Thread: Grundens Pullover for Rain gear

Default Grundens Pullover for Rain gear

I use this pullover mainly for fly fishing when I'm expecting a tough bushwack to the river or when I plan on getting bloody meat fishing in the salt. It is the softer PVC stretch material Grundens uses that is also lined with a very light micro fleece material. Though it's only a waist jacket, I got to wondering how it would do as a hunting rain jacket. It won't dry as fast as unlined PVC, but it's durable, quiet, 100% waterproof, has a generous hood and isn't as clammy as straight PVC. I might give it a go for spring bear first, but wonder if anyone else has given this material a go in the field? Maybe in conjunction with waders float hunting?

How much did that run you, Wyatt? I like the looks of that for a boat jacket. When out commercial fishing I wear the unlined jacket, but sometimes something a little more comfy would be nice while doing less labor-intensive jobs when I'm not going to get soaked to the bone. I imagine B&J carries those?

I think it was about $150 IIRC at Reddens! They also have one with a fleece torse (arms and shoulders are PVC) that was a bit more comfortable, but I figured being dry 100% of the time was more important than being comfortable 80% and miserable 20%!

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I think it was about $150 IIRC at Reddens! They also have one with a fleece torse (arms and shoulders are PVC) that was a bit more comfortable, but I figured being dry 100% of the time was more important than being comfortable 80% and miserable 20%!
    Thinking maybe you got that backward... The shoulders and upper torso are fleece, but they are 100% waterproof. I love mine and wear it all the time for all sorts of stuff. They vent poorly and for strenuous walking, climbing, packing, etc it would not be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Thinking maybe you got that backward... The shoulders and upper torso are fleece, but they are 100% waterproof. I love mine and wear it all the time for all sorts of stuff. They vent poorly and for strenuous walking, climbing, packing, etc it would not be a good choice.
    I've got the same style, agreed on the poor venting, but for camp chores, lounging by the fire, or rowing a raft, it is pretty skookum.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

hap

Hippie
    Absolutely! I love the pull-over for most everything fishing related...
    art

I've got both.
    Don't wear it bushwacking. That soft pvc will snag on anything and tear easily. Mine is patched many times with dental floss aquaseal and duck tape.

For pretty much anything other than strenuous hiking and bushwacking it rocks.

My grundens with the fleece upper is definitely NOT completely waterproof. Perhaps I got gyped.. dunno.

BTW.. 150$ wow. I payed 75 for mine in Ketchikan.