Thread: SE Weather

Default SE Weather

Crazy weather down here in SE. 46 degs at 9:00 the other night on POW. I'm sure we'll get some winter yet but the deer have got to be loving it. Snow line is way up the mountains. Next season could be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    Crazy weather down here in SE. 46 degs at 9:00 the other night on POW. I'm sure we'll get some winter yet but the deer have got to be loving it. Snow line is way up the mountains. Next season could be a good one.
    Bite your tongue I think it's over.

Default more like normal

than it has been the last 3 winters ... the rhubarb is starting to show and the strawberry plants are starting to stand up and the willow in the back yard is thinking about budding.

and the forest plants and alder are starting to get a little color ....

even if we have some more snow and cold ... which we probably will ... it won't be long till the Bears start stirring ....

if the Deer season gets any better than the one we just had .... it will remind me of the mid to late 80's .... hold me back !!!!

Not much of any snow down low but a good amount on top. We do need some more so we will have a spawning run. The crazy thing here is the deer are up it the snow we do have

Default rain

as long as we get plenty of rain at the right time there don't need to be allot of snow high up ... but that's for POW and Ktn area.

When I lived in Wrangell I was surprised in the difference in rainfall.

In this area we have like 2 different types of Deer .. the low land Deer who just stay in the low lands and like the beach areas ... and the mountain Deer they stay in as deep of snow that they can stay in.

Here the bucks generally stay higher all year and the does come down for spring and summer then go back up for rut

Default Migration

Durring the fall the high bucks come down and land in my freezer come hunting season......grin!

Ya, this weather sure will help things rebound. We'll see what Feb and March has in store for us yet?

Default winter killing

I was just talking with the Ktn ADF&G bio and he said even if we have some bad stuff now that it won't mean any winter kill ... in his field surveys lately the Deer are fat and happy.

The lack of Wolf in some areas on POW is kind of a mistery. That also makes the Deer happy.

Next fall could be something special. I was thinking the same about a late snow, shouldn't affect the deer much. Spring fever now with this weather. C'mon blackies!
    Wolves are getting a bit of pressure these days, guys e-calling and a few more trappers out and about. Don't know if that accounts for the lack of em in some areas but it sure helps the deer out.

Think this lack of weather is going to flip the light switch for those bears sooner than usual?

RW

Default no

Just back to more normal .... instead of the more later action of the last 3 years or so.

For many years the highest (dead Bear) kill day in the area for Black Bear was always about the 5th of May ... over time that shifted to around 15th of May.

I believe it was just more hunters coming later and not the actual Bear activity that caused the shift.

There is good hunting from late April to mid June.

Also over a long period of time the first Bear death on POW Island I would say average about April 20th .... I do however remember some being taken in early April or even in late March. But that also has more to do with actual hunting pressure and targeting the beaches where there are known early emergers. There is always Bear being sighted before the first one is sealed.

I believe Bears standing up is more an internal biological clock, photo period and elevation of Den than current weather. Current weather has a lot to do with the Bears activity after they stand up.

I hear it so warm down on P.O.W, that the forest service boys are wearing their summer shorts to work.

Default today

It's another spring like day today .... if your at sea level facing the sun !!!!

I wouldn't say that if your at 1500 / 1800 feet on the north slope ... where many Bears den.

Still plenty of winter in the mountains !!!!!

From 2,000 on up there is plenty of snow. From 1,000 to 2,000 it runs from dusting to fair amount. Below a 1,000 its pretty much clear here on Wrangell. Etolin looks like it has alot more snow than here. From at the islands I can see each has a different amount of snow and some show none.

All I ask is that it snows like heck above 500' !!!

Hasn't been much of a ski year . . . (so far)

Last edited by L. G.; 01-26-2010 at 14:01. Reason: . . .