Thread: rain wear -that will hold up to briers,

Cool rain wear -that will hold up to briers,

looking for rain gear thats good an breathable.but need to be brier ,thick brush proof.have alot of black berrys , saw briers hear .i plan on usen them here in alabama,one day alaska.buyin up alitle at a time to keep the wife off me .thats a must lol

Raingear that tough would be very stiff, loud, and crunchy.

I haven't found any rain gear that is both good, and brethable. When you add in something that'll hold up to briars, I'd love to find something like that, but don't believe it exists.

If you remove the breathable requirement, you might find helly hanson or grunden fishing bibs will do the trick. I find with a breathable top layer, the waterproof bibs keep me from getting soaked through going through wet brush, yet I'm able to get most of the prespiration out through my polypro and/or fleece upper layer.

used to wear Filson 'Tin Pants' in the woods in Oregon. Water proof, yes Chainsaw proof, not so good

I have a pair of river's west, they are great for the thick stuff but not to breathable. They do have vent zippers that work quite well for letting heat out if it's not pouring down rain, and they are 100% water proof.Only thing I've found to be brier proof.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    I have a pair of river's west, they are great for the thick stuff but not to breathable. They do have vent zippers that work quite well for letting heat out if it's not pouring down rain, and they are 100% water proof.Only thing I've found to be brier proof.
    Devils club went right through my RW I used to have.

Did you send them back under warranty, or were they to old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did you send them back under warranty, or were they to old.
    That was my 1st set and I did get a replacement. They leaked plenty before I hit the devils club. The second set leaked also but they would not replace them again.

I'd never buy the RW junk again.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    That was my 1st set and I did get a replacement. They leaked plenty before I hit the devils club. The second set leaked also but they would not replace them again.

I'd never buy the RW junk again.
    I wouldn't buy them either if I were you. Me and my buddies all have had pretty good luck with ours so far. I was only recommending them, everybody has good and bad luck with everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wouldn't buy them either if I were you. Me and my buddies all have had pretty good luck with ours so far. I was only recommending them, everybody has good and bad luck with everything.
    You'll probably be fine unless you spend all day in a drenching rain.

If you are going to spend all day in the thorns there is no better pants than a pair of Filson tin pants. They are ugly, you can't really even wash them, but they really get the job done. Top it with a Helly Hanson or Grunden rain jacket and you are good to go. Waterproof and breathable do not go hand in hand in my experience.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default filson ?

think the bibs might be just what i was lookin for .are the built tough ?

They are great! I used them for pheasant huntin in MN and the Dakotas. I just had the chaps though. Only thing I would get is spend the extra $$ for zippers on the legs

I have an eVent shell that is very breathable. I have used it backpacking in a lite rain and stayed both cool and dry. I am not sure how it would do in thorns but it did fine in against raspberry bushes. It is not very quiet though, but I just move slow and the rain does a good job at dulling the noise. Can't recommend it just yet but I am looking forward to more testing!

Devil's club will poke holes through the heavy HellyHanson rainwear..it makes mincemeat out of any Gortex variant
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Wool...?

As posted by others, so much depends on the properties you need where you're planning to hunt/hike/etc. Tough, waterproof, and breathable: very difficult. However, kind o' tough, kind o' waterproof and kind o' breathable: maybe possible. Sometimes good enough is OK.

Raingear materials: still imperfect: Any one job raingear can do well, but combine them and I think you get conflict. Waterproof materials exist - really waterproof. Breathable materials, excellent ones exist. But finding waterproof AND breathable has been difficult, mostly compromises. Add a new performance parameter: toughness... and you get more conflict.

Choose yer compromises: Wool could work if temps were cool enough? Thick wool can be tough enough for briars. Might not really shed water, but depending on temperature... it could work alright. Sometimes I know ya really neeeeed waterproof. But a lot of times it's not as important. The Filsons that AkDoug mentioned might work well too. As I recall 1 of Filson's fabrics (tin cloth, shelter cloth or cover cloth) is engineered to shed water...maybe with their "oil finish". Sometimes good enough is OK, but I find it's easy to ask raingear to do too much.

What works for you might not work for someone else. An individual's needs (cold/heat tolerance, slender build vs more insulated physiques) and the particular field situations (temps, winds, rainfall and exertion levels) further complicate meaningful comparisons - make it difficult to predict if gear your buddy found great on his hunt will suit you on a different hunt. You can buy $900 worth of hope, and $900 might buy "pretty good" rain gear (a lot of breathability and waterproofness). It might be perfect for one guy on one hunt (or future similar hunts), but I think it's hard to convince many that any one material does it all well yet.

For now, to do multiple jobs well, you need more than one layer and material, tailored to you and your conditions. When it's wet, a proven waterproof layer is most always going on top. The colder it gets, the more I value breathable layers. Work in progress though. Good luck.