Thread: 4350 in a 223?

Default 4350 in a 223?

I know there are better powder out there but was wondering if anyone has any experience. Got a couple pounds of Accurate 4350 and some 70 grain tsx's i was going to try this combo with. Haven't had any luck finding data anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Data

4350 is probably a tad slow burning in the .223. You might search for light bullet loads using that powder, as there are loads for the 50 grain bullet. Reduce the charge by 15% and then work back up watching for pressure signs until happy.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I think you'll find 4350 is too slow for the .223. Even with the 80 gr bullets Varget, RL 15 and similar burn rate powders are the best choice.

I'd contact Accurate to get a suggested starting load. I can't imagine you'd be able to get enough of it in a .223 to cause pressure problems. What you'll probably see is that the loads are so mild that the case neck doesn't expand to seal the chamber and you get sooty fired cases.

Why waste a great powder like 4350 for a ctg the size of a .223 Remington when it is such a great and well proven powder for a whole bunch of bigger capacity cases. It is my main powder of choice for a large number of ctgs. Go buy some Varget or any other powder that is made for that size of case and bore capacity. I buy kegs of 4350 because is is so dern great for big bore and bigger case capacity ctg. There are just so many other good to great powders for your .223 Remington, why waste your time on a powder that is great in other cases?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I'll pick up something better as there is some powder now available.

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    I'll pick up something better as there is some powder now available.

Wise move on your part. With Boondockers as your next door neighbor, you should be on a first name basis anyway. Powder would only be a matter of ordering and prepaying and waiting anyway. However you need to be on a good first name basis with the guys at the Sportsman Warehouse for Kegs.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I worked up a load for a 223 last week. I tried 5 or 6 different powders and about that many different bullets. This gun would not stabilize the heavy bullets. The best combo I found for this gun was a 40 gr. Nosler balistic Tip pushed by IMR 4198 powder. It shot about 3/4 inch group on average, however it did have a couple groups around 1/2 inch. The next best powder that I tested was Varget again with 40 gr. Nosler BT. This was under 1 inch but not as tight a group as the IMR 4198.

I got to try the first load out on a red fox the day after I got the gun sighted in. I had the fox facing me and the bullet never exited. Fox did not move. Least amount of fur damage I have ever had. Can't wait until I get a broadside shot at something to see if bullet will stay inside animal. If so this will be a good load to call preadators with.

I forgot to mention that I was shooting a New England 223, And I was shooting a max load of 23.0 grains of IMR 4198.

I tried 4831 one time and it worked as poorly as I expected. Both 4350 and 4831 are way to slow. Imr 4198 is my powder of choice with 21.5grs and a match 52gr HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I worked up a load for a 223 last week. I tried 5 or 6 different powders and about that many different bullets. This gun would not stabilize the heavy bullets. The best combo I found for this gun was a 40 gr. Nosler balistic Tip pushed by IMR 4198 powder. It shot about 3/4 inch group on average, however it did have a couple groups around 1/2 inch. The next best powder that I tested was Varget again with 40 gr. Nosler BT. This was under 1 inch but not as tight a group as the IMR 4198.

I got to try the first load out on a red fox the day after I got the gun sighted in. I had the fox facing me and the bullet never exited. Fox did not move. Least amount of fur damage I have ever had. Can't wait until I get a broadside shot at something to see if bullet will stay inside animal. If so this will be a good load to call preadators with.

I forgot to mention that I was shooting a New England 223, And I was shooting a max load of 23.0 grains of IMR 4198.

Looks like you have a twist problem rear it's ugly head. This is why it's best to have a one in 14 twist for your 52-55 grain bullets at least that's what works for me even in cold weather. I use my one in 8 or one in 9 twist barrels for the heavy weight in the .223 Remington loads up to the 80 grain pills, works even down to -20. After that it just gets my too cold to screw around nod.

I have an nef 223, and with 26gr H-335 under a 50 gr, or 25 gr H-335 under a 55 gr bullet it'll print 1" for 3 shots. Not bad for iron sights.

The slowest powder I've used in the .223 is RL-15. It worked fairly well, but it's considerably faster than the 4350's.

However, my "go-to powders" for this caliber have been faster burning than even RL-15. I primarily use H-335, W748 and Varget.

Doc