ horse prop and stick to sheltered water and calm days. It sounds like this plan could lead to a short swim and a long nap if you have anything less than ideal weather.

thanks for the input, im just glad i can ask the veterans before i make the mistake! ill just have to revise the plan and get a much bigger motor.

Default Yeah...

... the jet sounds dicey, but the 18' is doable with a regular outboard of 50+hp. You could try the snow chutes of Sadie Cove and beach your boat. Be prepared to camp! When you turn the corner into the "sound" which consists of the waters between Sadie, Tutka, and the islands, plus Eldrige Passage you may find different conditions than you had in Sadie... but then Sadie can be a wind gut too (as can any fjord). Never underestimate what K-Bay can throw at you and you will live to hunt another day. There are bears in there for the determined hunter (and lots of clams if you get weathered in. Yum!)

I've caught a couple of nice halibut way back in Tutka bay. Wouldn't hurt to drop a line while glassing.

I would not recommend the jet. One small piece of trash and you loose most of your power, with a jet you loose power and you loose steering. One wave over the back and things get ugly quick. Weather, Weather, Weather, I would take along a VHF radio and a survival suit for each person in the boat. They can be bought on ebay cheap and sold when you are done. You have only minutes to survive in our cold waters, I almost lost my life learning this lesson. Be prepared to spend the night if you need to, with your gear in water proof bags. A chart and GPS because it is easy to get confused about your location or the fog can sweep in. Some thick leather gloves for the hike up through the Devils Club. When you spot one up high, take all you need to get it back in one trip, camera, game bags, ect... It will take you longer to climb than you might think, take water. Remember in an open boat, wind and sea spray will wet everyone and everything even on clear days.
    Link to a suit.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Exposure-Suit-Su...item2305018bf6

Also watch the tides as they can leave you high and dry in minutes, you live by the tide book when you are doing what you have in mind.
    Here is a photo of a rental skiff that some GIs were using. They had to wait for the tide to come in to get back in the game.

Spring Blackies on the salt is one of my favorite hunts and the wife and I go every year.

Get out and enjoy, just be smart about it.

Steve

Nice pic Steve think I have one from that same location back in the 80's with my dads boat high and dry. Wish we had the one of another jetboat sitting there high and dry as well that had just gutted the hull cutting between the islands/rocks in the back ground!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default watch the wx

watch the wx coming over the mountains. The big bays will williewog and the waves get big. Once I got caught in one and it went from 2 to 15+ feet in 4-5 mins. Jets aren't a good idea, carry a anchor and at least 250' of scope. when you get out to chase a bear take the anchor above the shore line and secure it to a tree or something solid, 25' tides in the spring. Just hunt when the weather is calm. The wind will beat you up in a small boat like that. Get a tide book for everybody and carry it, the tide is everything in the lower inlet. Now after all the neg. stuff have fun, just pay attension and don't be afraid to ask questions , people will help you out in the area. If you seem to be the only ones going out on a given day think it over.

one thing to consider in k-bay is that there are actually very few spots where you can see over the berms onto the tidelands.
    the slopes and chutes in sadie is where everybody goes, and it can actually be pretty crowded in a small area these days. i doubt there is a day from late may to mid-june that there isn't anyone cruising or anchored and glassing there.
    your best bet is to make a camp somewhere and hunt from there.
    sadie and tutka are also hit by the "big boats" that transport hunters to the outer coast. they will overnight there on the way out and/or back, and if the weather is crappy around the corner then they will hunt them hard.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/