Thread: Need local gunsmith for adding iron sights to a plain barrel

Default Need local gunsmith for adding iron sights to a plain barrel

I just bought a Winchester featherweight model 70 300WSM. Every hunting rifle of mine wears iron sights. I just bought this one and it too needs a backup set of irons. I bought the factory iron sights from Winchester today ($105.00). Now I'm looking at having them installed by a competent gunsmith. Barrel will beed to be drilled and tapped for these as it has no pre drilled holes. Do you guys recommend anyone locally? About the only smith I know is Wild West Guns.

Thanks Billy

I recommend Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms. 1 block north of Dimond on Old Seward on the right next to the Wiggy's store. He's a good guy and does good work.

Hi bring it by, I give discounts to Board guys

Default Take it to WWG

Wild West Guns has always done right be me. If you are a sensitive metrosexual type then take it somewhere else!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    I recommend Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms. \
    I'll second this suggestion.

Default AK Custom Firearms

I'd go with Steve also.

Only thought I have is that going with a band front sight - like Ruger uses - is a better bet on a light weight barrel. They cost more but save the cost of two drilled holes or sweating the sight base on the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    I recommend Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms. 1 block north of Dimond on Old Seward on the right next to the Wiggy's store. He's a good guy and does good work.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if they make a set of banded sites that are matte silver or similar for stainless rifles?

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Hi bring it by, I give discounts to Board guys
    That's good to know - I will be doing the same thing with a couple of my rifles.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

If you need a stainless band style front you can just buy a stainless one from Ruger and ream it to the correct inside dia. or get a NECG and have it Matte hard chrome plated, a little spendy but it works nicely. Then mount your favorite rear to match.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

To answer your question, Andy Hawk at Hawks Gunsmithing here in Anchorage.

Good Luck,

Matt M

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Wild West Guns has always done right be me. If you are a sensitive metrosexual type then take it somewhere else!

Ed

We just hired a guy to handle the sensitive metrosexual types...ask for Hans

You guys got my business. Will drop off when I get back home. Thanks for the replies.
    Billy

Default Wild West Guns A+

I just picked up my rifle on Friday from Wild West Guns (2 week turn around) and my hat is off to them guys/girls down there. You guys didn't only install the factory irons perfectly but you could have charged me something...... I don't know if being in uniform helped or what but thanks. You guys are awesome. Your customer service and quality of work is top notch, you will always have my business. You guys defenitely make up for having a hard as hell address to find. Any chance of getting some large or xl t shirts in?

Thanks again Billy

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I just picked up my rifle on Friday from Wild West Guns (2 week turn around) and my hat is off to them guys/girls down there. You guys didn't only install the factory irons perfectly but you could have charged me something...... I don't know if being in uniform helped or what but thanks. You guys are awesome. Your customer service and quality of work is top notch, you will always have my business. You guys defenitely make up for having a hard as hell address to find. Any chance of getting some large or xl t shirts in?

Thanks again Billy
    We support our troops. All of our girls have husbands in the military or have been in the military themselves.

No as to Tshirts, for the XL, do you want the ones with the built in man boob support or without

I'll pass on those please, a L or XL will work though.