Thread: So when is your first trip of the year?

Default So when is your first trip of the year?

OK, I know you all have a plan in place already. So when is your first trip of the year on the water, and where will you be going?

Personally, I plan on going out Thursday afternoon, April 15th for the weekend to hit the shrimp on opening day with some friends to one of our favorite spots. If the weather is good, we may run down to the south side of Montague to see if there are some halibut around.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Ill probably be Heading out of Deshka landing for some general screwing around. Maybe set up a bait station. Hopefully be out the first part of May

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    OK, I know you all have a plan in place already. So when is your first trip of the year on the water, and where will you be going?

Personally, I plan on going out Thursday afternoon, April 15th for the weekend to hit the shrimp on opening day with some friends to one of our favorite spots. If the weather is good, we may run down to the south side of Montague to see if there are some halibut around.
    When you take me?

Signed,
    ~Boatless~

HA HA!

Have you tested the heater yet this winter??
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Talking pSffffftttt

Gonna have to beat me.
    Unless the tunnel is closed again
    Although I may go out in late March or when the bears come out.

Next weekend to Homer for Kings and Crab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    Next weekend to Homer for Kings and Crab.
    Go get'um buddy & remember to get some video for me I want to see that pot plugged with'em.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    When you take me?

Signed,
    ~Boatless~

HA HA!

Have you tested the heater yet this winter??

Derrick,

It's a maybe on the trip. I sent you an Email with some details.

Regarding the heater, I have used it a bit this winter. It takes a couple of hours but it warms up nicely to 70 in there. I added a CO sensor and it was nice to work in a warm boat. It seems to work down to about 10 degrees, at which point I think the diesel is gelling. One time when it was single digit I tried it and it would not light, but then it worked fine again when it was in the upper teens. This makes sense since I just have summer diesel with no additives.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Derrick,

It's a maybe on the trip. I sent you an Email with some details.

Regarding the heater, I have used it a bit this winter. It takes a couple of hours but it warms up nicely to 70 in there. I added a CO sensor and it was nice to work in a warm boat. It seems to work down to about 10 degrees, at which point I think the diesel is gelling. One time when it was single digit I tried it and it would not light, but then it worked fine again when it was in the upper teens. This makes sense since I just have summer diesel with no additives.
    We tested Spoiled One's heater a few weeks ago. I don't remember the temp outside but it was tee-shirt weather inside!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I plan on doing the same thing. Gonna leave the boat in whittier until may and then drive it around to Seward where our slip is. Can't wait for April
    Boatless

Default As soon as the Big Sue opens

Once the Big Sue opens Ill be on the water putting out a bait station.

planning for very end of April to set bait. about a week earlier than i usually set it out but work schedule causes it to happen earlier. hope to do some shrimping as well
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Valdez for some early shrimping - April 15th - (if the weather cooperates and lets me get out in my little boat).

I should be heading out about the same time depending on the ramp conditions in Whittier. There probably won't by much for parking either. Any predictions on when they clear the parking lot of snow? I still am eating last season's shrimp. I better make some room in the freezer!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I believe that I have gone out a couple of times pretty close to the opening, within a week or so. The ramps and roads are clear, but the parking lot has 10+ feet of snow in it and it has not been plowed, so you have to park down close to the boat ramps which they allow since there is no other option. It does get cold at night though. I remember breaking thorough a quater inch of ice in Ester Passage in the morning one year.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

For sure we'll be headed down to Homer for the last week of May as we booked one of the public use cabins in Halibut Cove Lagoon for a week.

I'm thinking work and some other things in the works will preclude me from getting out sooner, but I can always dream.

I'm hoping they have deals on shrimp pots at the sportsmans show in April, I need three more pots, and a puller.

I believe that I have gone out a couple of times pretty close to the opening, within a week or so. The ramps and roads are clear, but the parking lot has 10+ feet of snow in it and it has not been plowed, so you have to park down close to the boat ramps which they allow since there is no other option. It does get cold at night though. I remember breaking thorough a quater inch of ice in Ester Passage in the morning one year.
    I sea trialed Patience on April 14th or 15th and the ramp had 50' of ice on it we hooked two trucks together for the launch and retrieval. It worked well. You can see pictures of it here.

I am really looking forward to this season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Was out for new years on green island. One last deer for the year. Still some bears out on montague on the south eastside, still looks like summer. Havent put the boat away, going winter king fishing next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    For sure we'll be headed down to Homer for the last week of May as we booked one of the public use cabins in Halibut Cove Lagoon for a week.

I'm thinking work and some other things in the works will preclude me from getting out sooner, but I can always dream.

I'm hoping they have deals on shrimp pots at the sportsmans show in April, I need three more pots, and a puller.
    Stop by and say hello Paul, be nice to meet you I should be unveiling the new "alaskan"model electra dyne at the Wasilla show end of march.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692