Thread: 3/4 weight fly rod for trout???

Default 3/4 weight fly rod for trout???

Being new to fly fishing I thought I'd give it a try. I was thinking anout getting a 3 or 4 weight fly rod and reel for the local stocked lakes to catch trout and grayling. Is this to small?

Beaver Fork

3/4 wt isn't too small for the purposes you have listed, and if you decide that you want to expand your collection of rods one day that wt will be a dandy rod for grayling. That said, you might consider going with a 5 wt as you will open up a few more opportunities for a beginner (flowing waters for slightly bigger trout as well as dollies/char and even pink salmon) up here. With a 3/4 you will do fine, but your options will be somewhat limited, with a 5 you'll still do fine, and have more choices as to where/what you want to fish.

Best of Luck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

a 3wt is perfect for stocked trout. I have a Sage LL as my go to rod...and a couple 4 wt tfo's as backups or when I take other people out that cast just as good.

I'd go up another weight to a 6 or 7 if you really want to get into fly fishing for a 2nd can handle all but kings on it (and flipping for reds it's a little light for waters like the kenai). Plus it'll handle the sink tips and heavier flies for spring and summer rainbow fishing. I have a 10' 6 I hardly use being I normally am not here in the early spring for early wild bow stuff...I do love it but it's not quite the rod for chasing salmon.

Realize a weight is not indicative of an action. meaning not all 6 wts are created equal (or any other rod)..some are fast some are very slow. So choose wisely. A fast 6 is just as good if not better then a slow 7. It can handle the heavier lines easier and still have enough backbone to land the fish where as a slow 7 may not be able to even handle the heavy lines or flies you're casting. Just something to think about.

My go to's are a 1wt (small water grayling on top), 3 is my go to for grayling over all and stocked fish, a 7 for all but kings (though I've landed quite a few on it) and a 9 or 10 wt for kings...with a host of other rods just for good measure LOL!

We prefer 3's and 4's with a nod to the 4 for searun dollies, dollies in small rivers and pink salmon in salt water, as long as the wind doesn't blow. Not ideal for heavy flies, but Clausers up to #6 tied with bead chain rather than lead are no problem. Mounted with a decent reel and drag with at least 100 yards of backing under a floating line, a 4 turns pinks into "silvers" and handle them as well as an 8-weight handles silvers. We've converted a whole lot of 6-weight throwers to 4's for pinks. All they have to do is watch us or try our rods once. If you already have a 6, pick up a 4. If you only have something heavier than a 6, a 5 might be a better choice than a 4 for windy days.