Thread: 35 Whelen Ready for the Range

Default 35 Whelen Ready for the Range

28" 35 Whelen fluted SS TC barrel 1:12 twist
    Encore/Pro Hunter frame with Hardwoods stock and forearm
    Talley once piece base and rings
    Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 scope
    A lot of necked up 06 brass and 225 TBBC, 225 TSX, 225 Accubonds and a couple pounds of RL15.

Oh yeah I'm ready to hit the range and hopefully give the 358 norma a run for its money. I'd love to throw a couple 310gr Woodleighs down range too.

Gremlin, nice looking rifle! I just got a 35 whelen in the Ruger Hawkeye, blued with walnut with the same 2.5x8 Leupold. The research I have done seems to show that guys have found the 225 gr has been the best for their whelen.
    What break in are you following?
    I did see that the price on a box of factory 310 Woodleys on Midway are priced around $40. Let us know how it shoots.

I have never followed a break in procedure and actually never plan to. My idea of breaking in a rifle is putting one in the pipe, squeezing the trigger, remove fired case, and repeat.

I will chrono all my loads and post my results. When that will be I don't know yet.

I also plan to buy a 100 box of Hornady 200gr Interlock for cheap practice.

Sounds good. I'll try to do the same and see what the differences are.

Do you have a weight on that setup? The nice thing about an Encore is that you can run a 3" or so longer barrel setup and still have the same overall length as a comparable bolt gun. I'd love to have a 25" or so Whelen on an Encore
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

weight with scope is right at 8 pounds. Not too bad, but I'm expecting it to kick like a mule with a max load of RL15 and a 225 TSX.

Default Cool Rifle..

I got to handle this rifle the other day over at WG's house. It's very nice and I tried to get my other buddy with me to distract WG long enough for me to get it out to my truck. I like 35's...

I got some 310 Woodleighs if you would like a handful sir. They shot about a 2.5 inch "pattern" with my 700 CDL Whelen. But 2.5 inches on a bear at 30 yards and closing isn't that big of a deal now is it...

Hey there Mark. You are up awfully late. ~

After searching and scanning over scopes for quite some time I decided to take your advice and go with the VX3 2.5-8. The more I thought about it the more I realized that sscope was perfect for this caliber. The clarity of this scope is amazing!!!! There are plenty more reasons why I really like this scope to the others I have too. I'm stoked about using this combo for spring bear and fall moose.

I've prepped and primed a bunch of brass for load development, but I'm waiting for my 35 whelen Hornady OAL piece before I charge the case and seat bullets.

I'd be willing to trade you some 405gr WFNGC, 338 Barnes, or 401 200gr WFNGC for those Woodleighs. I have a box in my Midway wishlist at the moment. I even have a bag of 45/70 brass at my place with your name on it, forgot to give it to you when you were over the other day.