Thread: Ice Fishing for the 1st Time, Need Advice!

Default Ice Fishing for the 1st Time, Need Advice!

Ok, so Sunday I went ice fishing for the 1st time. I'm from Virginia where ice fishing doesn't exist (no ice), and few trout. I'm a largemouth bass fisherman, and I could definately use some advice. I went out to Mirror Lake, and fished for about 4 hours with a single bite on a salmon egg, but no fish to show for it. I learned later that I arrived at the lake the day after a kids fishing derby, so I doubt that helped the situation. I live in Eagle River, and would like to find a lake nearby so my wife and I could catch a few trout. Any advice, tips, baits, depths, anything? Thanks!

Read all the posts in the icefishing section. Great info. Get a map of the area. Write down what you find out beside the lakes. Mirror Lake is not known for big fish. Just stockers. You will need to travel farther.

Shrimp is usually good for ice fishing in the valley.

Mike

Right now I'd settle for stockers, its better then nothing, and atleast kep my wife happy. Might try fire lake, as its very close sunday, not a lot of options around me. I'm not expecting much there though, with the pike and lack of stocking there

Mrpokey,

Since you and your wife are fresh folks to the ice fishing world.....I have an offer for you and your wife. I will take the both of you on a remote multi-day ice fishing trip if you are interested. I will leave on friday around noon time, and haul my custom insulated portable to my secret hole and set it up so that it is ready to accomodate you and your wife. I have been ice fishing for many many years and i'm heavily into it. I have two utility machines so you can have the oppurtunity to have a complete expedition learning experience. The reason that I offer this to you is because you are married and your wife n you share the outdoors together but you obviously don't know where to begin. This is a very productive and exciting trip and would give you the tools and knowledge you need for successfull ice fishing for years to come. If you are interested.....PM me your phone # and we will further discuss the trip. I feel that if I properly introduce you to the ice fishing world.....you and your wife will share smiles for years to come.

Drive to the valley and hit up Finger lake. You and your wife will have a grand time catching stocked salmon. There are also quite a few rainbows and some nice Arctic Char. Where I will not point out though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default not cool

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Drive to the valley and hit up Finger lake. You and your wife will have a grand time catching stocked salmon. There are also quite a few rainbows and some nice Arctic Char. Where I will not point out though.

these folks are fresh.....pull out your graciousness dude. I believe i sharred a very productive spot with you via pm......why would you not feel inclined to do the same? but's it's ok......i gotcha covered. I guess I get giddy bout married folks sharring the outdoors together and these two folks need to have a blast so that they can learn the ropes for when they venture out on their own as a family.

Very nice offer for the Cheechakos mainer. When I first arrived in Alaska back in 1973 I was lucky enough to have a soldier from Ft. Wainwright show me how to cast a fly with a flyrod. I in turn showed him where and how to catch burbot which were underutilized back in those days here in the Interior.

PM sent to mainer_in_ak, Thanks!

To everyone else, I'm not looking for everyones best hole on their favorite lake, just a lake where my wife and I can catch trout, even 6 - 8 inch stockers. My wife enjoys fishing but only when the fish as hitting, I on the other end just enjoy fishing, wether I get fish or not. Though it is nice to know your at least doing the right things in the right places. So far, like I said I've tried ice fishing once, I went to Mirror lake, I baited my wifes rod with a #10 hook with a salmon egg ,and a split shot about a foot up the line. I started out jigging a sweedish pimple, because I had read on various forums that was a productive/popular thing to do, after about 45 minutes of nothing on it, I also switched over to the salmon eggs, and watched my rod for 3 hours, just for 1 bite, and no fish. I live in Eagle River and was hoping to find a nearby lake, so my wife and I could catch a few fish, without spending the day driving, and such. I just moved here 2 months ago from Virginia, and I'm used to catching largemouth bass, crappie, perch, pickeral, bluegill, catfish, etc. My only experience with trout has been in Tennessee, fishing a small weekly stocked river for rainbow trout. I'd like to be able to have my wife catch some fish and hopefully get her more into the outdoors. Thanks!

IMO - The trout up here taste nasty. Go for pike, dollies, burbot and lakers.

Google Earth is your friend.

Eagle River is 30 minutes from anything and 30 minutes from everything. You will need to drive to ice fish. I drive 3.5 to 4 hours.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    IMO - The trout up here taste nasty. Go for pike, dollies, burbot and lakers.

Google Earth is your friend.

Eagle River is 30 minutes from anything and 30 minutes from everything. You will need to drive to ice fish. I drive 3.5 to 4 hours.

Mike

where in the world are you going for that long? or do you drive 25 mph?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    where in the world are you going for that long? or do you drive 25 mph?
    I drive 65 but, I have bladder problems and have to stop every 5-10 miles or so. Then I have to stop at Eureka for a piece of pie and a pot of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I drive 65 but, I have bladder problems and have to stop every 5-10 miles or so. Then I have to stop at Eureka for a piece of pie and a pot of coffee.
    wow you sound like hte perfect ice fishing partner for me.
    Semper Fi!

"not far" in Alaska is a very relative term. In this area, "not far" is anywhere within an hour of you. There are a couple lakes on Ft. Rich and Elmendorf that are good. Loberg Lake, the one right across from Valley Hospital, and any lake within the Kepler=Bradley complex are also good bets. Go here for the Fish and Game stocking data and maps of all the lakes in both this area and around the state.