Thread: New dog coming up for adoption

Default New dog coming up for adoption

I got a call about a male yellow lab being given up earlier today. He is around 7 months old. This is the second owner, which does not bode well for the dog, but all the info points towards owner problems, not dog issues.
    The first family could not keep him because of health issues with one of their children. The second family, having tried to be the nice guys, have determined that they just are not prepared to be puppy parents.
    As of right now I know nothing about background, pedigree, health, etc. I am trying to find out more. The current owner did say that this young male is excellent with his kids, so their does not appear to be social issues.
    I am willling to make some assessments on the dog if anybody is interested but not living in Fairbanks. Send me a pm if you have more questions.

I could be interested River if you could find out more specific on him. I do live in fairbanks but have never owned a gun dog. I have been researching alot of the different breeds out there. I was leaning toward a pointer fairly heavily but I would hate to see a good lab have a hard time finding a home. If you could find out some more info on him such as papers, breeder, health problems, like you said and let me know. Also if you happen to go see him and give your opinion that would be most helpful as well. No promises, but I am definitely interested in finding out more info.

Also just noted that 450Hunter is looking for a lab. Sounds like a perfect partnership.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=71782

Default Potential

Hi,

I'm looking for a working dog as part of my wildlife research, and have several colleagues who've had great luck with labs. This guy might be just what I'm looking for. Is he still available?

Thanks!

~S. Gilbert

Were is the puppy located?

Default more info

Sorry I have not gotten back to you. I think I found a potential spot for the dog with an old friend who uses labs for field research. Just in case, here is what I know.
    Male lab, yellow, almost 1 year old, out of a registered female and a non-registered male. The first owner could not keep him due to some issue with a child which had nothing to do with the pup. The families time was taken up by the child. The current owner took the pup to help out the first owner. They've determined that now is not the right time for a dog. They have several kids, all of which play with the pup and according to the owner the pup is great with them.
    Best I can determine the sire was purebred, just not papered. He is out of state so no way to determine that for sure.
    I have not seen the dam yet. I've been told she has an even temperament, has been trained and hunted. Her hips were x-rayed and I was told they are good.
    I may pick up the pup to assess him. Pending my friends final decision, I can contact interested folks here. The dog is in Fairbanks just so you know.

Default 1 year old update

I thought I'd update you all on the pups progress. I do think I have a home for him, but just in case I'll provide you input on what I am doing and how it's going.
    Basic info: 1 year old yellow lab male from home with 2 small boys. They said great family/kid dog.
    They only had him for 2 months. The previous owner did some work with him.
    My assessments:
    74lbs, lanky, solid, square head, athletic build.
    He has a great personality. I got him on 2/3 in the afternoon and he is really doing well. I've put him into a little pressure and he responds well. No running away, but no growling/biting/fighting.
    I've introduced him to approx 25 people. He only had an issue with one. By the way, so do I. He was aggressive, but not uncontrollable. Then he settled down. He did not want that person to pet him, but he did sniff the guy. Everybody else, man, woman, short, tall, black, white, absolutely the atypical labrador. He likes them all.
    We took him through the hangar. Steep open grated stairs and landings, airplanes, fuel tanks, slick floors, loud shop equipment, big mobile equipment moving. While cautious at times, he is not afraid. He walks wherever I do without hesitation.
    He is inquisitive. He looks for every noise, every sound. He is a thinker.
    He likes to wrestle, but stops when told. He loves to play fetch and if allowed will play tug of war. Prey drive is good to high. So far his favorite toy is a rubber hose which we can play tug with.
    He has, in just over 24 hours, learned "wait" when I take him out of the kennel or walk through a door. He knew sit, but would do it begrudgingly and not stay. Now he knows what I want. I even walked out of sight and he did not move. "Down" was worse, but he knows it now. He towed the owner on lead, he will tow me if I let him but understands I want him to heel by my side. No way is he close to perfect. But what I see is a dog willing to yield and follow commands. He is not allowed off leash yet.
    After 5 hours in the truck we played, went into my office, and after just a short while he shut down, laid down, and rested. I like a dog with a motor that has an auto off switch.
    Again, I think he'll fit into the research program to become a tracking dog. The only hesitation I have is that he may be a bit tough for a novice to handle due to bad habits he has learned. I swear, people are the worst thing to happen to a dog. I do not want to narrow his options so much that we lose opportunities to place him in a good home. To that end I am doing this gratis. He is a nice dog and deserves a good, solid home to grow old in. I'll keep you posted.
    Oh, his name? CANNON. Trust me, it fits.

ARR, did you happen to check out Vince's Griff? Im sorry I don't mean to change the subject, I had just wondered about him since he was posted....

Thanks!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default no, I didn't

I did not have a person interested and did not have the time. I wish I could help out every hunting dog, but unfortunately have to work for a living.
    I like this yellow though. I think with good consistent training he will be a dandy. I'd like to see just how well he likes the water. I can imagine he hits it like a runaway train as athletic as he is.

Default Cannon found a home

It's taken a while, but Cannon passed on my initial assessments and then spent 2 weeks with his potential new owners. They completed their 1st phase of training and they like him.
    He made it into the research program which is way cool. He'll have a chance to track animals from seals to fawns and he'll be trained to recognize several different types of scat to indicate to his handlers.
    So not hunting, per se, but very cool that this nice lab found a home where he'll be loved, trained, worked, and played with.
    It was fun to spend time with a new dog, but it also showed me I need to focus on the young dog that I have. She is a sweety, and with luck I can get some good training in with this weather.