Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Installing iron sights on a bolt rifle?

  1. #1
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default Installing iron sights on a bolt rifle?

    I just wanted to get some ideas and opinions on this - I grew up shooting the old fashioned way - with iron sights. Most modern bolt action rifles come without them and this bugs me. I don't mind shooting with a scope, and I realize they are indispensable for long range shooting, but I like the idea of having iron sights for back-up in case something happens to the scope. Has anyone here ever had iron sights installed on a rifle that didn't come with them?

    If so, what do you recommend as a good set of irons, and what should I expect the cost to be? Would a barrel band type front sight be best, or cutting a dovetail? I'm would like all of my rifles to have iron sights if it seems feasable.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    A Willams adjustable rear and the appropriate front bead makes a nice combination. Takes some precise measuring to make you have the correct front sight height.
    Either visit Brownells web site (or Willams for that matter) and pick and chose. Sights, front and rear, and installation should run about $125, give or take.

    Am with you by the way, last two moose I killed were with my iron sighted double, one at 80-100 yards and the second at 187 yards.
    Tennessee

  3. #3
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Thanks Randy, that sounds pretty reasonable. My favorite rifle is my Marlin 1895 in 450 Marlin. I suppose I'm in the minority on this, but I like the factory sights and will probably never change them or scope it, unless failing eyesight necessitates an optic aid. It is a sub-200 yard gun anyway, and I can hit what I'm aiming at consistently within that range.

    I'd like to get irons on my .300 win mag, and I've been looking at the Mossberg 4X4 in .338. I especially like the new ones with the fluted barrels and muzzle brakes. If I wind up with one of them, I'll likely have irons installed and may not even put a scope on it.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  4. #4

    Default

    My scoped long guns that get used a lot also have iron sights.
    I learned some time ago that stuff breaks.
    When your life depends on some thing & it breaks while needed it will give you a different outlook.

    My iron sights are mounted off to the side. My scope breaks I only need to rotate my rifle a few degrees to the left while shouldered to make use of my back up steel sights. A couple of buddies believe their lives just might have been saved by adopting this setup while we where deployed.

    I could see where this same set up might have some use on a deer rifle when meaner bigger stuff is about while your 3x9 is set on 6 & a quick shot is needed inside 25 yards or so.

  5. #5
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Exactly. I like to get as far out in the middle of nowhere as I can while I'm hunting. If I have an issue with a scope while I'm a day or two or more away from a place to fix it, I want to be able to continue my hunt with the irons.

    My scope always stays on the lowest power setting unless I'm going to make a long range shot though. If an animal is far enough away that I need to turn the power up, it's not going to know I'm there and I'll have time to make the adjustment.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Exactly. I like to get as far out in the middle of nowhere as I can while I'm hunting. If I have an issue with a scope while I'm a day or two or more away from a place to fix it, I want to be able to continue my hunt with the irons.

    My scope always stays on the lowest power setting unless I'm going to make a long range shot though. If an animal is far enough away that I need to turn the power up, it's not going to know I'm there and I'll have time to make the adjustment.
    I really like the sharing of ideas on stuff such as this. With that said I am not the best at it. A "Word Smith" I am not.

    One instance I hear of regularly, is being approached by bears while gutting or skinning ones kill. It is these times of being surprised that I believe steel sights along with a scope could have some benefit.

    The times you are almost close enough to smell their breath. Hand gun sure....always!
    But in a situation like this I will take the scoped rifle with steel sights, over a handgun every time it's with in reach!

  7. #7
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    I agree, provided I'm carrying the 450 Marlin. If I'm hunting with the 300 win mag, I'll take the 460 S&W over it for a close encounter with a fuzzy brown game stealer. A big, heavy bullet is a better stopper at close range than a high velocity rifle. I've read that high velocity rounds sometimes fail to expand well at very close range.

    You get much quicker follow-up shots with a handgun too.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    161

    Default Peep sights

    I prefer a peep sight over any other. I shoot them better. My old man always said, "If you can see it you can hit it." The only reason I use a scope is the low light performance. The "see it" part of the above quote. But as far as shot distance dictating whether to use a scope or a peep. I prefer the peep.

  9. #9
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    I prefer a peep sight over any other. I shoot them better. My old man always said, "If you can see it you can hit it." The only reason I use a scope is the low light performance. The "see it" part of the above quote. But as far as shot distance dictating whether to use a scope or a peep. I prefer the peep.
    Maybe I need a little more practice with peep sights. I just never got used to them. Too many years shooting with front blade/rear notch style sights I guess. That's why I like the factory sights on my Marlin.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Maybe I need a little more practice with peep sights. I just never got used to them. Too many years shooting with front blade/rear notch style sights I guess. That's why I like the factory sights on my Marlin.

    What your M-4/M-16 or whatever BSB hands out to you slackers does not have peep sights??? Well I have watched plenty of sheep hunting movies while out here and the guys doing the shooting none of their rifles wore open sights? Far as I'm concerned can't get any rougher than sheep/goat hunting I guess. Unless you are crusing on your 4 wheeler looking for moose and you roll your 4 wheeler and your gun takes a good beating LOL...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I agree, provided I'm carrying the 450 Marlin. If I'm hunting with the 300 win mag, I'll take the 460 S&W over it for a close encounter with a fuzzy brown game stealer. A big, heavy bullet is a better stopper at close range than a high velocity rifle. I've read that high velocity rounds sometimes fail to expand well at very close range.

    You get much quicker follow-up shots with a handgun too.
    I will take a 358 Norma mag that is delivering over 4,000lbs of energy at the muzzle for a close encounter with a bear instead of pistol that is delivering half that.. as my SCO say book it and well you can book that fact...

  12. #12
    Member Kay9Cop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    789

    Default

    I prefer NECG for iron sights. They're a bit on the expensive side, but top notch, especially if you go with their materpiece line. I just added a set to my Kimber Montana.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Anyhow back to the sights... If you could find some Ruger sights that would be pretty sweet. I liked the looks of the ruger sights myself. But my buddy who is a bigger gun nut than me and loves open sights on his guns goes for the NECG for iron sights as well...

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Maybe I need a little more practice with peep sights. I just never got used to them. Too many years shooting with front blade/rear notch style sights I guess. That's why I like the factory sights on my Marlin.
    I had a big problem with peep sights until a very wise O'l Gunny who had seen me shoot well with all other weapons regardless of sights got up real close to my ear & hollered
    "STOP THINKING ABOUT THAT F%@^()^ REAR SIGHT!! JUST PUT THAT FRONT F%@^()^ SIGHT ON WHAT YOU WANT TO PUT A HOLE IN!!!!!! & SQUEEZE THAT DAM TRIGGER!!!

    He was right! I was thinking to much about putting the front sight exactly in the center of the rear ring. I let go of it & my scores began to parallel what I could with other weapons.

    The NECG are fantastic sights.
    My idea here is to have steel sights for back up 1: should my scope fail 2: For close in, when I need a hurried shot

    I like express sights for this. They are compact, as quick as a front bead on a shotgun. They also mount well & out of the way while having a scope mounted.

    I am not knocking scopes. I love them they help me make shots I would other wise not take on game animals. I just love them even more knowing I have a back up mounted next to them that can be used quickly & efficiently

  15. #15
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    So THATS it! I tend to concentrate too much on centering the front sight post in the ring. I'll have to try that out sometime. Just ignore the ring and put the front post on the target, huh?

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  16. #16
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    So THATS it! I tend to concentrate too much on centering the front sight post in the ring. I'll have to try that out sometime. Just ignore the ring and put the front post on the target, huh?

    Several years ago, I was on my unit's shooting team, and we shot annual matches at the Pednau range on ft. rich. We shot prone un-supported with standard issue M-16's out to the 600 yd line (55gr A-1 ammo out of 1/7 twist A-2's I might add). I concentrated on the front sight (darkened with "sight black"), let the target be blurry, and the rear sight be ****ed, and won the slow fire event with IIRC, 12 bulls out of 20 (about 18" bulls, again, IIRC)---- the rest were 4 and 5 ring shots. Also, if your nose isn't touching the charging handle, either you're Asian, or you need to move up farther.

    Peep sights have the ability to be incredibly accurate sight systems, as long as the eyes are up to the task.

  17. #17
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Several years ago, I was on my unit's shooting team, and we shot annual matches at the Pednau range on ft. rich. We shot prone un-supported with standard issue M-16's out to the 600 yd line (55gr A-1 ammo out of 1/7 twist A-2's I might add). I concentrated on the front sight (darkened with "sight black"), let the target be blurry, and the rear sight be ****ed, and won the slow fire event with IIRC, 12 bulls out of 20 (about 18" bulls, again, IIRC)---- the rest were 4 and 5 ring shots. Also, if your nose isn't touching the charging handle, either you're Asian, or you need to move up farther.

    Peep sights have the ability to be incredibly accurate sight systems, as long as the eyes are up to the task.
    Yeah, my last qual score was 38/40. I was using the red dot CCO though.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  18. #18
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Yeah, my last qual score was 38/40. I was using the red dot CCO though.
    You can use that to qualify!!!!???!!!

  19. #19
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    You can use that to qualify!!!!???!!!
    Yep. Almost all of our M4's have those now. Either that or the Trijicon ACOG.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  20. #20
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Dang, i'm jealous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •