Thread: The Right Alaskan Duck Boat

Default The Right Alaskan Duck Boat

All,
    I am relocating to Anchorage. I've been duck hunting out of a 16' Xpress flat bottom side console Jon Boat with a 40hp Yamaha prop motor. Is it worthwhile bringing this rig to Anchorage for duck hunting or just a waste of time and money? Will a prop be useful or is it all jet boats? Thanks for any advice.

That is a tough call. The answer is, it depends. Not a bad boat for many of our waters, fishing speaking. Many of our rivers north of anchorage require that type of boat, and it would be easy to put a jet on when needed. Also depends on how much it will cost to get the boat up here. You may be better off selling it an buying a boat up here once you get things figured out. Personally, I own 3 boats. 2 for ducks and one for fish although one of my duck boats I use for fishing as well. You will find that no one boat is perfect as we have many different conditions. That being said, you boat will easily adapt to many of the conditions.

I don't duck hunt, but have been in the wrong boat a time or two. IMO -If it has low sides sell it and get one up here. If it has decent sides and you want to run the rivers and sloughs, get a jet or for extreme shallow a go-devil. If you want to fish the many lakes it should be fine even with the prop. If it is riveted remember that you will have to keep them tight. Sliding across rocks is hard on rivets. Make sure that the trailer is rock solid. Trailers take a beating up here. Carry spare parts.