Thread: like to hear from all yall hunting guides

Default like to hear from all yall hunting guides

like to hear what you carry with you on a hunt ? tools of the trade- rain wear,warm clothing,boots? thanks figured yall would pic n choose yall equipment an clothing like i would choose tools to work with .fancy , name brand are not all ways best .thanks again

Default gear

good raingear (helly hanson is good) I wear a lot of wool clothing. Optics... dont skimp here Leica,Swavorski or zeiss are all good. If you are hunting for sheep/goats or anything where you will be climbing/hiking a lot Limmer boots are the best ever made and will last for years. Good lacrosse rubber boots for everything else. a leatherman is a must as is the new havalon knife. Everyone is different and you will learn to take what is right for you but this is a good starting point. Whatever you do remember to pack light, planes will get you there most often and to much gear is a pain!

I would go to value village & Salvation Army store, and buy clothing for .50 cents for shirts, and $1.25 for pants. It gets soaked in blood day after day, after day anyway. With Just spit-baths from Aug. 6th to Oct.22nd why take pretty cloths. And if I look like a rag-muffin, and happen to admire a hunters jacket, or sleeping bag, the hunters will offer their clothing when they leave. Ground'pounding guides work hard, and clothing gets ripped, cut, burned. I bought the best sock, boots, Gloves, pack, optics.......... in truth, a guides firearm could be cheap (but reliable) butt'ugly junk.

Default thats what i thought.thx

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I would go to value village & Salvation Army store, and buy clothing for .50 cents for shirts, and $1.25 for pants. It gets soaked in blood day after day, after day anyway. With Just spit-baths from Aug. 6th to Oct.22nd why take pretty cloths. And if I look like a rag-muffin, and happen to admire a hunters jacket, or sleeping bag, the hunters will offer their clothing when they leave. Ground'pounding guides work hard, and clothing gets ripped, cut, burned. I bought the best sock, boots, Gloves, pack, optics.......... in truth, a guides firearm could be cheap (but reliable) butt'ugly junk.
    lol your not from north east alabama.lol

a few key things that i've started using thats changed things for me..

havalon knives...won't leave home without one or two.
    merino wool baselayers...won't wear synthetics anymore.
    RUBBER rain gear..i have some sitka stuff and it hasn't impressed me..got a good deal on it and wanted to try it out.
    thermacell bug deterant...it works. good.
    a 90-100cm walking axe for sheep/goat hunts, won't do one without one now...
    real food...unless i'm on a sheep or goat hunt we eat real homemade food, makes a huge difference, its all organic and helps alot over just mac and cheese, baked bean kinda stuff.

theres all the other stuff that gets used and there are a pile of different things that will work fine, just preferance is all, ie footware, guns, optics, and all that. but that was a short list of some things that have really changed or made an impact.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I AGREE with the real food part, it sure makes a difference in the end of the day, and helping the body recover.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default tools,gear,apparel and stuff

I take an Otis cable type bore rod, pads and brush instead of a boring rod and oil ( need this in case dirt happens to get in the barrel) it rolls up real small, I also have made up a tool that has the two size allen wrench and flat tip and cross tip, (for scope and rings etc) got a friend that machined it for me like a tiny four point lug wrench, ( so small u can cup it in your hand)
    I wear arteryx gamma pants, sporthill fusion shirt, thermals (base layers) are either Xgo's or patagonia capilene, and "Darn tough" socks. and sitka celcius and nimbus rain jacket,and Lowa boots.
    1 pocket rocket w/ two canisters and "GSI Outdoors" cook pot. two plastic gatorade bottles (one 32 Oz, and one 16 oz) and one platypus water bag.
    Thermarest (closed cell foam) 3/4 length pad.(9 oz.) and Wiggys glacier bag.
    two black diamond trekking poles.

Default thanks yall

helps alot -dagum over whelmed with all the stuff .figured all yall that work for a liven hunting n fishing /guiden .would be the place to get the straight. thx keep um coming. hope when i get my stuff bought up.it will be very usable,durable..because ill be able to buy it once not much tryel n air.wive is on me good about going to alaska .she probly will stay in alabama .will see thanks again for all yalls ideas n help.

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default HUH!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I take an Otis cable type bore rod, pads and brush instead of a boring rod and oil ( need this in case dirt happens to get in the barrel) it rolls up real small, I also have made up a tool that has the two size allen wrench and flat tip and cross tip, (for scope and rings etc) got a friend that machined it for me like a tiny four point lug wrench, ( so small u can cup it in your hand)
    I wear arteryx gamma pants, sporthill fusion shirt, thermals (base layers) are either Xgo's or patagonia capilene, and "Darn tough" socks. and sitka celcius and nimbus rain jacket,and Lowa boots.
    1 pocket rocket w/ two canisters and "GSI Outdoors" cook pot. two plastic gatorade bottles (one 32 Oz, and one 16 oz) and one platypus water bag.
    Thermarest (closed cell foam) 3/4 length pad.(9 oz.) and Wiggys glacier bag.
    two black diamond trekking poles.
    LOL, Sorry, it just seemed funny reading it. It's like a foreign language

Default another ?

im starting feet up on gear - what hiking boots /mountain goat huntin ?do yall were ?thanks

alaska hunters by miendel...but lookin' at going to the scarpa plastics...i do alot of sidehilling on my goat hunts.
    Master guide 212

Default Boots

BRWNBR, like these boots? Wool socks all the time or depends on the weather?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

ya those are the boots.
    i wear liner socks with thick wools all the time.
    best thing i've done is pull the insole out and replace it with a black/grey felt insole...that way you can take those out every night toss them in your sleeping bag and have warm dry footbed each morning..more coushin too. the soles are hard in these boots. but very rigid and great support.
    Master guide 212