Thread: Fish taxidermy

Default Fish taxidermy

I lucked into a big laker and wanted to get it mounted. The fishis 38" x18" the tail is 9" wide does anyone know of a good place to get it mounted with good prices.

ask 3 rivers who does there mounts they look real good. You gonna do a skin or fiberglass?

I am on a budget so i am not shore

Go with a replica. It will last you a lifetime.

replicas do last but IMO dont do the fish justice..

Give Russ Knight at Knight's Taxidermy a call at: 907 344-5501 www.knightstaxidermy.com

Mark Oslund is the best fish taxidermist I have seen. Check him out.

http://www.rltaxidermy.com/taxidermist.htm
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Another satisfied customer of Mark Oslund. He specializes in fish and his craftsmanship is EXCELLENT!

Ditto the last two.

Woodland Taxidermy did the nice Laker at 3-Rivers.

Default $20-$30 per inch

DON'T LET PRICE BE THE MAIN FACTOR! You will notice a range of prices, usually from $20-$30 an inch. Don't just go cheap. This is the fish of a lifetime, and you will only get the one chance to do it right, if you're getting a skin mount. Personally, I recommend a reproduction. Skin mounts have natural oils in the skin that seep through the paint, yellowing it over time and requiring that the mount be redone. Even with skin, the taxidermist still has to stretch it over a form to get the right proportions, and can and does occasionally screw up and return a shorter, thinner fish to you than the one you caught. The mounts in the Windbreak are a good example of this. Just remember, whoever does your mount for you, that you are going to be looking at that trout on your wall the rest of your life. You may get lucky with the lowest priced guy, and be able to congratulate yourself on saving $75, or you may be spending the rest of your life regretting not spending the extra $75-$150 to let an expert do the mount for you.

Woodland Taxidermy has done all the mounts in 3 Rivers; go on in there and take a look. Ask which are skin and which are fiberglass. Guess as to which are which, and see how often you're right. It will surprise you.
    If you're looking for skin, he only does fiberglass now. I would recommend Real Life taxidermy in Anchorage for skin.

Default Fish mounts

I have a friend in Wasilla that is trying to get his fish out there for people to see and is charging 15$ per inch. Yes this is cheap however his work is some of the best I have seen. He uses only the best reproduction forms available and can make a fish look like you just landed it. This price also includes a base of driftwood and rocks. If anyone is interested pm me and I will get you his contact info.

Default picture?

I was hoping to see a photo of the fish?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Mark Oslund is the best fish taxidermist I have seen. Check him out.

http://www.rltaxidermy.com/taxidermist.htm

He is the best.

Real Skin Mounts by Fish Art (Paul DeAngelo) will last a lifetime. They come with a LIFETIME Guarantee against aging. See at the Soldotna Sportsman Show this last weekend. Please check us out at www.deangelofishart.com
    We are on the Kenai the entire month of July - you can call us from the river and we will come to you (locally), skin your fish in 15 minutes and you will get all the meat ! For your Trophy Fish of a lifetime, doesn't it deserve the mount of a lifetime as well ?!!

Default Skin Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Go with a replica. It will last you a lifetime.
    Real Skin Mounts by Fish Art (Paul DeAngelo) will last a lifetime. They come with a LIFETIME Guarantee against aging. See at the Soldotna Sportsman Show this last weekend. Please check us out at www.deangelofishart.com
    We are on the Kenai the entire month of July - you can call us from the river and we will come to you (locally), skin your fish in 15 minutes and you will get all the meat ! For your Trophy Fish of a lifetime, doesn't it deserve the mount of a lifetime as well ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    He is the best.
    Paul DeAngelo of Fish Art is the best