Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns - What Else Do I Need?

Default Guns - What Else Do I Need?

OK guys I have a great little gun shop nearby where I am regular and where I trust the man who owns it. So if I need any other firearms before I head up to AK I want to get them now.
    Here is what I have currently:
    Winchester Mod 70 30-06
    Winchester Mod 70 "Coyote" in 22-250
    Winchester 94 in 30-30
    Ruger 10/22 in .22 mag
    Browning Buckmark .22 rifle
    Remington 870 12 ga turkey gun with 3.5 chamber
    Benelli Ultralight 20 ga semi auto
    Browning Buckmark .22 pistol
    In addition to the hunting guns above I have a Kimber .45 I use and carry for self defence (some of the hospitals I work in are in real bad neighborhoods) and a S&W Mod 27 .357 mag with 6 inch barrel that was passed down to me from my father.
    What do you guys think? Anything I should consider adding? Any suggestion as to the best way to get them all to Alaska? I am planning on driving up there in my truck but was only planning on taking the 30-30 or the 870 with me in the truck for emergencies.

Well, this is in the small game forum, but from your post it looks like you're moving up to stay. I'd say you have everything you need and then some in terms of small game.

As far as any other gun you might need in Alaska - honestly you can do everything you need with what you already have. If you're looking for an excuse to buy another shooter or two though, some folks will tell you if you're going to spend much time in bear country and don't want to carry a shotgun with slugs or a rifle, a big bore revolver might be in order. The 44 mag. is generally considered to be the minimum acceptable caliber for bear defense in a handgun. It also happens to be the most commonly carried caliber for that purpose, but there are also several more powerful options available. (454 Casull, 475 linebaugh, 480 Ruger, 460 and 500 S&W)

Some might also tell you that you need a bigger rifle for really big game, though your 06 is certainly capable of taking every animal in the state with the right bullet in the right place. The three most popular all-around big game calibers based on a poll still running in the hunting forum are .300 win mag, .338 win mag and 30-06, in order of most votes.

What you get is entirely up to you. I would advise you to read through the two recent polls for rifles and handguns to get an idea of what Alaskans are using:

Click here for the rifle poll.

Click here for the handgun poll.

As for getting them to Alaska - Handguns can get you in trouble in Canada, so you deffinitely want to ship them. You should check the laws for the long guns too - Theres a website you should be able to find by googling "transporting firearms through Canada".

For the ones you are going to ship, you will need the help of a FFL dealer. Google gun shops for the nearest city in Alaska you will be traveling to, and call a few to find out if they will help you out. There will be some sort of fee, so call around and get the best deal. You will need to ship them from one FFL to another, so the gun shop close to you that you mentioned should be able to help you on your end.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thank you so much AKsoldier. I will check out the links you suggested for sure. All of my long guns, except the Buckmark .22 rifle, have custom fitted stocks. I am very short (4'11) and if I needed another long gun I wanted to buy it and get it fitted to me here where I have a great gunsmith who understands what I need. When I was in the service I loved the ajustable stock on my M4. I had wondered about the needs for a powerful handgun but I wondered if the need for one was overblown, just wondered as I am certainly in no position to have an opion on the matter. I have a hard time getting my hands around the grips of most large revolvers and that makes it hard for me to control them. To give you an idea I had a heck of a time with the size of the M9 and if it had been in anything more than 9mm I don't know if I could have qualified with it.
    I am very much hoping this will be a permant move for me. It seems there is a real shortage of trauma and critical care certified nurses in Alaska and recruiters just about fell over themselves trying to recruit me to Alaska.

You're not short. The rest of us are tall. Thanks for your service, and best of luck to you on planning your trip. What sort of hunting do you plan to do here? Just fyi - your first year you won't qualify for a resident hunting license, but you can still get a small game hunting license as a non-resident for just $20 so you can still get out an hunt. There's plenty of bunnies, grouse, ptarmigan etc. that can keep you busy the first year. Then after you've been here a year, you're a resident.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Agree with AKSoldier on the fact that you have what you need already in terms of long guns. I myself use a .300 win mag and I have found it to be more than adequate. Your 06 should be plenty for whatever you want to hunt here. Especially if you shoot it well. I would rather take my .270 to the field that I can place exactly where I want than a 45-70 or .375 that I am 8 inches in any one direction on (I dont have either). So if your good with what you got you don't need anything else.

Actually, what you need, sir, is a couple of strong cases to carry all those guns safely! Your present guns will do the job nicely. You're covered for everything we have available to you. The .30-06 is still a top cartridge and will quickly kill any big game animal in Alaska. As in all big game hunting, it is most important to shoot at an un-alarmed animal, and place a proper bullet into a vital area, and remain silent and calm after said shot.

What you really need are those things that come after that great shot with your .30-06; a couple of good knives and a strong back!

Your present shotguns are also quite adequate, but a person can't have too many shotguns.

Enjoy the adventure, and welcome to Alaska!

Jim

Default Shipping

I just moved out of the state and shipped my guns from myself to myself and picked them up when I got here. Canada charges a fee for each gun and it was cheaper for me to do it this way. You might want to look at this process as well. Look on ATF's website. This way you won't need an FFL

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I just moved out of the state and shipped my guns from myself to myself and picked them up when I got here. Canada charges a fee for each gun and it was cheaper for me to do it this way. You might want to look at this process as well. Look on ATF's website. This way you won't need an FFL
    This is good info. I came up through Canada with 2 rifles and a shotty. Their rules are BIZARRE... overall length rules made me leave one shotty home, caliber rules could have effected my handgun choice, but I didn't try to bring handguns as those rules are even tougher.

I will be going down to CA this summer and will bring up a few when we fly home. That is the best way to do it i think, though I will also try and ship some while there.

You'll have to ship your handguns. Can't take them through Canada as far as I know. May be some process for locked cases and all, but I'd check with Canada and follow their regs to the letter.

Your spread of guns looks just fine. I made one mistake when moving here in 1975. I sold guns before the trip, figuring I would replace them with "better" choices once I arrived.

Well, shoot. I ended up buying back most of what I sold.

Don't sell any guns until you get up here and get your feet wet. You might want to add to the spread a little here and there, but you aren't likely to know what you want to buy till you've kicked a few tussocks and waded a few bogs.

Now, with that beagle in your house, if you're absolutely Jonesing for a new gun, I'd take a hard look at a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge. Get the model with the 26" barrels and straight "English" style grip. Mine weighs more than a pound less than my 20 gauge Red Label, and it's pure joy to carry and shoot on a snowshoe hunt. It's absolutely a dream for ptarmigan and grouse too.

You 20 Benelli will do just fine, but we're talking about the gun buying Jones, and "fine" just doesn't cut it under those rules.

What Kimber do you have? There may be a conversion kit for it that will allow you to shoot the 460 Rowlands. When you get up here take it in to wild-west guns and ask them about it or look up form member wild west and shoot him a PM. It may be an option to get a little more "thump" out of a pistol you are already familiar with and alleviate the pains of trying to go to a big framed revolver. The Glock 20 in 10mm may be another option though you are already pretty much there w/ the 357.

I assume that the 22-250 is a heavy barrel? I am not a fan though there are many that like them. They are great for bench rest shooting but we don't have high volume hot barreled predator/varmint hunting up here so the heavy barrel is more of a pain since you end up carrying it around in the snow a lot more than actually shooting it. I also prefer stainless rifles w/ composite stocks for regular use, blued and walnut is beautiful but maintenance intensive in our frequently wet environment. If you are bringing up blued rifles invest in plenty of quality oil and apply it frequently. Again lots of guys use and love em!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Actually, what you need, sir....
    You might want to switch that "sir" for a "ma'am".

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0994 View Post
    Especially if you shoot it well. I would rather take my .270 to the field that I can place exactly where I want than a 45-70 or .375 that I am 8 inches in any one direction on (I dont have either). So if your good with what you got you don't need anything else.
    *** I am good with it. I can shoot the clothspins off the line offhand from 50 paces (though my paces are not as long as other people's). It used to be my grandpas. It is a pre64 Featherweight. I don't really have any desire to hunt brown bears, though I do like hunting black bears and have taken two of them, both over hounds but I just used my 30-30 and that was plenty of gun. Thanks for your input.

Actually, what you need, sir, is a couple of strong cases to carry all those guns safely!

*** Oh I have very strong gun cases. They are aluminum. "Sir"?

Your present guns will do the job nicely. You're covered for everything we have available to you. The .30-06 is still a top cartridge and will quickly kill any big game animal in Alaska. As in all big game hunting, it is most important to shoot at an un-alarmed animal, and place a proper bullet into a vital area, and remain silent and calm after said shot.

What you really need are those things that come after that great shot with your .30-06; a couple of good knives and a strong back!

Your present shotguns are also quite adequate, but a person can't have too many shotguns.

Enjoy the adventure, and welcome to Alaska!

*** Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Now, with that beagle in your house, if you're absolutely Jonesing for a new gun, I'd take a hard look at a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge. Get the model with the 26" barrels and straight "English" style grip. Mine weighs more than a pound less than my 20 gauge Red Label, and it's pure joy to carry and shoot on a snowshoe hunt. It's absolutely a dream for ptarmigan and grouse too.

You 20 Benelli will do just fine, but we're talking about the gun buying Jones, and "fine" just doesn't cut it under those rules.
    *** The Benelli is only 5 1/4 pounds. I love it. I am not inching for a new gun, I just want to make sure I get what I need while I am near the gunsmith who undersatdns exactly how I need the stocks trimmed for me. The Red Lable in 28 ga does sound nice though.

What Kimber do you have?

*** I have an Ultra Carry II. I just got it a few months ago.

There may be a conversion kit for it that will allow you to shoot the 460 Rowlands. When you get up here take it in to wild-west guns and ask them about it or look up form member wild west and shoot him a PM. It may be an option to get a little more "thump" out of a pistol you are already familiar with and alleviate the pains of trying to go to a big framed revolver. The Glock 20 in 10mm may be another option though you are already pretty much there w/ the 357.

*** I have found that I very much dislike DAO. I used to get in trouble in the army for carrying my M9 cocked

I assume that the 22-250 is a heavy barrel? I am not a fan though there are many that like them. They are great for bench rest shooting but we don't have high volume hot barreled predator/varmint hunting up here so the heavy barrel is more of a pain since you end up carrying it around in the snow a lot more than actually shooting it.

*** Yes it is a medium bull barrel. I got it for varmit hunting in South Dakota, also for calling coyotes from stands. I see what you mean about carrying it around in the brush. Maybe a light weight sporter in .223?

I also prefer stainless rifles w/ composite stocks for regular use, blued and walnut is beautiful but maintenance intensive in our frequently wet environment.

*** I can certainly see what you mean but I have found cutting the composit stocks to fit me is much more involved than walnut. What can I do to my walnut stocks to help protect them?

If you are bringing up blued rifles invest in plenty of quality oil and apply it frequently. Again lots of guys use and love em

*** Will do, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    *** The Benelli is only 5 1/4 pounds. I love it. I am not inching for a new gun, I just want to make sure I get what I need while I am near the gunsmith who undersatdns exactly how I need the stocks trimmed for me. The Red Lable in 28 ga does sound nice though.

Yeah, that Benelli is really fine. I'm a fan of the company and do all my waterfowl hunting with a Super Black Eagle. I've shot but never owned the 20, simply because I have so many other 20's in the house. Gotta be careful if you ever get a chance to shoot the Red Label 20 or 28, though. Serious addiction is lurking in the wings.

There are several smiths in the Anchorage area that can make the stock adjustments for you, but it would help if you showed them a few guns that are just right for you. You could still ship back to your favorite gunsmith, but that takes away the fun of being in the shop.

You'll be fine with your current spread of arms..... That is, unless you get hooked on muzzleloaders. There are special primitive weapon seasons and drawing hunts for some real prime hunts. I happen to be into traditional types, but own modern inlines too. You're not allowed to use scopes in the special hunts (though scopes are legal in the regular season), so the inlines hold zero advantage over the traditionals. And the traditionals allow you to build your own and all the accessories. THAT is where the addiction comes in for anyone crafty like me. This year I shot my deer while hunting with a rifle and all accessories I'd made myself--- basically everything but my clothes. What a feeling of satisfaction!

I think a sporter .223 would be an excellent choice. An AR w/ the collapsible M4 style stock would be a lot of fun too!

Excellent choice on the Kimber, I purchased the same model for my wife and she loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    Anything I should consider adding? Any suggestion as to the best way to get them all to Alaska? I am planning on driving up there in my truck but was only planning on taking the 30-30 or the 870 with me in the truck for emergencies.
    Did I mention that should you choose Awesome, Charming Sunrise, Alaska as your new home everything you could ever want or need will be supplied to you, for free........

Default RN

To insure your walnut stock does not "swell " Remove the barrelled action and seal all the interior of the stock. Also, remove the recoil plate or pad and paint or seal the end. Then keep metal oiled and you'll be fine. welcome to the Greatland.

Default shipping guns

Welcome to the forum & your move to alaska Emily..
    You've pretty well got the board covered on the guns...while you'll get hundreds of responses to which gun is the right one, the '06 will do all that you'll probably want up here & ammo is readily availble.
    I've been through canada several times with rifles, make sure you download there firearm transport form & have it filled out prior to getting to customs, it will make things go much smoother.
    There's a guy here in palmer/wasilla that does ffl transfers for not much & he's retired military, so he might cut you a good discount. you should be able to send them from yourself to him. I'll try to get his number & get it to you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast