Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 325WSM

Default Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 325WSM

Been eyeing one of the new Winchester's Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in .325 WSM. Really like the looks of it, the 3 position safety, CRF thoughts??? Anyone handled or shot the new rifles coming out of the SC plant??

Steve

I had a similar question awhile back. Got several opinions here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=New+model+70

I haven't shot them, but handled a few in the stores. I was impressed. I like their new synthetic stock, and the fact that they shaved some weight off the SS model made in New Haven. I don't think you'd go wrong buying one. I just wish they would make it in .375 again.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I haven't shot them, but handled a few in the stores. I was impressed. I like their new synthetic stock, and the fact that they shaved some weight off the SS model made in New Haven. I don't think you'd go wrong buying one. I just wish they would make it in .375 again.

I keep waiting for them to release one in .375 H&H a well. I am sure they will but who knows when?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Smile Wild horses and woman

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Been eyeing one of the new Winchester's Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in .325 WSM. Really like the looks of it, the 3 position safety, CRF thoughts??? Anyone handled or shot the new rifles coming out of the SC plant??

Steve
    Steve ,
    I just bought one in a 300WSM and mounted a new 3X9 Leupold on it. While I have yet to shoot it I can tell you in my opinion this is one of the best model 70’s I have owned. I have a couple of customs rifles on the 70 action from several well known rifle makers in the states and for the money this production rifle is of great value. I personally feel it may take on Kimber head on and I have several of their rifles. Their new stock is a huge improvement over the old plastic deal. Check it out I think you will be impressed.
    Montana

I just picked up a new mod 70 Featherweight in .325 WSM last night. Still deciding on a scope. Love the feel of the gun and i'm impressed with the fit/finish, though my eyes aren't what they once were.

i will say, i've been to 3 stores in two days and found no dies, brass, bullets, or primers... I've ordered the brass and dies online. I will be hitting the stores a lot for the next few weeks. :-)

I do reload and know the factory offerings for it are limited. I started to buy a Kimber Montana in 325WSM, but have stayed away from the Montana's since I got a lemon in 270WSM. I went to town today and handled one, I must say that I like it, almost brought it home. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, that would look good on it. Would make a nice spring bear gun on the salt... I almost have myself talked into it.

Steve

Smile Kimbers

I do reload and know the factory offerings for it are limited. I started to buy a Kimber Montana in 325WSM, but have stayed away from the Montana's since I got a lemon in 270WSM. I went to town today and handled one, I must say that I like it, almost brought it home. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, that would look good on it. Would make a nice spring bear gun on the salt... I almost have myself talked into it.

Steve
    Steve,
    I also have a 270 WSM in the Kimber - mine cycle’s ammo through with out any issues and shoots fair. I also was going to go with the Kimber in the 300WSM but backed away and picked up the Winchester after several individuals I know had issues with their Kimbers - two of which where in the 308 caliber.
    Montana

Steve
    Seems like Frontier has a Montana in .325. I was looking at it, but just couldn't rationalize the extra cash over what i paid. Sure a nice gun though. I have been looking for components around town and have found NONE so i've ordered brass, dies and am still looking for bullets.

Maybe a loading party will be in order! lol

good luck!

steve

1Bubu, You do know that .325 and 8mm are the same bullet right??? I have saw a few 8mm bullets around. Have not looked in a few weeks and don't mean to insult you, some don't know.

Steve

1Bubu, You do know that .325 and 8mm are the same bullet right??? I have saw a few 8mm bullets around. Have not looked in a few weeks and don't mean to insult you, some don't know.

Steve
    Steve,
    yeah, knew that. i'm pickey... lol

I did see some too, but there are a couple in particular i'm looking for. I'm looking mostly for the 200/220 grain in Nosler's. I've never messed with the Barns and the other premium brands. Might try them later though. Since I'm not going shooting until it warms up, I can wait. :-)

steve

Smile the trigger...

The ones I looked at were good looking rifles. I have never shot one but suspect they will work fine as the basic rifle is a proven performer as long as the factory has good quality control. My gripe is with the new trigger. I wish they had not replaced what was the best feature of the Mod. 70, the trigger. It was a tough, reliable, easy to clean and adjust hunting trigger. It seems like some think the main criteria for a trigger is a crisp and light break. I am all for that, as long as reliability and simplicity are not compromised. All to often factories and after market trigger makers try and achieve this with little springs in an enclosed trigger housing that traps oil, grease, dirt, crud, ice, etc. No thanks. I want to be able to field strip the bolt with out tools and rinse the rifle off in a creek if needed. I can do that if needed with my "older" Mod. 70's. Still, they look good and since I am a big Mod. 70 fan I am glad they are being made again.

Steve,

You thinking of replacing the Benelli as your primary hunting firearm? You bucked conventional wisdom by with a semi-auto and I admired that. Every time I considered getting the Benelli I always came across your posts on the forum that had nothing but good things to say about it. Has the fondness worn off? I thought you shot the Benelli because of the reduced recoil, maybe from an injury if I remember correctly.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Kay9Cop,

Still got my trusty R-1, Lets just say that I have learned much since I have been hunting here. I'm going back to the peninsula fall 2011 and I have my sights set on a big bear. Thinking that I might need a little more fire power. I was a bow hunter before I moved here, so I had very little experience with hunting rifles. I made the mistake of trying to shoot a .338 that was not setup right and it hurt me, made me recoil shy. I have found ways to manage recoil and have since discovered that each rifle is different and porting and brakes can make a huge difference. The only draw back to my Benelli R-1 is that it is a lot heavier than a bolt gun. But like the OLE Duck hunter on TV says when ask what he likes best about his Benelli, "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.
    Anyway, can a person have too many guns??? Variety is the spice of life.....

Steve

Had to have it, went and got my spring bear starter kit. Got the rifle, scope, powder, bullets, and primers. Need to call Talley tomorrow and order the rings and bases. Ordered the dies, brass, and a box each of Nosler 200 grain Accubonds and Partitions. Going to start with the RL15 and a 200 grain Barnes TSX. Really like the fit and finish, feeds smooth as silk, trigger feels good as well. The Bell Carlson stock feels good in the hands and I favor the Monte Carlo Style stock. The balance feels right, have to see once the scope is mounted. Will do a range report after I get it together. Plus Frontier gave me 5% off for a military discount and they had some powder and bullets.

Steve

Congrats!
    That's one nice looking rifle. I would love to hear what you work up with the Barnes. I've never shot any of them. My first loads will be the Accubond 220 w/ 4550 and 4007 ssc. Then the 200's. I've always had good luck with Noslers.

Have my brass and dies and a couple # of powder in hand... Now just need to get by Frontier at the right time to pick up some powder and bullets.

Nice looking set up. I have been looking at those on line for a while now - Interested to see how you like it once you have shot it. Been thinking that would be the way to go for my daughter in 30-06.

Was playing with my new rifle. Really like the feel and balance, however the trigger was a little on the stiff side for me. I measured it at 4.5lbs of pull, I like mine to break just over 3lbs. I removed the action from the stock, I could see that it was nicely bedded in the stock. The stock weighs 2lbs with the recoil pad. I cleaned off the factory seal on the adjustment screws and found the trigger very user friendly to adjust. At just over 3lbs the trigger broke nice and clean.

Factory Seal

All done, I did clean off the extra lock tight.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Nice looking set up. I have been looking at those on line for a while now - Interested to see how you like it once you have shot it. Been thinking that would be the way to go for my daughter in 30-06.
    I picked one up in 30-06 for myself and love it! My first rifle was a 1965 M70 my gramps gave me (still have it) but I wanted something a tad hardier with CRF for moose hunts and the like. It shoots better than my old 30-06, but I actually like the old trigger better. Seems to have a cleaner break. I also like my trigger pull at 3# and had to adjust mine.

TK

Congrats on the purchase of a fine rifle. You going to drop a bear with it this spring?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast