Thread: Need flyout advice

Default Need flyout advice

Hello,
    A buddy and I will be staying near and fishing the Kenai the last week of August this summer. We are thinking of trying to swing a 1 or 2 day fly out trip also. We are willing to go to the best location based on the conditions at the time. We are looking for a reputable, professional outfit with a fly fishing mind set. I would really appreciate any suggestions or references. Thanks for all the great advice you guys give!
    Anthony

Default Based out of Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
    Hello,
    A buddy and I will be staying near and fishing the Kenai the last week of August this summer. We are thinking of trying to swing a 1 or 2 day fly out trip also. We are willing to go to the best location based on the conditions at the time. We are looking for a reputable, professional outfit...
    Guided fishing? It shouldn't be too tough to find a charter for flyout fishing from Anchorage or even smaller towns on the road system. You could start with the Lake Hood services -
    http://www.alaskaanchorage.net/anchorage/lakehood.php

Rusts has some trips:
    http://www.flyrusts.com/alaska-fly-in-fishing.html

Willow Air (Willow, AK) has some options:
    http://www.willowair.com/fishing/pages/frates.htm

And Soldotna:
    http://www.talonair.com/talfish.html

You could check out a few websites, make some calls.
    Asking about specific air service providers on these forums in a separate post might be helpful. Winter's a great time to ask for opinions here

Good luck.

Remember that a planned one or two day fly out can turn into 4 or 6 days because of weather...........

If I were spending money to fly somewhere I would go pike fishing, seriously, a lot of the places folks get flown into are zoos, what with lodges, and float plane companies, and private pilots. Alexander lake though sounds awesome. I do love catching pike on top water though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for the input guys. I did indeed do some research on the web, I was just wondering to see if anybody had personal experiences. I have not seen Alaska from the air and figured combining that with catching a few fish would be a great trip. Certainly not looking for a crowd though - I can get that here on the San Juan.

We will be fishing with Jason Rand on the Kenai, and when I asked Troutfitters their opinion they mentioned Alaska West. Thanks 6x, I'm going to check out those you mentioned.
    Weather..."Sorry honey, I really tried to get back, but I had to stay because the planes couldn't fly. You want me to stay safe don't you?"

Default Sounds like a plan...

and a fine trip! Deneki gave a presentation at Ak Flyfishers awhile back - tents, but comfy tents. There should be plenty of info about the Kanektok and Arolik here, but AW will be your best resource - and they provide flies too - which simplifies things.

If your buddy cancels, there's about 700 forum members you can PM.

Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I did indeed do some research on the web, I was just wondering to see if anybody had personal experiences. I have not seen Alaska from the air and figured combining that with catching a few fish would be a great trip. Certainly not looking for a crowd though - I can get that here on the San Juan.

We will be fishing with Jason Rand on the Kenai, and when I asked Troutfitters their opinion they mentioned Alaska West. Thanks 6x, I'm going to check out those you mentioned.
    Weather..."Sorry honey, I really tried to get back, but I had to stay because the planes couldn't fly. You want me to stay safe don't you?"
    well - those mentioned (AK west, et al) are top end guided operations, not the sort of thing that you do on a day or 2-day trip. I suggest a day trip for silvers where-ever they are biting; there are various outfitters that do such trips from kenai area (or anchorage, from merrill) to north cook inlet (chuit/theodore/kustatan/silver salmon creek) or from Seward to montague I. (nellie martin/patton). Some of these can be camped if you want to do 2-days, and able/willing to deal with bears in the same area; they like to fish too.

You won't be alone in any of these places, but better than the Kenai, I suspect.

Default fly fishing

to know more about fishing and fly fishing destinations you can download our free fly fish e-book. from it you can have a list of fly fishing destinations world over and some useful fishing tips to follow.
    With regards
    Raghida Hallal