Thread: g3 1652

Smile g3 1652

I am looking at river boats ,two person + light gear for fishing the aniak.I am needing advice.I would like to keep cost down & fuel ecomemy up.I am looking at a g3 1652 wsof with yamaha 40/30 any advice? thanks, TY

Default wanted the same and found it

I ended up w/ a 1652 wsof and I like it. A little heavier than the riveted boats but how can a guy be upset about a better built boat for the same price as a lesser craft.

I would recommend more power than a 40/30. I went w/ a Tohatsu 50 2-cycle DFI tiller and I've been happy w/ its performance, economy, and price. This setup will handle up to ~1000 lbs fairly well, half that and it jumps up in < 50' which is good enough for me.
    Matt

get the 60/40 yamaha or you will be sorry. then you have a great boat. also go for the center console if you can give up some room. you get to see better where you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by flatbottom View Post
    get the 60/40 yamaha or you will be sorry. then you have a great boat. also go for the center console if you can give up some room. you get to see better where you are going.
    This is on the Money!! I run a similar setup, 16' crestlilner, (50/35) though and for two guys the boat is awesome for cheap riverboating. Heck if everyone is good freinds it will haul 900 pounds easily. probably more actually I have just never had more than that in it.

Id steer clear of any getting any motor that is less than 50 H.P. at the head if your going to run a jet

I like my center console too. I actually have mine in the rear center. It does take up some precious room in that little boat but it provides a commanding view when you are driving through skinny spots.

I have a Yamaha 40/30 and find it to have plenty of power on my 1452 Alweld which probably weighs more than the 1652 G3. If you go up to a 60/40 on a boat this small then you are adding more weight than the boat can efficiently carry. Step up to a Honda 50/35 and you are putting more weight on your wallet than the 5hp is worth. As far as console I feel that on anything 16' or smaller a tiller is fine, much quicker steering, lighter and more room in the boat. Just my .02c

The honda has the best warranty. 5 years fully transferable and covers everything for the full 5. Plus the Honda 50/35 was designed to be a jet. It has a different gear ratio than the prop 50 and comes with a stainless impeller. Honda is the most expensive but you get more than just 5HP. I believe it is the lightest motor in its class too. But Id have to research that again.

I did alot of research and comparison last year and the honda came out on top despite the substantial price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I did alot of research and comparison last year and the honda came out on top despite the substantial price tag.
    I would agree that Honda is hard to beat other than the price. I had planned on getting Honda until I counted my pennies. Biggest thing other than price that was the deciding factor for me was the power trim/tilt on the Honda. The Honda will not kick up as easy as a motor without power trim/tilt. A motor that is locked down is very hard on the transom when you are jumping logs and beaver dams.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    I would agree that Honda is hard to beat other than the price. I had planned on getting Honda until I counted my pennies. Biggest thing other than price that was the deciding factor for me was the power trim/tilt on the Honda. The Honda will not kick up as easy as a motor without power trim/tilt. A motor that is locked down is very hard on the transom when you are jumping logs and beaver dams.
    Yeah I didnt take the jumping logs or beaver dams scenario into my purchase. You got a point there! I'd love to see a bigger pic of your avatar sometime now that you mention that scenario. My eyes pop out of my head every time I see it. Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I'd love to see a bigger pic of your avatar sometime now that you mention that scenario. My eyes pop out of my head every time I see it. Nice one
    That's actually a clip from a low quality video so it gets blurry if blown up very big but here it is a little bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images