Thread: Right rod ?

Question Right rod ?

I was looking for a resonably priced 3 piece travel rod for fishing the parks highway streams and rivers for silvers . I like Cabela's graphite 7' salt striker. would I be better off with the 8-15 lb class or the 10-20 lb class. I fished last year with a fiberglass 6' med action and felt a little under gunned.

I think that you are okay either way and it is more a matter of preference. If you want to take your time and finess them in, a lighter rod can definately be a kick in the shorts, but if you are releasing fish or are at all uncomfortable in the situation, a heavier rod will get them in with the minimum discomfort to you and fish. I have a hard time believing that you'll go wrong either way.

I'd go with an 8 wt fly rod. IMO baitcasting gear should be reserved for the saltwater, and spinning gear should be reserved for trash fish like bass If you don't want to learn to fly fish I'd recomend getting the longest baitcaster you can find. Line control is critical when fishing in streams which is why fly fishing rules in streams. I use nothing higher than 14 pound test (tippet), unless i'm fishing for halibut, or reds on the mainstem keani.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Cabela's has an all-new Salt Striker-Ti rod coming out next month. I got an opportunity to play with one and it is a great rod. Certainly worth waiting for, especiually is a travel rod. The Titanium lines guides will not break and can be smashed and crushed, always returning to shape. I'll likely get one for myself.