Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Car-a3

  1. #1
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Car-a3

    Purchased my first ever AR rifle! it has a flat top, Colt Accurized Rifle CAR.

    I need help on mounting a leupold scope with medium rings, should I have purchased extra high rings?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  2. #2
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Purchased my first ever AR rifle! it has a flat top, Colt Accurized Rifle CAR.

    I need help on mounting a leupold scope with medium rings, should I have purchased extra high rings?
    Great choise for a first AR! You can never go wrong with a Colt. For a flat top AR you do need extra high rings because the comb of the stock is above the line of the bore. Most manufacturers of "tactical" rings offer an AR version that is quite high. Good choice of a scope too. In addition to a pile of Leupolds on hunting rifles I have two Mark 4s on ARs and they are great. If you are looking to buy new rings check out Larue tactical. They make some really outstanding AR scope mounts.

  3. #3
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Great choise for a first AR! You can never go wrong with a Colt. For a flat top AR you do need extra high rings because the comb of the stock is above the line of the bore. Most manufacturers of "tactical" rings offer an AR version that is quite high. Good choice of a scope too. In addition to a pile of Leupolds on hunting rifles I have two Mark 4s on ARs and they are great. If you are looking to buy new rings check out Larue tactical. They make some really outstanding AR scope mounts.

    I should have been clear, I have an CAR-A3 coming, along with a AR Leupold 3-9x40 scope with metal med high rings, will the rings work with the flat top? or should I reoder the extra high ones? the CAR-A3 and components didnt arrive yet? I'm wondering what to order to moun the scope on the rifle that didnt get here yet.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  4. #4
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I should have been clear, I have an CAR-A3 coming, along with a AR Leupold 3-9x40 scope with metal med high rings, will the rings work with the flat top? or should I reoder the extra high ones? the CAR-A3 and components didnt arrive yet? I'm wondering what to order to moun the scope on the rifle that didnt get here yet.
    Get the extra high rings if you can. Still a great choice for rifle and optics. Enjoy, you will have no problems with a Colt.

  5. #5
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default extra high rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Get the extra high rings if you can. Still a great choice for rifle and optics. Enjoy, you will have no problems with a Colt.

    I'll order the extra high rings and send the meduims back, does this mean I will not need the bases for the scope?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  6. #6
    Member Chisana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I'll order the extra high rings and send the meduims back, does this mean I will not need the bases for the scope?
    The rail on the upper will serve as the base provided that the rings are compatible with a picatinny or 1913 milspec type rail. In other words, most extra high, tactical rings for an AR do not require a separate base for a flat top AR upper.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •