Thread: Eagle River fishing?

Default Eagle River fishing?

Does anyone ever catch any fish out of Eagle River in Eagle River? Whats in it? Thanks!

Not much. There are a few weekends when you're allowed to fish kings in late May and early June, but success rates are low. I hear of a couple being pulled out each year, but that's about it. They tried stocking it like Ship Creek, but that didn't turn out well and they cancelled the program after a few years. A few folks know of a hole or two that can be productive for silvers, but otherwise Eagle River isn't much for fishing.

Was told by a good friend of mine that there's some dollies to be had in there too but like Brian said, you gotta find a good hole. I've been interested in Eagle River since I moved up here but havent fished it much yet. I might put in some time this year finding a honey hole though
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

It might be worth it to float it first and see where the good spots are. There is a parking area and a boat take out point just before Bravo Bridge on Fort Rich. I don't think you are allowed to fish below that bridge. I know there is an impact area for shooting mortars not far from there. Wouldn't want to catch one of those by accident.......

Be careful if you decide to float it. I have heard that there are some tricky area's on the upper section of it. Might be best to talk with someone that knows the river.

And don't forget about "The Bears". I had a friend that loved looking for gold. He came to work Monday and swore that he would never ever go walking around Eagle River again.

I often see people put in at the North Fork parking lot and float down to just before the Eagle River Loop Bridge. I heard that beyond that point there are some bad rapids.

Default float and Fish

I live right next to the river, you can float it from North fork, which is like 7 miles down ER road down to the highway bridge, but after that its when it gets nasty. There is actually a good hole right by my house but there are alwasy TONS of bears there, its like being on the russian but burried in the trees with bears. Its a large pool where a small fresh stream flows in. Like I said though, there are bears everywhere.

I feel much safer wondering around Afognak Island or Katmai than Eagle River Valley during salmon season.

As for floating, the upper part is class II the campground rapids is class IV and is really tricky at low water, so make sure to scout it first.

And the fishing is pretty bad, but it beats not fishing I guess.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Anyone know of any fishing restrictions on Eagle River? I know Kings can only be fished on the weekends around Memorial Day, but are there any other restrictions for Dolly Varden or Silvers? I have contacted Fish & Game several times and have not received a response. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MN2AK View Post
    Anyone know of any fishing restrictions on Eagle River? I know Kings can only be fished on the weekends around Memorial Day, but are there any other restrictions for Dolly Varden or Silvers? I have contacted Fish & Game several times and have not received a response. Thanks
    When you say you've contacted them, do you mean that you sent them an email? If that's the case, then you just need to call them. I've never had a problem getting them on the phone. And whatever answers they give you, be sure to get the name of the person you talked to just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    When you say you've contacted them, do you mean that you sent them an email? If that's the case, then you just need to call them. I've never had a problem getting them on the phone. And whatever answers they give you, be sure to get the name of the person you talked to just in case.
    Yes I just filled out the "Send a message" contact form. I was able to find some good information in the Rules and Regs page on their website. Good advice though I will be sure to call them in the future. Now I need to try and pull something out of the river.

It's my back yard at north fork. As the others say, not worth much. You catch dollies, and maybe a king if you lucky, and then silvers. But the bears are in and somewhat thick right now.

As for floating it - DON'T. It just isn't worth risking your life as I think 6 or 7 people found out this year, with 2 fatalities. The water is passable but there are a couple of log jams to deal with.

I've had my closest bear incounter with 2 brown bears a few years ago, now my wife won't hike the area at all. Funny how being 20' from a pissed off brown bear changes how some people think.
    Tony