Thread: 20A hunt options?

Default 20A hunt options?

Any one have any suggestions for the 20A registration hunt? Trail heads, access, military area access? Any tip's, points of interest are greatly appreciated.

You migt want to be a bit more specific by telling us which hunt you are registered for?

Also do you have snowmachines and winter camping gear?

Will you be on foot?

Where are you coming from?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I am wanting to do the winter antlerless hunt the end of this month or the beginning of Feb. I do have snowmachines, and winter gear. I am from the Wasilla area. I have been looking for info on map's, and have talked to the dept. of Fish and game, but have been having a hard time getting a good game plan. The Rex trail goes into one of the open areas at one point, but it is a way in and I haven't been on the trail before so I don't know what to expect. There are some interesting looking areas in the north part of 20A in the Delta area, but there are alot of Military use areas there, and I have not yet found out who to talk to for access to that land.
    I don't mind the idea of going into an area blind to learn it, but it would be a great bonus to see some animals while I do it!
    What I am mostly looking for here is info on some of the winter trails in the 20A area that may not be shown on ADF&G or Atlas maps.
    Thanks to all for any aditional info.

For military land access in Delta you need to talk to Ft. Greely, but Eielson and Fort Wainwright recreational access passes are also accepted. On Eielson it's an hour long class and you show your license to get your access pass. I'm not sure about the Army. Every time you go on the land you call the local number and key in your permit #. Everyone in your party must have a permit. The automated recording will tell you which areas are open, and closures can happen at any time, so your plan might need to be flexible.

Not to discourage you, but the reason why some of these areas in 20A don't reach their quotas is because they are very difficult to access. Vince posted a pretty good summary of the access for these areas a week or so ago if you search previous posts.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jdo View Post
    I am wanting to do the winter antlerless hunt the end of this month or the beginning of Feb. I do have snowmachines, and winter gear. I am from the Wasilla area. I have been looking for info on map's, and have talked to the dept. of Fish and game, but have been having a hard time getting a good game plan. The Rex trail goes into one of the open areas at one point, but it is a way in and I haven't been on the trail before so I don't know what to expect. There are some interesting looking areas in the north part of 20A in the Delta area, but there are alot of Military use areas there, and I have not yet found out who to talk to for access to that land.
    I don't mind the idea of going into an area blind to learn it, but it would be a great bonus to see some animals while I do it!
    What I am mostly looking for here is info on some of the winter trails in the 20A area that may not be shown on ADF&G or Atlas maps.
    Thanks to all for any aditional info.
    most of the zones do not have dedicated trails into them thats why they are the hardest to reach. even the area with in reach of the Rex trail is off the trail some ways. and only open a very short period. you will need a gooc map and GPS and good back country experiance for most of the open zones
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Ditto on the GPS

Last week a couple of hunter from the Illiamna area went on that hunt, via the Rex Trail. They ended up shooting a couple of moose in a closed area and were turned in by a witness. They had only traveled in about 30 miles and were a good 10 miles from any open area. Troopers responded and met them at Rochesters Lodge, and the next day went into the kill site and gathered evidence. More than likely they lost their moose, snowmachines, rifles and hunting priveleges for awhile.

So, like Vince said, make sure you know where you are going. There is very little access to open areas via the Rex--for good reason---that area has been getting hammered hard by hunters since they started the antlerless hunt in 2004. Your best bet by far is to go into the Little Delta, or Dry Creek area, across the Tanana, approaching from the north.