Thread: thinking about picking up s--- and g--- handguns

Default thinking about picking up s--- and g--- handguns

i was looking at the new Taurus new polymar public defender model 410.ga / 45.lc what do think about the newer models of the judge model handguns ..

The judge is almost worthless as a 45 and 2x as worthless as a 410. My buddy had one and sold it after we took it to the range and patterned it. WildWest guns has a barrel extension that makes it usable as a shotgun for short range. For my money if I wanted a useful handgun that had potential for shooting birds and bunnies I would pick up a contender frame and a 410 barrel. That and a 223 barrel would be tons of fun for predator hunting!

I agree except for shooting a perp who head is in your car window

I have one,IMO it's a great gun for what it's designed for,to stop a would be mugger.

I bought mine for my daughter to carry in her purse.It's loaded so that the first shot fired is 410 then 45.

What it's not is a hunting weapon or a range gun and to many people purchase the Judge thinking it's a do it all 45 colt and it get's a bad rep because of this.

Default What I want to know is

if it is intended for defense against people, muggers, why use the .410 instead of using the .45 Colt. Makes no sense to me, like mixing buckshot and slugs against bear.

if i going to use it it going to be at get off me range with me touching the person.. i would be stupid to use on a bear or other large game animal

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    if it is intended for defense against people, muggers, why use the .410 instead of using the .45 Colt. Makes no sense to me, like mixing buckshot and slugs against bear.

She's 18 years old and not the best shot with a pistol.If she's attacked I want her to be able to at least hit whoever with the first shot,that's why the first round is a 410.

Being that statistics say that most gunfights are 7 yards or less,getting hit with a 410 will get your attention and give her a chance to regain her thoughts and get off the 45 in a 2nd shot if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    what do think about the newer models of the judge model handguns ..
    Same as i've always thought about the previous models... "worthless, JUNK"!
    If you want a 45 Colt, buy a 45 Colt, if you want a .410 get one that might actually serve some purpose.
    If you want to waste money on something totally useless, well, the "Judge series" just might be the ticket!
    As is usually the case, something designed to to 2 jobs, rarely ever does either of them well!