Thread: Indoor Trees

Default Indoor Trees

Anyone here keep fruit trees inside? I know some folks who keep a small, pruned lemon tree inside and it doesn't take up much room. They had 4 lemons on it at Christmas which got me thinking,... could I grow a mandarine orange tree inside. I ate an orange, put the seeds in soil and have been watching it for the last two and a half weeks- nothing yet. Can this be done?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I've never tried this but I found this, I hope it helps.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...ead.php?t=6602

Also you might try peeling the seed and soaking it in water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7XAoUw5fQ
    That's what she said...

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

I have successfully grown dwarf fruit trees inside while I was in Asia. The Dwarf Fuji Apple Trees I had to bring outside for a couple of months so to include a cold weather period in their yearly cycle. The Citrus Trees were of Chinese Varieties. I had used what are called Finger Banana Trees forBananas.

You could try growing a super-dwarf peach tree in a pot 24-inch-wide with drainage holes in the bottom. Keep it moist, well fertilized, and in a sunny window during the growing season. If your tree doesn't bear fruit the first year, give it time. It may need another year or two to start its career. During winter in cold climates, store the tree, tub and all, in a cool but protected location.

I think maybe the site below may be of help.

The following is from this site:
    http://www.gardenguides.com/94519-pa...ing-trees.html

"Check with your nursery for growing recommendations, planting depths and suggested container sizes based on the varieties you choose.
    Apple

For container culture or a foundation planting, consider the "colonnade" form, a branchless tree bearing regular-size apples. Plant at least two of any of the varieties available in the columnar form---or pair an apple with a crabapple, which makes wonderful jelly and provides natural pectin for other fruit preserves. Dwarf apple trees will fit in most patio gardens, as long as you provide a deep, well-tilled growing hole to get it off to a good start. Virtually all apple varieties, from Golden Delicious to Fuji to the traditional Winesap, are now available in dwarf form and grow no taller than 8 to 10 feet. Make sure you have room for at least two dwarf apple trees, or one dwarf and one miniature variety, for cross pollination. Some nurseries even offer "step-overs"--a foot-high variety meant to be trained espalier-style along pathways or to frame a patio or terrace.
    Banana

Choose a container-friendly plant like Dwarf Cavendish, and you'll harvest small, 4- to 6-inch bananas on a small tree with tropical leaves. Dwarf bananas grow to about 3 feet. Bring the tree inside for the winter in colder climates.
    Fig

Many fig varieties grow nicely in containers or in small spaces. Look for hardy varieties such as Brown Turkey, or bring the figs inside during winter in colder climates. Figs planted in the ground can be protected with burlap in colder climates. Follow the nursery's pruning recommendations to keep the figs to the height and spread best suited to your patio. The trees make a decorative statement, with their twisting, spreading habit and glossy leaves, while the brown, elongated, chewy brown fruit beats any store-bought fig cookie.
    Lemon

The gourmet dwarf version of the Meyer lemon works especially well in containers. The plant's 8-foot height can be contained in a patio pot, or controlled with pruning. The trees even produce lemons indoors during the colder months.
    Lime

Another tropical fruit well-suited to pot culture, key lime, thrives on the patio. Keep the 6-foot tree smaller through pruning, if desired. The small limes produce quantities of the famous key lime juice, while the tree itself bears fragrant white flowers in the spring. Bring the tree inside for the winter in colder climates.
    Nectarine

Miniature nectarine trees grow well in containers or in small garden beds on the patio. Protect them with burlap in the winter if you live north of zone 5. The 4- to 6-foot trees bear regular-size nectarines. Nurseries also offer dwarf nectarines, which grow no taller than 10 feet and are hardy zones 5 through 8 or 9, depending on the variety.
    Peach

Like miniature nectarine trees, miniature peaches bear the same size fruits as the larger trees. They fit in containers or small patio gardens, and need protection north of zone 5. Or, grow the columnar form, a branchless form that produces full-size fruit and looks handsome against a foundation, framing the boundary of a patio or in a container.
    Naturally Small Trees
    Several fruit trees, though unavailable in true miniature or dwarf forms, make suitable trees for the slightly larger patio, or next to one. Some varieties of cherry, persimmon and mulberry, and most pawpaws and quince trees, stay within the 12 to 15 foot range. Grow them in the center of a patio as an elegant alternative to a shade umbrella, or on the south-facing edge of the patio. Just be aware that mulberries tend to stain when the fruit drops, so avoid planting them if your patio contains elegant slate or brickwork."

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. My two mandarine orange trees have grown two leaves apiece and are about 2 inches high... and have been that way for 3 weeks now. It's like they just stopped growing. They look green and healthy but don't seem to be making any upward progress. They are both in a 3 quart pot (roughly) Any ideas?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    Thanks for the info. My two mandarine orange trees have grown two leaves apiece and are about 2 inches high... and have been that way for 3 weeks now. It's like they just stopped growing. They look green and healthy but don't seem to be making any upward progress. They are both in a 3 quart pot (roughly) Any ideas?
    Just have to have patience. Many of the Dwarf Trees I have had in the past did the same thing. Here are a few sites that may help you out:

Growing Dwarf Citrus Trees in the Home
    Dwarf citrus trees such as oranges, lemons, and limes are living conversation pieces. ... Dwarf citrus trees are well adapted to container growing indoors. ...
    www.thegardenhelper.com/dwarfcitrus.html - 12k - Cached

Growing Dwarf Citrus Trees Indoors, Part 1 | DoItYourself.com
    You can grow your own citrus fruit indoors and even in cold climates with dwarf citrus trees.
    www.doityourself.com/stry/startwithfruittrees - 46k - Cached

Growing Fruit Trees Indoors : Landscaping : Home & Garden ...
    Growing dwarf fruit trees indoors can add a lively touch of freshness, color and fragrance to your indoor setting.
    hgtv.com/landscaping/growing-fruit-trees-indoors/index.html - 79k - Cached

10 Tips on Growing Dwarf Fruit Trees
    There are various sizes of dwarf trees, from some small enough to grow in box planters, up to "semi-dwarfs" about two-thirds as tall as...
    hubpages.com/hub/10-Tips-on-Growing-Dwarf-Fruit-Trees - 36k - Cached

Bonsai Empire

Learn all about growing Bonsai trees! With propagation, styling and care guides. Includes ... the art of pun-sai'; using special techniques to growdwarf trees in containers. ...
    www.bonsaiempire.com - 16k - Cached

Hope this helps.

Awesome links, thanks!