Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, who's built thier own "Log" cabin?

Default Ok, who's built thier own "Log" cabin?

Who's built their own???

Talking Bork...

You truly my inspiration I saw you when you first posted X amount of years ago! Thanks!

OBTW anyone with a log scriber they wanna part with???

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Question for Bork

I couldn't help notice, when building your outhouse, did you ever reinforce the pit to keep it from caving in? I know that sometimes people don't and when the ground gets wet from rain they have a tendency to cave in.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    you truly my inspiration i saw you when you first posted x amount of years ago! Thanks!

Obtw anyone with a log scriber they wanna part with???
    maybe... What you got to trade..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

alaskabushrat...we didn't reinforce the pit at all. The ground was VERY rocky and dry. We haven't had a problem yet with it, hadn't thought about it though.

Default Great Job!

Bork,

Great looking cabin; I really enjoyed looking at your woodworking abilities!

It looks as though your dedication will pay off for many years to come.

Thank you for sharing!

Bgarcher

Get a lee valley catalog. I get all my log tools from them you'll be glad you did.

Default Hi Again

I really enjoyed looking through all your pictures and reading the commentaries. One thing I admire is, that you have a good woman who stuck by you, chipped in and enjoys that kind of living. They are few and far between. I'm 62 and I haven't been able to find a woman like that. Have fun.

Thumbs up Everyone's Dream

Dont forget Dick Prenneke "One Man's Wilderness". He has an awesome book out and a great movie too. I would like to live like he did for a year or so to give it a good test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Dont forget Dick Prenneke "One Man's Wilderness". He has an awesome book out and a great movie too. I would like to live like he did for a year or so to give it a good test drive.
    +1 - I've read his book, seen the movie and I'm currently reading his second book, which is a compilation of his journals from 1974 to 1980.

He was quite the craftsman to turn out that cabin using only hand tools.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Dick

He was a friend of mine up to his passing. I only live a short ways from his place and use to visit him. He sure was a hell of a man. Out of all my neighbors, he was the one I enjoyed most visiting. We never talked politics or religion. We would just discuss how lucky we are to be living the lifestyle we do.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    He was a friend of mine up to his passing. I only live a short ways from his place and use to visit him. He sure was a hell of a man. Out of all my neighbors, he was the one I enjoyed most visiting. We never talked politics or religion. We would just discuss how lucky we are to be living the lifestyle we do.
    He inspired a lot of people. It's interesting to read his journals. It seemed he was disappointed in all the "fame" his first book and the movie generated. He really wasn't alone all that often at Twin Lakes. He had company a lot. It seemed he was happiest when he was alone, or when visiting with his closest friends. It must have been a honor to know him, akbushrat.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default how cool is that?!

Bork,

I stumbled onto your site the other day, when I was searching for moose antler mounting information. While there I spent hours reading your site,
    to the point I had to save to favorites so I could finish reading more over
    the course of the next few days.

Today I saw the title of this thread, and immediately went to my favorites button, clicked on it, found the URL and had it ready to paste to this thread.
    However, upon reading all of the replies, much to my surprise you are a poster!!!!!

You and your wife have done so many amazing things, and both are certainly an inspiration to me. Keep all the good stories coming!

My Dad introduced me to Dick Prenneke's movie years ago, and ironically I stumbled across the DVD about a week ago when I was doing some winter cleaning in my den. I don't care how many times I watch it, the darn thing sucks me right in and I can't break away.

Obviously, he was very skilled, but I was equally impressed by his work ethic. Seems like he got a lot done in a relatively short period of time.

Bork, thanks for the link. I've just begun the tour.

...here's a few pictures from when we built our cabin up on the Westfork of the Chena,a little NE of Fairbanks-
    -we lived in the 8x10 wall tent for 7 1/2 months while building...
    -lived out there only a few years, until the Westfork fire in '02; then, came down to Seward-

-lots of good memories; I miss it out there...
    -the boys were 2 and 4, with one on the way...Jed was born out there (in a neighbor's kitchen-lol-)while we were still building-

-I helped peel a lot of the logs....but, kept mostly busy with feeding the Yukon stove, constantly heating water for cooking, the wash tub, bath water,dog cooker, llamas,etc...we hauled rocks from the river for the sill logs to set on; used an adz to form the poles for the floor;set up a gin pole rigged up on a birch tree, to raise the logs. -the neighbors helped mill boards for our roof with their set-up;
    ....16'x 16', with a modest loft....
    -used oil lamps, barrel stove using a cold chisel to transform a 55 gal. barrel with a stove kit...we never got around to pounding the gravel point,(sore subject-lol-) so we just kept hauling water from the spring(which I later discovered was just a slough-lol-)...I could haul five 5-gal buckets of water at a time on the occhio sled with Chico-(that dog was so wonderful-he did it all....wood, water, supplies from the traihead,etc-)
    -chinked the logs with moss ; was another year before completing with the sod roof(just had roofing paper and a blue tarp). -the wall tent actually had been warmer than the cabin that first winter-
    -the pic on the upper left,the kids and the wall tent, was taken after we had moved into the cabin-

-lots of good memories, something the kids wil probably never forget...
    -thanks for letting me ramble-

...a few more, hope you don't mind-

...I really miss it up there, sometimes...

-I had gotten off the wheeler to take the pic- the boys were't riding it themselves...after Rebekah was born in '01, I could put her on my back, and drive the wheeler with the 3 boys sitting in front of me the 4 miles-(we went slow)-

....one more...

-gardening was kind of a challenge-
    -tried various things...herbs, squash, etc-
    but the potatoes , zucchini, and broccoli grew great-

aksheephuntress, Loved those pictures. It is beautiful country up that way.

Reminds me that breakup and gardening are just around the corner here.

Thanks for sharing.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast