Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does porting/muzzle breaks affect accuracy?

Default Does porting/muzzle breaks affect accuracy?

Hi just looking for some opinions on this dilemma of porting or not. I have heard over the years that porting/muzzle breaks affect accuracy is this true. I know how important the crown of a barrel is where the bullet exits the rilfling as I am always careful to not damage it.But not so sure how porting or muzzle breaks if there would be any change of accuracy for a given rifle.

Thanks in Advance, BIG 27
    A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    Hi just looking for some opinions on this dilemma of porting or not. I have heard over the years that porting/muzzle breaks affect accuracy is this true. I know how important the crown of a barrel is where the bullet exits the rilfling as I am always careful to not damage it.But not so sure how porting or muzzle breaks if there would be any change of accuracy for a given rifle.

Thanks in Advance, BIG 27
    That's an easy question to answer, MAYBE. Anytime you change/adjust barrel harmonics or redirect gases exiting the barrel you may affect accuracy. Normally it's not an issue and I would not be concerned about the effect it will have on a hunting rifles accuracy IMO.

It's been my experience that muzzle brakes do not affect accuracy, and in some instances help "tune the barrel" (i.e., the B.O.S.S/brake system, the Vais brake, etc.), which can help tighten groups. In those instances, the muzzle brake incorporates a harmonic balancer -so to speak- with a muzzle brake that helps tune the barrell to a given type of load.

The area were a muzzle brake may affect accuracy (other than having a poorly made one - and you are correct in assuming that the barrel crown WILL affect accuracy, if you ever damage the crown on a rifle you'd find this out the hard way) is in lost gas pressure. Depending on the caliber, load, barrel thickness etc, this probably wouldn't become apparent (if at all) unless you are shooting several hundred yards (400? 500?).

There are plenty of folks here that can speak more intelligently on this subject than me. But I can at least speak from experience.

Grits

I 2nd Corinthians on this. As with the crown of the barrel, the release of the gas pressure in front of the bullet in a uniform manner is what's most important I think.

The trade off, if you can call it that, is that some MB's are pretty darn loud. Although some new designs are coming up with ways to fix that.

Mossberg is releasing new 4x4 rifles with fluted barrels with a factory muzzlebreak and the Lightning trigger system. From talking to the guys, these are coming out VERY accurate form the factory with a great trigger and a low price. They also have up to .338WM and now added WSM calibers as well.

Great rifles that shouldn't be overlooked.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

When I was building 50BMGs we did some testing of our brakes and found they had no repeatable effect we could see over 100 rounds (50 with 50 without) on a locked down rifle at 1000 yards. They dramatically improved groups when shot by a person, most likely due to less recoil resulting in less fear and a better trigger brake. This is my only experience with a brake on a rifle so I can’t say it's true for other guns but with quality workmanship I would assume so.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Having installed probably 200 or 300 brakes,or more, lost count a long time ago, I can't remember anyone complaining about reduced accuracy. But, for the reasons already mentioned, some folks have mentioned improved accuracy. My presumption is that this is primarily from the shooter not being in fear of the recoil and being able to concentrate on the shot in a more focused manner. Porting, when done by electrical discharge machining, not with a drill bit, should also have no significant effect on accuracy. A brake, when added to an existing barrel without shortening, should not reduce muzzle velocity at all. Porting, depending on the size of the ports and the technique in applying them, such as an "expansion chamber", may have the same effect as cutting your barrel the length of the porting. A brake is also a reversible item, if you don't like or need it , you can unscrew it and go back to where you started. porting is only removable by cutting the barrel off. I could go on, but this I am sure will pour plenty of fuel on the fire.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    Mossberg is releasing new 4x4 rifles with fluted barrels with a factory muzzlebreak and the Lightning trigger system. From talking to the guys, these are coming out VERY accurate form the factory with a great trigger and a low price. They also have up to .338WM and now added WSM calibers as well.

Great rifles that shouldn't be overlooked.
    I would stay way, way, way away from the Mossberg rifles... Well, any Mossberg actually. There have been a number of instances where the bolts have come apart. They are splined together and then pinned. The assembly has been poor at best on many of them.

Buy a used quality firearm if you cannot afford the heavy change for the new. It will cost much less in the long run. There is not much about a Mossberg to get attached to.
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I would stay way, way, way away from the Mossberg rifles... Well, any Mossberg actually. There have been a number of instances where the bolts have come apart. They are splined together and then pinned. The assembly has been poor at best on many of them.

Buy a used quality firearm if you cannot afford the heavy change for the new. It will cost much less in the long run. There is not much about a Mossberg to get attached to.
    art
    Except the ole standby 500 pump shotguns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

We're getting off thread here.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Ive had my KDF muzzle break on my .300 mag FN rifle for about 20 years, and i love it and its plenty accurate...The plus is I can shoot it all day, and not have a sore shoulder.

Default which one

I am planning on shooting the rifle first it is 375 H&H what would be a better choice porting or a muzzle break.I was leaning towards porting so I can keep right at 24 in barrel length I'm guessing most nuzzle breaks add 2 to overall length. Anyways a friend sent his barrel to Magna port and he was pleased with the service.

Thanks for the posts,Big 27
    A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

If the barrel is climbing, and your'e not worried about the rifle's recoil, then try the porting. It's been my experience that even if you port a hard kicking .375, that porting will still not keep you from getting scope scarred if your scope is short on eye relief or your shooting mechanics are poor (bad cheek position on your comb, usually caused by overdominance by the left eye in a right handed shooter. My son fight's this issue). I believe most folks will port a gun in order to bring the ordinance back on target quicker. Maybe more suited for a semi auto or combat arms. I am not aware of too many folks who port a bolt action sporter. Not saying it isn't done. Just sayin' I'm not aware of it.

However, as stated below, if you are looking to tame recoil, then you might want to consider a brake. As Gunbugs said, you cannot undo porting.

I am considering getting my a-bolt 325 ported. From talking w/ people it doesn't seem to effect recoil all that much but it does eliminate a lot of muzzle jump. This should reduce two things, cheek slap is a big one if your rifle is cracking you in the jaw. The other is the top fo the scope coming back and cracking you in the eye. Sure if you have a soft shoulder the gives the scope can come straight back but for me the barrel jumps and the top of the scope gets mighty close to my brow. I can't imagine shooting the rifle prone, at best I will get bruised at worst split open for you all to make fun of in the hunting photo's thread....

Another thing to consider, if you're lookin at porting from strictly an accuracy point of view and not as a recoil-reducing issue, then consider trying a Limbasvers Barrel Deresonator first. I have tested these and find that on some guns, they work very well. On others, they had little or even bad effects. Worth a try for less than $20.

And as to the comments about Mossberg... They are much better than you think. I've been in the outdoor media for a while now. I pride myself on not saying something is good when it is junk. The Mossberg rifles aren't junk. (Well, most of them...)

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default thanks to all

Thanks to all that was some valuable feedback.

Big 27

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    Thanks to all that was some valuable feedback.

Big 27

The best brag I have ever heard from anyone that makes muzzle brakes is there's won't effect accuracy. That indeed says a lot for any muzzle brake.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Cool i'm going to jump in here, with a hard no.

i have a brake (stan's)on my lever 30'06 , i screw it on and shoot... it hits where it's supose to ,i take it off and replace it with the litte cap, shoots to the Same Spot. The crown has the same flash/blast marks .... with or without. Just with a little more push on my shoulder
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I have a Vais brake on my 300RUM and 375 Ruger, love em. Both rifles kick hard without the brake and they shoot easy with the break. Both rifles shoot about .5" groups at 100 yards with the brake on, no reason to try them without.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast